Kids will love this fun using the free ice cream printable for this Ice Cream Themed Compound Words Activity. This fun summer themed literacy activity shas kindergarten, first grade, 2nd grade, and 3rd grade students add ice cream scoop words to create the compound word pictured on the ice cream cone. This is such a fun by Simply download pdf file with compound words exercises and you are ready to play and learn!
Compound Words Activity
Early elementary age children tend to prefer a hands-on compound words activity than a compound words worksheet. So we’ve created this fun compound words activities to help kindergartners, grade 1, grade 2, and grade 3 students practic building compoundwords. Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – you will love this ice cream themed compound words printable activity which helps students strengthen their fine motor skill while working on their literacy skill. Use this compound words game for extra practice, at school or at home, summer learning, an ice cream or literacy activity or as part of an extra activity for those who finish their other work early.
Compound words exercises
At the bottom of the post you will find the pdf download file. Download this and print off all the pages. There are three compound words per page, with a total of twenty-seven different compound words such as backpack, strawberry, cupcake, dragonfly, footprint, toothbrush, snowman, hot dog, ladybug and starfish.
Compound words worksheet
To get this ready for your compound words game simply cut out each of the colored ice creams and the cones. Laminate for durability. Place all the ice cream parts in a pile and the cones in a separate pile.
When you are ready to play the Children will chose a cone from the pile and look at the picture on the cone.
- They will then go through the ice cream pile and find the two parts of the compound word.
- To extend learning, children can then practice writing the compound words down on paper.
Though this activity comes in color only, it is a great way for children to learn compound words and strengthen their fine motor skills.
Compound Words List
The following are the compound words included in this compound words actiities:
- backpack – back and pack
- bandaid – band and aid
- baseball – base and ball
- basketball – basket and ball
- butterfly – butter and fly
- cookbook cook and book
- cupcake – cup and cake
- dragonfly – dragon and fly
- footprint – foot and print
- groundhog – ground and hog
- hotdog – hot and dog
- ladybug – lady and bug
- mushroom – mush and room
- peanut – pea and nut
- pineapple – pine and apple
- rainbow – rain and bot
- sandcastle – sand and castle
- snowflake – snow and flake
- snowglobe – snow and globe
- snowman – snow and man
- starfish – star and fish
- sunglasses – sun and glasses
- superhero – super and hero
- toothbrush – tooth and brush
- toothpaste – tooth and paste
- strawberry – straw and berry
- watermelon – water and melon
Compound Word Activities
For more practice learning compound words for kids, try these fun compound word ideas for early learners!
- Learning Compound Words with Block – a fun compound words activities
- Compound Word Puzzles – print the free set in color or black and white (self-checking)
- Apple Compound Words for kids Worksheets
- Clip it Free Compound Word Cards
- 5 Free Compound Word Activities – including picture cards, worksheets, puzzles, and more!
- Compound Words Mini Pack
- Building Compound Words
- Rocket Rhyming Activity
- Winter Compound Word Activities – free printable set includes compound word worksheets and snowflake puzzles
- Free printable Compound Words for Kids printable readers
- Ice Cream Compound Words Activity
Summer worksheets for kindergarten
Looking for more fun, summer theme educational activities for prek and kinders? Check out these free summer printables!
- Summer Letter Matching Alphabet Puzzles
- Learn about life cycles with these ladybug life cycle worksheet
- Garden Kindergarten sight Word Activities
- Pail and Shovel Matching Letter Game for Summer
- I Spy Pirate Game
- Summer Handwriting Worksheets
- Hands-on Ice Cream Compound Word Activity
- Garden theme Telling Time Worksheets
- Seed FInd the Letter Summer Worksheets for Kindergarten
- Summer Lego Challenge
- Water Gun Parts of Speach Game
- Playdough Counting Mat Activity with Watermelon Seed Printable
- Summertime Dot Art Printables
- Free Printable Beach Worksheets
- Cute Flip Flip Letter Matching
- Bubble Math Worksheets
- Strawberry Picking Summer Rhyming Activity
Summer Worksheets for Kids
- Smores Kindergarten Math Worksheets
- Smore complete sentence game
- Cute Summer Worksheets for Preschoolers
- Fun Summer Color by Number pages to work on number recognition and hand muscles
- Work on writing with these June Writing Prompts
- Convenient Summer Writing Prompts with ruled lines and pictures to color
- Pool Summer Worksheets for Preschoolers
- HUGE pack of Garden Worksheets to practice a variety of math and literacy skills
- Summer Number Recognition Coloring Worksheets
- Cute Watermelon Seed Counting Worksheet
- Skip Counting Summer Worksheets
- Simple, Free Beach Coloring Pages
- Summer Activity Pages
- Seashell Alphabet Matching Activity
- Firefly Math Printable Counting Game
- Free Summer Worksheets for Kindergarten
- Sight Word Mazes – Summer Worksheets for Kindergarten
- Sun Summer Tracing Worksheets
- Pool Count and Trace Summer Activities for Kindergarten
- Sandcastle Letter Tracing Summer Activities for Kindergarten
In between reading a good book, sneak in some epic fun with these summer activities for kids of all ages:
Download Compound Words Snowflake Puzzles
Before you download your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All downloadable material provided on this blog is copyright protected.