Make practicing contractions for kids fun with this free printable activity for students featuring super cute Crab Contraction Word Puzzles!
A contraction word is a word made by shortening and combining two words. Words like I’ll (I + will) and she’s (she + is) are all contractions taught in English grammar (language arts) typically in early elementary school – grade 1, grade 2, grade 3, and grade 4.
The best way for kids to learn which combination of words can make contractions is by practicing a lot. We love turning learning into a game so kids are excited about learning and engaged with the material; it also helps them remember it better too. You can see the contractions grammar list farther down in this post.
Don’t miss all our many other 1st Grade Worksheets!
Cut along dotted lines and put in two piles: contraction crabs and word pinchers/arms.
Whether you are a parent looking for fun supplemental activities for summer learning, classroom teacher looking for a clever literacy center activity, or a homeschooler looking for learning activities to make the material stick – you will love this free contractions for kids activity that helps students in first grade, 2nd grade, 3rd grade, and fourth grade master common contractions.
List of Contractions
Here are the contraction words list included in this grammar activity:
- we’ll – we will
- I’m – I am
- didn’t – did not
- she’s – she is
- wasn’t – was not
- isn’t – is not
- you’re – you are
- you’ve – you have
- they’re – they are
- you’ll – you will
- I’ve – I have
- he’s – he has
- don’t – do not
- I’m – I am
- won’t – will not
- haven’t – have not
- I’d – I had
- can’t – can not
- we’ll – we will
- he’s – he is
- it’s – it is
- could’ve – could have
- hasn’t – has not
- aren’t – are not
HINT: You can make them self correcting if you like by placing a color/shape sticker on the back of the crab and the corresponding arms for students to check at the end of the activity.
- Band Aid Contraction Game
- Minion Contraction Words Game
- Doctor Contraction Words Game
- Contraction Dominoes
- You may also want learn dictionary skills with Dictionary Detectives
- Or learn about parts of speech with Taboo Grammar Game
- Practice Building Sentences with this Pizza Parlor Activity
Learn more about crabs and other mollusks in our All About Crustaceans, Mollusks & Cephalopods Lesson!
For more crab themed activities try these:
- crack the code math worksheets
- ocean color by number worksheets
- beach themed worksheets
- free ocean coloring pages
- ocean fraction activity
- ocean crafts
Looking for more fun, creative ways you can begin homeschooling for free? See more of our 1st grade worksheets plus our history lesson plans, free math games, english worksheets, sight words activities, alphabet worksheets, and cvc word games for kids of all ages!
Download Crab Contraction Puzzles
By downloading from my site you agree to the following:
- This is for personal use only (to use in a coop or classroom please purchase a classroom licensed edition here TPT store)
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from Scrappin Doodles #94836, EduClips, The Enlightened Elephant, MelonHeadz
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!