Make practicing contractions for kids fun with this free printable activity for students featuring super cute Crab Contraction Word Puzzles!
A contraction word is a word made by shortening and combining two words. Words like I’ll (I + will) and she’s (she + is) are all contractions taught in English grammar (language arts) typically in early elementary school – grade 1, grade 2, grade 3, and grade 4.
The best way for kids to learn which combination of words can make contractions is by practicing a lot. We love turning learning into a game so kids are excited about learning and engaged with the material; it also helps them remember it better too. You can see the contractions grammar list farther down in this post.
Don’t miss all our many other 1st Grade Worksheets!
Cut along dotted lines and put in two piles: contraction crabs and word pinchers/arms.
Whether you are a parent looking for fun supplemental activities for summer learning, classroom teacher looking for a clever literacy center activity, or a homeschooler looking for learning activities to make the material stick – you will love this free contractions for kids activity that helps students in first grade, 2nd grade, 3rd grade, and fourth grade master common contractions.
List of Contractions
Here are the contraction words list included in this grammar activity:
- we’ll – we will
- I’m – I am
- didn’t – did not
- she’s – she is
- wasn’t – was not
- isn’t – is not
- you’re – you are
- you’ve – you have
- they’re – they are
- you’ll – you will
- I’ve – I have
- he’s – he has
- don’t – do not
- I’m – I am
- won’t – will not
- haven’t – have not
- I’d – I had
- can’t – can not
- we’ll – we will
- he’s – he is
- it’s – it is
- could’ve – could have
- hasn’t – has not
- aren’t – are not
HINT: You can make them self correcting if you like by placing a color/shape sticker on the back of the crab and the corresponding arms for students to check at the end of the activity.
- Band Aid Contraction Game
- Minion Contraction Words Game
- Doctor Contraction Words Game
- Contraction Dominoes
- You may also want learn dictionary skills with Dictionary Detectives
- Or learn about parts of speech with Taboo Grammar Game
- Practice Building Sentences with this Pizza Parlor Activity
Learn more about crabs and other mollusks in our All About Crustaceans, Mollusks & Cephalopods Lesson!
For more crab themed activities try these:
- crack the code math worksheets
- ocean color by number worksheets
- beach themed worksheets
- free ocean coloring pages
- ocean fraction activity
- ocean crafts
First Grade Printables
If you have a 1st grader and you are looking for more fun, hands on grade 1 worksheets, games and activities to make learning fun – you will love these resources!
- Over 5000+ pages of 1st grade Worksheets
- 100 Books 1st Graders can Read Themselves with free 1st grade reading books pdf
- Chapter Books for 1st Graders
- 1st Grade Book Report Template
- Free Cut and Paste Worksheets
- Solar System Worksheets Pack
- Printable Sight Words List
- First Grade Word Search Printable
- Free printable 1st grade math worksheets
- Gumball Math Worksheets to practice addition & subtraction
- Life-size Human Body Project with free printable template
- 1st Grade Reading Games – Reading the Easy Way 1st Grade
- Fun, hands-on Counting Coins Games
- Over 500 pages of Kindergarten Writing Prompts Free
- Sentence Scramble Worksheets
- Princess Color by Sight Word Worksheets
- Time Puzzles make learning to use a clock FUN
- HUGE Ocean Animals for Kids Unit
- Discover 16 Countries for Kids
- Crack the Code Worksheets for practicing math while having fun
- Learn about Animal Classifications for Kids with these free printable cootie catchers
- Fun, hands-on History Lessons for kids
- Lots of 1st Grade Science Projects
- Over 1+ million pages of Free Printable Worksheets
Download Crab Contraction Puzzles
By downloading from my site you agree to the following:
- This is for personal use only (to use in a coop or classroom please purchase a classroom licensed edition here TPT store)
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from Scrappin Doodles #94836, EduClips, The Enlightened Elephant, MelonHeadz
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!