Getting kids to write, and enjoy writing, can be tricky. My kids respond best to run writing where they don’t even think twice! Fun drawing prompts that lead to silly stories seems to be a great trick for them. These dice are set up to introduce really silly characters that they can use as a starting point in a new story.
Roll a Character Fun Writing Activity
I know my kids are not the only ones adverse to writing. It would be great if they could find the love of writing themselves so I enjoy finding fun activities that involve writing. They usually don’t balk at writing when they’re having fun and I hope they internalize their enjoyment. Maybe one day they will externally realize how much they enjoy writing. Hopefully this Roll a Character Fun Writing Activity will help.
How to Set Up the Roll a Character Writing
There are 3 parts to this set – the dice, the drawing/writing pages, and the booklet.
There are 4 dice – two for adjectives, one for nouns, and a final one for verbs. We talk about parts of speech a lot while doing mad libs, but this way a great way to reinforce the idea that the adjectives describe the nouns.
So the first step is to roll your dice. We just started with the adjectives and nouns as we really just wanted to create a character. The first one we got was a Majestic, Confused Trash Can.
That was definitely motivational! We found the irony quite amusing.
We used the drawing page to sketch a picture and write one sentence.
Then we used the 8-page mini book (see how to make them here!) to write a few more facts, hobbies, and draw another photo.
I love the mini book because it’s something they can create and own.
We didn’t use the verb die, but if you find your kids are stuck on what their character can do, use it for inspiration!
Free Writing Prompts
Looking for more writing activities? Try these
- On the Farm Writing Prompts
- FREE Printable Handwriting Paper
- Roll a Character – Fun Writing Activities for Kindergarten
- Jungle Writing Prompts
- Star Wars Writing Prompts
- Spring Writing Prompts
- October Writing Prompts
- Picture Writing Prompts Kindergarten
- Pattern Writing
- March Writing Prompts
- Farm Writing Prompts
- Whale Ocean Writing Prompts
- Pineapple Writing Activities for Kindergarten
- Build and Write Lego Writing Prompts
- Free Winter Writing Prompts
- Roll a Character Writing Activity
- Free Autumn Writing Prompts
- **Plus don’t miss all 500+ pages of Fun Writing Prompts for kids of all ages!
Don’t miss all our 3rd grade worksheets and our other worksheets for kids from prek-12th grade students. We have free printable math worksheets, english worksheets, history for kids, cool science experiments, and even fun activities for kids to go with every season and holiday throughout the year!
Download Roll a Character Fun Writing Activity
Before you download your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All downloadable material provided on this blog is copyright protected.