Make writing fun and enjoyable for kids with these drawing writing prompts for kids! This fun writing activities for kindergarten, first grade, 2nd grade, 3rd grade, 4th grade, 5th grade, and 6th grade students add a fun drawing prompt can lead to silly stories seems to be a great trick for getting excited about learning. These roll a character dice are set up to introduce really silly characters that they can use as a starting point in a new story. Simply print the roll a story free printable and you are ready to start creating!
Fun writing activities for kindergarten
I know my kids are not the only ones adverse to writing. It would be great if they could find the love of writing themselves so I enjoy finding fun activities that involve writing. They usually don’t balk at writing when they’re having fun and I hope they internalize their enjoyment. This Roll a Character Fun Writing Activities is perfect for help kinds get excited about writing! Use these fun writing prompts with kindergartners, grade 1, grade 2, grade 3, and grade 4 students.
Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – you will love that this makes writing fun for kids. Use this as extra practice, in literacy center, summer learning, or supplement to your homeschool writing curriculum.
Roll a story free printable
Fun Writing Activitiy
There are 3 parts to this set – the dice, the drawing/writing pages, and the booklet.
There are 4 dice – two for adjectives, one for nouns, and a final one for verbs. We talk about parts of speech a lot while doing mad libs, but this way a great way to reinforce the idea that the adjectives describe the nouns.
So the first step is to roll your dice. We just started with the adjectives and nouns as we really just wanted to create a character. The first one we got was a Majestic, Confused Trash Can.
That was definitely motivational! We found the irony quite amusing.
Fun Writing Activitiy
We used the drawing page to sketch a picture and write one sentence.
Then we used the 8-page mini book (see how to make them here!) to write a few more facts, hobbies, and draw another photo.
I love the mini book because it’s something they can create and own.
Fun writing activities for 1st grade
We didn’t use the verb die, but if you find your kids are stuck on what their character can do, use it for inspiration!
Don’t miss all our 3rd grade worksheets and our other worksheets for kids from prek-12th grade students. We have free printable math worksheets, english worksheets, history for kids, cool science experiments, and even fun activities for kids to go with every season and holiday throughout the year!
Free Writing Prompts
- Roll a Story Free Printable, Caption this picture writing prompts, let’s make a scene movie worksheets
- On the Farm Writing Prompts, free Farm Writing Prompts with ruled lines and pictures to color
- FREE Printable Community helpers writing activity kindergarten, Opinion Writing Kindergarten Printables Free
- All About My Pet Free Printable Writing Activity and Dinosaur Writing Prompts
- FREE Printable kindergarten writing paper pdf and printable kindergarten writing prompts with pictures
- Unicorn Writing Prompts, free Lego Writing Ideas, creative FREE Printable Whale Worksheets
- Jungle Animals Creative Writing about Animals, Fairty Tale Writing Templates pdf, try Pattern Writing
- Mother’s Day Writing Prompts for Kindergarten, FREE Pineapple Writing, Pet Adoption Persuasive Writing Activity
- Star Wars Writing Prompts, Fun Writing Prompts for Kids pdf, Handy, FREE Printable COPS writing checklist
Seasonal / Monthly Writing Prompts
- ❄️️ Kindergarten Winter Writing Prompts pdf, free Winter Writing Prompts Kindergarten, Free Winter Writing Worksheets for Kindergartners, Snowman Winter Writing Prompts pdf
- 💌 Valentines Day Valentine’s Day Letter Template, free February Writing Calendar, Free February Writing Prompts Kindergarten, 💋 February Writing Prompts with ruled lines
- 🍀 March Journal Prompts with ruled lines, March Writing Prompts Calendar
- 🌺 Spring Writing Prompts Calendar, Spring Kindergarten Writing Prompts, April Writing Prompts Kindergarten with ruled lines, Lego Writing Prompts for April, April Writing Prompts 3rd Grade Calendar, April Writing Prompts Calendar
- 🌳 May Writing Prompts with ruled lines, May Writing Prompts 2nd Grade Calendar
- 🔆 Summer Writing Prompts with ruled lines, Lego Build and Tell Summer Writing Prompts, June Writing Prompts Calendar, Build and Write Lego Writing Prompts for Summer
- 🍎 September Writing Prompts 3rd Grade, September Writing Prompts with ruled lines
- 🎃 Columbus Day FREE Printables with ruled lines, October Writing Prompts 2nd Grade with ruled lines, Simple Halloween Writign Prompts, October Writing Prompts Kindergarten Calendar, BINGO October Writing Prompts Challenge for Kids
- 🦃 Fall Writing Prompts with word bank, November Writing Prompts 2nd Grade with ruled lines, Thanksgiving Writing Prompts. Thanksgiving Writing Prompts
- 🎄 Christmas Writing Prompts, December Writing Prompts 2nd Grade, Christmas Elf Writing Prompts, Free Printable Christmas Stationary, December Writing Prompts 2nd Grade
Printable Writing Activity
Before you grab your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All material provided on this blog is copyright protected.
These are awesome–thank you!!
I have a very reluctant writer. Getting him to write ANYTHING is like pulling teeth.
I printed out this writing game. He wrote about an immense quirky shark who likes to surprise his friends. When all done my son said “that was awesome! Can we do that again another day?”.