Are you looking for some fun ways to help encourage your children to write more? Do they love learning about whales – the massive creatures in the ocean? Then they will love these free printable ocean writing prompts featuring the giant of the water world – the whale! These free printable writing prompts are perfect for kindergarten, first grade, 2nd grade, 3rd grade, 4th grade, 5th grade, and 6th grade students.
Ocean Writing Prompts
Have you ever sat down with an empty page in front of you and a pencil in hand with plans to start writing a paragraph, story, or report? It can be intimidating to get started. That blank page seems to stare at you almost taunting you to write something good. Children who are just learning to write have an especially hard time figuring out unique topics to write about. Once you mention something they are interested in or excited to write about, the writing prompt get students’ creative juices flowing. These super cute, free ocean writing prompts are sure to get kindergartners, grade 1, grade 2, grade 3, grade 4, grade 5, and grade 6 students excited about writing!
To help children keep writing, which is such a crucial skill for early learners to become proficient writing and forming cohesive ideas, we created these fun writing prompts based on the largest animal to ever roam planet Earth – the whale! Children will be working on crucial skills such as their spelling and grammar skills as well as sentence structure.
Free printable writing prompts
Take a peak at all our FREE creative writing prompts for elementary age kids!
Printable Writing Prompts
The pages are in black and white to save you on printing costs. So pick the sheets you want to hand out and print them off and give the pages to your child. This is also great for helping students focus on handwriting practice too!
In this pack, there are three different types of reading prompts about fourteen different species of whales.
- There are four pages of writing prompts that include a space for children to draw a picture of the whale, a word bank consisting of six words that children can use in their writing and writing lines at the bottom of the page.
- The second set of prompts include a large black and white picture of a whale and then one sentence about the whale. Children can continue to describe the whale in the lines at the bottom of the page.
- The last six pages of the pack include a picture of a whale and then lines. Children can use these lines to write a factual story about the whale of they can get creative and write about the whale in a fictional story.
This pack is completely in black and white to not only save on printer ink costs, but to allow children to get creative and add illustrations or decorations to their writing. Kids can colour the pages with Crayola crayons, markers, colored pencils, or their favorite art tool.
NOTE: There are two sets of lines as well, one of the younger children and one set for the older children.
Want to learn more about this amazing animal? Check out this huge resource for kids prek-8th grade to learn All About Whales.
Ocean Activities for Kids
Looking for more ocean activities for kids? You will love these clever, free resources and ideas:
- Ocean Color by Number Printable
- 50 Amazing Ocean Crafts for Kids
- Build an Ocean Scene with this fun Fractions Activity
- Simple Under the Sea Coloring Pages
- Pearl Color Matching Ganes
- Try this Watercolor and Crayon Ocean Craft
- Breeding Guppies – an outrageously FUN Fish Science Experiments
- Read and Dab Kindergarten Sight Word Worksheets pdf
- Ocean Animal Counting and Trace Do a Dot Printables
- Alphabet Go Fish Game
- Color Matching Octopus Activity for kids
- Cute Hands & Feet Lobster Craft
- Shell Letter Matching Ocean Activities for Preschoolers
- Sharks for Kids Reader
- Sea Turtles for Kids Reader
- Free Printable Whale Writing Prompts
- All About Fish Printable Reader
- Ocean Counting Clip Cards
- Cupcake Liner Octopus Craft
- O is for Ocean Weekly Theme for Prek / K
- Tons of ideas for a weeks worth of fun learning with an Ocean Theme
- Cute One Fish Two Fish Pdf
- Ocean Printable Multiplication Game
- Fun to play with Ocean Slime
- FREE Ocean Coloring Pages
- Cut and Paste Fish Craft
- Printable Crab Contraction Ocean Activity for Kids
- Kid favorite Goldfish Printable Counting Activity
- Goldfish Subtraction Games for Kindergarten
- Sand Volcano – EASY Summer Science Experiment for Kids
- Disolving Seashell Activities – a Summer Science Experiment
- Super Simple Sand Slime
- Crack the Code Worksheets with ocean themed pages
- Under the Sea Lego Challenge Printables
- 50+ pages of Ocean Worksheets for practicing math and litearcy with pre-k, kindergarten, and first graders
- Sandcastle Subtraction Craft
- Fun Sandcastle Letter Matching – Summer Activities for Kindergarten
- Hands-on Sandcastle Colour Matching Activities
- Sandcastle Letter tracing Summer Activity for Preschoolers
- Count and Trace Numbers 1-10 Sandcastle Summer Activities for Preschoolers
- Sandcastle Number Playdough Mats to count and trace
- Summer STEAM – Sandcastle engineering with tp rolls
- Ice Cream Sandcastle Summer Snack Idea
- Sand Bucket & Shovel Letter Matching – Summer Activities for Kindergarten
- Beach Summer Experiment with a Density Tower
- Free Beach Worksheets for Preschoolers, kindergartners, and grade 1
Don’t miss the other animal studies we’ve created!
- Discover All About Whales Worksheets pdf
- All About Pinnipeds – seals, sea lions, walrus life cycle, and more
- Learn About Herps – sea turtle worksheets, sea snakes, aquatic frogs, toads, salamander, and more!
- All About Fish, Sharks, and Rays
- Get to know Mollusks, Cephalopods, & Crustaceans for Kids (crabs, lobsters, octopus, bivalves, clams)
- All About Echinoderms and Cnidarians (Jellyfish, Sea Stars, Sand Dollars, Coral)
- Huge Ocean Animals for Kids Unit (250+ pages)
Free Writing Prompts
Looking for more writing activities? Try these
- On the Farm Writing Prompts
- FREE Printable Handwriting Paper
- Roll a Character – Fun Writing Activities for Kindergarten
- Jungle Writing Prompts
- Star Wars Writing Prompts
- Spring Writing Prompts
- October Writing Prompts
- Picture Writing Prompts Kindergarten
- Pattern Writing
- March Writing Prompts
- Farm Writing Prompts
- Whale Ocean Writing Prompts
- Pineapple Writing Activities for Kindergarten
- Build and Write Lego Writing Prompts
- Free Winter Writing Prompts
- Roll a Character Writing Activity
- Free Autumn Writing Prompts
- **Plus don’t miss all 500+ pages of Fun Writing Prompts for kids of all ages!
Free Writing Prompts
By downloading from my site you agree to the following:
- This is for personal or personal classroom use only
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!