Many children experience difficulty during writing lessons. They often express an inability to come up with material or a frustration with spelling or grammar mistakes. Writing is a process that involves thinking up a concept, spelling and grammar skills. Taking the process bit by bit while offering a fun topic can encourage the writing process.
Tips to Encourage Writing in Young Children
- Allow for free writing. Free Writing is a process where the child writes without the pressure of considering or correcting spelling or grammar mistakes.
- Vocabulary brainstorming. Get out a whiteboard or just a notebook and sit down with your child and create a word bank for the topic selected to write about.
- Active reading. Reading is a wonderful way to introduce your child to sentence structure and text flow. As you read with your child have him pick out adjectives, verbs, and take notice of punctuation. In addition, point out how thoughts are express and ask your child to use different words to express the same meaning.
- Have your child narrate while you dictate. Read a short story and ask your child to retell it to you. You may also ask your child to retell a fairy tale. This process helps your child put his thoughts in order. While your child is narrating, you will be writing down each word exactly as expressed. Once the child is finished, show your child what you have written. No need to correct it the first few times. The point is for your child to see his words on paper. You can encourage narration with Making Narration Fun.
- Pick topics your child is interested in or knows about. It is always easier to write what you know and that is especially true of children. Picking a topic your child feels comfortable in will aid in relieving the stress of writing.
- Writing prompts. A blank page is intimidating. Proving writing prompts can get the creative juices flowing. Humor is a great motivator so you may want to check out Funny Writing Prompts.
FREE Unicorn Writing Prompts
Magical Unicorn Writing Prompts to Teach Writing
If you need a magical way to encourage writing then download Magical Unicorn Writing Prompts. The download sparks a child’s imagination while guiding the writing process through a writing prompt and having the child first write thoughts on what happens first, next, and last. Finally, your child can write a story of choice on unicorn writing sheets. You know what they say, “remember to always be yourself, unless you can be a unicorn then be a unicorn.”
Free Writing Prompts
- March Creative Writing Prompts
- Jungle Writing Prompts
- Scripture Cursive Writing Prompts
- April Creative Writing Prompts
- Printable Handwriting Paper
Download FREE Unicorn Writing Prompts
Before you download your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All downloadable material provided on this blog is copyright protected.