Summer is right around the corner, and I’ve been thinking about all things ocean! So today we have the cutest little octopus craft to share with you. It’s made using a cupcake liner and is a simple craft to make to go along with ocean themes.
I don’t know about you, but somehow I always end up with extra cupcake liners in my kitchen.
Sometimes, I grab them when they are on sale and forget I have them.
So on a whim I decided we needed to do a craft to use some up, and I think this little cupcake liner octopus turned out super cute!
Cupcake Liner Octopus Ocean Craft
- cupcake liners
- construction paper
- googly eyes
- glue stick
*Note: A glue stick should be used for this craft instead of school glue, because school glue makes the cupcake liner too wet.
First, cut eight strips of colored construction paper. Our strips were about six inches long.
Next, curl the ends of all of the strips of paper. To do this, we used a pencil and wrap the ends of the paper around it, about halfway up. You cal also use a paper, craft stick, marker, etc. to help curl the paper.
Bend the flat ends of the curled paper strips inward. This will make the octopus legs stick out nicely after being glued to the cupcake liner.
Glue the ends of the paper strips around the edges of the cupcake liner and continue all the way around as shown below.
Now it’s time to make a face! Attach googly eyes using a glue stick.
Next, use a marker to draw a mouth on the octopus.
And that’s it!
These also look very cute hanging from the ceiling to make them look like they are swimming! Just attach string from the top center and you’ll a very cute decoration for an ocean or under-the-sea theme.
Ocean Activities for Kids
Looking for more ocean activities for kids? You will love these clever, free resources and ideas:
- Ocean Color by Number Worksheets
- Build an Ocean Scene with this fun Fractions Activity
- Ocean Simple Coloring Pages
- Pearl Color Matching activity
- Printable Whale Cards
- Try this Watercolor and Crayon Ocean Craft
- Ocean Printable Count & Trace for prek / k
- Cupcake Liner Octopus Craft
- Ocean Life Sensory Bin
- O is for Ocean Weekly Theme for Prek / K
- Ocean Animals Printable Pack
- All About Pinnipeds (Seals, Sea Lions, & Walrus)
- Tons of ideas for a weeks worth of fun learning with an Ocean Theme
- Octopus Color Matching Craft
50 Amazing Ocean Crafts for Kids