Make practicing completing patterns in early math with this fun, ice cream themed patterns activity. This fun pattern activities is perfect for summer learning, ice cream theme, or anytime you want to sneak in a delicious math activity for kids. These are an engaging pattern activities for kindergarten, toddler, preschool, pre-k, and first grade is perfect for summer learning or an ice cream theme. Students will use the ice cream printables to complete the patterns and scoop up the ice cream cone. Simply download pdf file with patterns printable and you are ready to play and learn.
Patterns are important for children to learn. This is a skill that will lead them to other crucial skills. Patterns will help children with prediction skills as they begin to process the ‘what comes next’ concept. Pattern activities also help children with logical thinking and reasoning skills. Since patterns can be found everywhere in our lives, this is a very important skill for children to learn. This Ice Cream Cone Pattern activity for kids will be the highlight of your children’s summer activities! Use this pattern activities for preschoolers, kindergartners, and grade 1 students.
Fun pattern activities
This activity starts with Ice Cream Cone pattern cards. These help with patterns including 2 – 7 points. We explore the AB, ABC, and ABAB patterns.
- Clothes Pins
- A Paint Stick
- Markers (optional)
- Our Printable Set
Pattern activity for kids
Our set comes with the pattern cards, an ice cream cone that can be cut out as well as mini ice cream scoops.
You can use the mini ice cream scoops or markers for this. We’ll explore this more later.
Start with your printable cone and the paint stick. Paint sticks can be found at most hardware stores and are typically free!
Pattern activities for kindergarten
We cut out the cone and glued it onto the paint stick. We left space for little hands to hold the stick under the cone and enough space for the clothes pins on the top.
For the clothes pins, you can either use the mini ice cream scoops or a marker. The significance of this is that this is how children will create the patterns. They will use the color on the pattern card and match it to the color on the clothes pin and put it in place.
You can cut out and glue on the mini scoops or put a dot with a marker. We did both. You could also use a hot glue gun to affix a pom pom to the clothespin.
Pattern activities for preschoolers
Once the activity is prepped, lay everything out for your kids.
We started with the 2 scoops and went up from there. Holding the paint stick cone, we searched through the clothes pins to find the ones needed to make the pattern. Then stick the clothes pin onto the side of the paint stick to create the pattern.
Not only is this helping children with patterns, but picking up and attaching the clothes pins onto the paint stick is helping children strengthen the fine motor muscles that are needed for future skills.
Ice Cream Printables
If you are looking for more ice cream activities to add to your ice cream theme of summer learning, check these out!
- AMAZING, Edible Play Doh Ice Cream Recipe that scoops like ice creaam!
- Ice Cream Themed, Summer Bucket List Ideas
- Work on tracing letter with these free printable Ice Cream Alphabet
- Delicious Ice Cream Alphabet Puzzles to help kids practice matching upper and lowercase letters
- Plus check out these Ice Cream Alpabet Playdough Mats
- Practice adding to to with these cute Ice Cream Make 10 Game
- Cute, Hands-on Ice Cream Number Bonds Practice
- Printable Digraph Activity scooping Ice Cream
- Ice Cream Compound Words Activity
Ice Cream Theme
- FUN Ice Cream Place Value Activity fo kindergarten and first graders
- Or scoop a sunday with this Place Value Activity for grade 1, grade 2, and grade 3 students
- Cut and paste sentences with this Sentence Scrambles to make your own Ice Cream Reader for pre-k, kindergarten, and first grade students
- Practice adding Ice Cream scoop endings to words with this suffixes activity
- Color Matching Ice Cream Activity
- TONS of cute Ice Cream Craft Preschool
- Simple Ice Cream Coloring Pages
- Fun and EASY How to Make your own Ice Cream in a Bag
- Try our delicious and EASY homemade vanilla ice cream
- Or whip up some ice cream this winter with this outrageously fun and super YUMMY How to Make Snow Ice Cream
- Practice Addition with this Ice Cream Math task cards using playdough!
Ice Cream Activities for Preschoolers
- Cute Ice Cream I Spy Worksheet
- Make practicing math fun with these fun Ice Cream Math Worksheets
- Simple Ice Cream craft using washi tape for toddlers, preschoolers and kindergartners.
- Fun-to-Make, Printable Ice Cream Math Craft
- Count to 20 as you Build your Ice Cream Math Sundae
- Scoop up Ice Cream Counting Printable
- Ice Cream Math Game Book Based Activity for Kindergartners
- I is for Ice Cream handart project for kids
- Practice completing patterns with this FUN Ice Cream Pattern Printable
- Fun Ice Cream themed Shape Playdough Mats
Ice Cream Activities for Kids
Looking for more fun ways to learn this summer with popsicle themed activities? You will love these free printables:
- Summer activities for preschoolers making Popsicle Alphabet Puzzles
- Ice Cream Division Puzzles make practicing math FUN
- Popsicle Count to 10 clip cards are a fun, educational Summer Activities for Preschoolers
- Trace the Letters on the Alphabet Popsicles in this Summer Activity for Preschoolers
- Work on Number Sense with these Counting Summer Activity for Preschool Puzzles
- 2 ingredient Gummy Bear Popsicles are so COLORFUL and EASY!
Before you download your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All downloadable material provided on this blog is copyright protected.