These super EASY to make marshmallow shooters are a must for your summer bucket list. This summer activity for kids is not only fun, but it is actually a STEM activity for kids too! Students assemble, tweak, and design this simple marshmallow cannon to try to get the most distance they can. THis is such a simple, but fun summer activities your preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, and elementary age students in first grade, 2nd grade, 3rd grdae, 4th grade, 5th grade, and 6th grade students will want to try over summer break!
After reading the super fun and silly book The Marshmallow incident where the townsfolk end up shooting marshmallows all over the place, we decided to design our own marshmallow shooter as a fun book based activity. This fun summer activities for kids turned out to be even more fun than we realized! This simple STEM activity for kids involved us designing, making, tweaking, and adjusting our shooters to get the most distance we could for our mini marshmallow cannons. This is perfect for planning summer fun for kids of all ages from preschoolers, kindergartners, grade 1, grade 2, grade 3, grade 4, grade 5, and grade 6 students.
We also did this fun STEM project for kids as part of our Knight Unit. Seriously, this seems to simple to be as much fun as it is. But it is such a fun summer activities at home. Did I mention they shoot over 30 feet – that’s some serious FUN!
For our marshmallow shooters we used simple things we found around our house.
- disposable cp (plastic or paper will work) – any color
- mini marshmallows
- full size balloon – any color
Marshmallow shooter stem activity
Cut out the bottom of a Dixie cup. You need a medium size sturdy cup. You can use a plastic one if it has thick walls or use a large Dixie style cup.
Marshmallow shooter experiment
Cut off the tip of a balloon. It can be any color you have laying around leftover from a birthday party.
Pull the balloon over the top of the cut end of the Dixie cup. You can help secure this with a rubber band if you like. For younger kids you may want to. Goofy (7) and I didn’t need it.
Fun summer activities
Now you get to play! Just load with a mini marshmallow into the cup so it sits on the balloon at the bottom. Now put your hands on the ouside of the cup, pinch the balloon and pull it back gently.
We had competitions to see who could shoot the farthest. We had marshmallow go over 30 feet!
This is a great kids activity for summer fun or as a go along to The Marshmallow Knights, one of our favorite books!
Looking for more outdoor activities for kids and things to do in the summer? Your toddler, preschool, pre k, kindergarten, and elementary age kids will love these fun ideas to keep them busy all summer long:
- Marshmallow Shooters – go over 30 feet!
- 2 ingredient Easy Slime Recipe
- How to Make a Lava Lamp – it’s super EASY!
- Kids will no nuts over this simple Pop Rock Experiment
- Handprint Strawberry Craft for Summer
- 25+ Water Balloon Games for Kids
- Drop & Paint – Water Balloon Painting Activity
- Roll & Paint – Outrageously FUN Balloon Painting Activity for Kids
- Balloon Paint Art Project for Toddlers and Preschoolers
- Grow Your Own Crystals
- Water Balloon Experiment – exploring densit with an EPIC summer activity for kids
- Amazing Bubble Painting
- Mind Blowing Color Changing Playdough
Summer Activities for Kids
- Egg Shell DIY Chia Pet Craft – Silly Spring / Summer Activities for Kids
- Grass Head Craft for Kids
- EASY Stained Glass Pasta Art for Kids
- Chromatography Butterflies – EASY Butterfly Craft for Kids
- Silly Bandaid Art Craft for kids
- Blow GIANT bubbles with this Homemade Bubble Solution
- Outrageously FUN Bubble Painting
- Bleeding Tissue Paper Fireworks Craft
- Beautiful Flower Suncatcher Craft
- 30 Fun June Crafts for Kids
- Must try Lego Zipline
- Exploding Watermelon Science Experiment
- Homemade Chalk Recipe
- 75+ FUN Scavenger Hunts for Kids
- Find activities by month with our June Crafts for kids or our June Activities for Kids!
Fun Summer Activities for Kids
- Ice Cream Edible Playdough
- Whip up a batch of Kool Aid Playdough – it smells amazing!
- EASY, Vibrant Sidewalk Chalk Paint for Kids
- I Spy DIY Bottles are quick, easy and FUN!
- Amazing Tin Foil Art Project for Kids of all Ages
- Vinegar and Baking Soda Rocket Science Experiment for Kids
- Summer Bucket List Printable with Ice Cream Theme
- How to Make Ice Cream in a Bag
- Ice Cream Playdough Patterns
- Head to the zoo with this FREE Zoo Scavenger Hunt – lots of choices for all ages!
- Make your favorite animal with one of these 100 animal crafts
- Try one of these fun Animal I Spy Printables
- Epic Squirt Gun Painting
- 10+ Pasta Flower Crafts for Kids
- Play with your food using this goldfish counting activity
- After seeing the frogs at the pond, grab this free life cycle of a frog worksheet
- Avoid the summer learning loss by practicing math with these crack the code worksheets
- First Day of Summer Craft
- Create this gorgeous stained glass art for kids
- 107 Epic Summer Activities for Kids
Leave a Reply