If you are looking for some fun ideas to get your child writing more, I’ve got you covered. These free printable October writing prompts are just what you’ve been looking for to keep your first grade, 2nd grade, 3rd grade, and 4th grade child happily writing all month long. Each October creative writing prompts includes a cute clipart to color, a story starter, and ruled lines to guide students.
October Writing Prompts
Getting kids lots of practice writing is crucial for so many early literacy skills. It doesn’t have to be beautiful handwriting, perfect spelling, or text book grammar – but they do need lots of practice! The more kindergarten, grade 1, grade 2, grade 3, and grade 4 students practice making sentences, using proper punctuation / capitalization, and expressing themselves, the better they will get. These October Writing Prompts are a handy tool to keep kids writing without prep work for the parent, teacher, or homeschooling family.
October creative writing prompts
Creative writing prompts contain a super cute black & white clipart illustration your child can color with crayons markers or colored pencils. They also contain an October writing prompt ruled lines with space for your child to write. Each sheet has both large ruled lines with three lines per page and smaller lined paper for older elementary age students with 6 lines per page.
Writing prompts included in these writing worksheets for fall include:
- It’s Columbus Day! If you could explore any part of the world what would it be?
- What would happen if you ate too much candy? Why?
- One morning I woke up in a pumpkin patch and . . .
- What are you dress up as for Halloween? Why?
- Write a story about a scarecrow.
- What kind of Jack-o-Lantern would you like to carve?
- My favorite subject is ___ because
- What is your favorite outdoor activity in October?
- You may not know this about me, but I’m afraid of . . .
- What’s your favorite thing about your family?
- If I could skip school today I would . . . .
- Write an imaginary story about a bat that lives in your basement.
- Free pumpkin activity printables that uses Pumpkin Candy to Count and Trace
- Practicing Counting with Pumpkin Seed Counting Activity
- Pumpkin Letter Tracing – use with a dry erase marker or playdough
- Super cute parts of a pumpkin craft to help kids learn the parts of a pumpkin
- Improve reading with this fun Word Family Pumpkin Activities for Kindergarten
- Fall Addition Sticker Worksheets are a fun, hands-on math worksheet
- Pumpkin Pie Number Sense Activities for Preschoolers
- Pumpkin Shape Matching Game to practice shape recognition with kids
- Practice sight words with this fun Pumpkin Sight Word Game
- These super cute Pumpkin Alphabet puzzles allow children to practice letter tracing as well as working on beginning sounds
- Lots of FUN October Activities for Kids
- Make practicing math fun with this super cute, Pumpkin Patch Math Game
- These fun pumpkin addition task cards are super cute and make practicing fun for kids
- Sneak in some fun practice with these homophone puzzles
- Grab this free Pumpkin Life Cycle Worksheet pack to learn about the life cycle of pumpkins
- Trace and Erase to practice again with this handy Pumpkin Letter Tracing printable
- Super cute pumpkin pie counting activity – pile on the “whip cream”
- Pumpkin Word Family Slides Printables
- Practice making shapes with these pumpkin shapes playdough mats
- Grab these Pumpkin Addition Worksheets for a no prep math activity for young learners
- This find the letter free pumpkin activity printables
- Adorable Pumpkin preschool pie craft for practicing counting!
- Hands on Pumpkin Shape Games for Preshoolers
- Work on One to One Correspondence Kindergarten with this pumpkin pie themed math activity
- Work on Number Bonds to 10 with these pumpkin themed math worksheets for kindergarten and grade 1
- Kids will love this Pumpkin Phonics activity where they will work on beginning sounds to put together these alphabet puzzles.
- Trace numbers and work on 1:1 correspondence with this free pumpkin activity printables
Download October Writing Prompts
By downloading from my site you agree to the following:
- This is for personal use only (to share please share a link to this post so others can download their own copy.)
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from Scrappin Doodles #94836
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!