Are you looking for some fun ways to help encourage your children to write more? Do they love learning about whales – the massive creatures in the ocean? Then they will love these free Whale themed Printable Writing Prompts.
Printable Writing Prompts
Have you ever sat down with an empty page in front of you and a pencil in hand with plans to start writing a paragraph, story, or report? It can be intimidating to get started. That blank page seems to stare at you almost taunting you to write something good. Children who are just learning to write have an especially hard time figuring out unique topics to write about. Once you mention something they are interested in or excited to write about, the writing prompt get students’ creative juices flowing.
To help children keep writing, which is such a crucial skill for early learners to become proficient writing and forming cohesive ideas, we created these fun writing prompts based on the largest animal to ever roam planet Earth – the whale! These ocean creative writing prompts are great for kindergarten, first grade, 2nd grade, 3rd grade, 4th grade, 5th grade, and 6th grade students. By practicing writing with these whale printables, children will be working on crucial skills such as their spelling and grammar skills as well as sentence structure.
Take a peak at all our FREE creative writing prompts for elementary age kids!
Creative Writing Ideas
The pages are in black and white to save you on printing costs. So pick the sheets you want to hand out and print them off and give the pages to your child. This is also great for helping students focus on handwriting practice too!
In this pack, there are three different types of reading prompts about fourteen different species of whales.
- There are four pages of writing prompts that include a space for children to draw a picture of the whale, a word bank consisting of six words that children can use in their writing and writing lines at the bottom of the page.
- The second set of prompts include a large black and white picture of a whale and then one sentence about the whale. Children can continue to describe the whale in the lines at the bottom of the page.
- The last six pages of the pack include a picture of a whale and then lines. Children can use these lines to write a factual story about the whale of they can get creative and write about the whale in a fictional story.
This pack is completely in black and white to not only save on printer ink costs, but to allow children to get creative and add illustrations or decorations to their writing. Kids can colour the pages with Crayola crayons, markers, colored pencils, or their favorite art tool.
NOTE: There are two sets of lines as well, one of the younger children and one set for the older children.
Want to learn more about this amazing animal? Check out this huge resource for kids prek-8th grade to learn All About Whales.
Ocean Activities for Kids
Looking for more ocean activities for kids? You will love these clever, free resources and ideas:
- Ocean Color by Number Worksheets
- Build an Ocean Scene with this fun Fractions Activity
- Ocean Simple Coloring Pages
- Pearl Color Matching activity
- Printable Whale Cards
- Try this Watercolor and Crayon Ocean Craft
- Ocean Printable Count & Trace for prek / k
- Cupcake Liner Octopus Craft
- Ocean Life Sensory Bin
- O is for Ocean Weekly Theme for Prek / K
- Ocean Animals Printable Pack
- All About Pinnipeds (Seals, Sea Lions, & Walrus)
- Tons of ideas for a weeks worth of fun learning with an Ocean Theme
- Octopus Color Matching Craft
- 50 Amazing Ocean Crafts for Kids
Free Writing Prompts
Looking for more writing activities? Try these
- On the Farm Writing Prompts
- FREE Printable Handwriting Paper
- Roll a Character – Fun Writing Activities for Kindergarten
- Jungle Writing Prompts
- Star Wars Writing Prompts
- Spring Writing Prompts
- October Writing Prompts
- Picture Writing Prompts Kindergarten
- Pattern Writing
- March Writing Prompts
- Farm Writing Prompts
- Whale Ocean Writing Prompts
- Pineapple Writing Activities for Kindergarten
- Build and Write Lego Writing Prompts
- Free Winter Writing Prompts
- Roll a Character Writing Activity
- Free Autumn Writing Prompts
- **Plus don’t miss all 500+ pages of Fun Writing Prompts for kids of all ages!
Free Writing Prompts
By downloading from my site you agree to the following:
- This is for personal or personal classroom use only
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!