Kids will love this fun using the free ice cream printable for this Ice Cream Themed Compound Words Activity. This fun summer themed literacy activity shas kindergarten, first grade, 2nd grade, and 3rd grade students add ice cream scoop words to create the compound word pictured on the ice cream cone. This is such a fun by Simply download pdf file with compound words exercises and you are ready to play and learn!
Compound Words Activity
Early elementary age children tend to prefer a hands-on compound words activity than a compound words worksheet. So we’ve created this fun compound words activities to help kindergartners, grade 1, grade 2, and grade 3 students practic building compoundwords. Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – you will love this ice cream themed compound words printable activity which helps students strengthen their fine motor skill while working on their literacy skill. Use this compound words game for extra practice, at school or at home, summer learning, an ice cream or literacy activity or as part of an extra activity for those who finish their other work early.
Compound words exercises
At the bottom of the post you will find the pdf download file. Download this and print off all the pages. There are three compound words per page, with a total of twenty-seven different compound words such as backpack, strawberry, cupcake, dragonfly, footprint, toothbrush, snowman, hot dog, ladybug and starfish.
Compound words worksheet
To get this ready for your compound words game simply cut out each of the colored ice creams and the cones. Laminate for durability. Place all the ice cream parts in a pile and the cones in a separate pile.
When you are ready to play the Children will chose a cone from the pile and look at the picture on the cone.
- They will then go through the ice cream pile and find the two parts of the compound word.
- To extend learning, children can then practice writing the compound words down on paper.
Though this activity comes in color only, it is a great way for children to learn compound words and strengthen their fine motor skills.
Compound Words List
The following are the compound words included in this compound words actiities:
- backpack – back and pack
- bandaid – band and aid
- baseball – base and ball
- basketball – basket and ball
- butterfly – butter and fly
- cookbook cook and book
- cupcake – cup and cake
- dragonfly – dragon and fly
- footprint – foot and print
- groundhog – ground and hog
- hotdog – hot and dog
- ladybug – lady and bug
- mushroom – mush and room
- peanut – pea and nut
- pineapple – pine and apple
- rainbow – rain and bot
- sandcastle – sand and castle
- snowflake – snow and flake
- snowglobe – snow and globe
- snowman – snow and man
- starfish – star and fish
- sunglasses – sun and glasses
- superhero – super and hero
- toothbrush – tooth and brush
- toothpaste – tooth and paste
- strawberry – straw and berry
- watermelon – water and melon
Compound Word Activities
For more practice learning compound words for kids, try these fun compound word ideas for early learners!
- Learning Compound Words with Block – a fun compound words activities
- Compound Word Puzzles – print the free set in color or black and white (self-checking)
- Apple Compound Words for kids Worksheets
- Clip it Free Compound Word Cards
- 5 Free Compound Word Activities – including picture cards, worksheets, puzzles, and more!
- Compound Words Mini Pack
- Building Compound Words
- Rocket Rhyming Activity
- Winter Compound Word Activities – free printable set includes compound word worksheets and snowflake puzzles
- Free printable Compound Words for Kids printable readers
- Ice Cream Compound Words Activity
Ice Cream Printables
If you are looking for more ice cream activities to add to your ice cream theme of summer learning, check these out!
- AMAZING, Edible Play Doh Ice Cream Recipe that scoops like ice creaam!
- Ice Cream Themed, Summer Bucket List Ideas
- Work on tracing letter with these free printable Ice Cream Alphabet
- Delicious Ice Cream Alphabet Puzzles to help kids practice matching upper and lowercase letters
- Plus check out these Ice Cream Alpabet Playdough Mats
- Practice adding to to with these cute Ice Cream Make 10 Game
- Cute, Hands-on Ice Cream Number Bonds Practice
- Printable Digraph Activity scooping Ice Cream
- Ice Cream Compound Words Activity
- FUN Ice Cream Place Value Activity fo kindergarten and first graders
- Or scoop a sunday with this Place Value Activity for grade 1, grade 2, and grade 3 students
- Cut and paste sentences with this Sentence Scrambles to make your own Ice Cream Reader for pre-k, kindergarten, and first grade students
- Practice adding Ice Cream scoop endings to words with this suffixes activity
- Color Matching Ice Cream Activity
- TONS of cute Ice Cream Craft Preschool
- Simple Ice Cream Coloring Pages
- Fun and EASY How to Make your own Ice Cream in a Bag
- Try our delicious and EASY homemade vanilla ice cream
- Or whip up some ice cream this winter with this outrageously fun and super YUMMY How to Make Snow Ice Cream
- Practice Addition with this Ice Cream Math task cards using playdough!
- Cute Ice Cream I Spy Worksheet
- Make practicing math fun with these fun Ice Cream Math Worksheets
- Simple Ice Cream craft using washi tape for toddlers, preschoolers and kindergartners.
- Fun-to-Make, Printable Ice Cream Math Craft
- Count to 20 as you Build your Ice Cream Math Sundae
- Scoop up Ice Cream Counting Printable
- Ice Cream Math Game Book Based Activity for Kindergartners
- I is for Ice Cream handart project for kids
- Practice completing patterns with this FUN Ice Cream Pattern Printable
- Fun Ice Cream themed Shape Playdough Mats
Looking for more fun ways to learn this summer with popsicle themed activities? You will love these free printables:
- Summer activities for preschoolers making Popsicle Alphabet Puzzles
- Ice Cream Division Puzzles make practicing math FUN
- Popsicle Count to 10 clip cards are a fun, educational Summer Activities for Preschoolers
- Trace the Letters on the Alphabet Popsicles in this Summer Activity for Preschoolers
- Work on Number Sense with these Counting Summer Activity for Preschool Puzzles
- 2 ingredient Gummy Bear Popsicles are so COLORFUL and EASY!
Download Compound Words Snowflake Puzzles
Before you download your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All downloadable material provided on this blog is copyright protected.