This balloon painting has got to be the highlight of our summer! This summer craft for kids is the perfect blend of an art project and a summer activity for kids. It is quick and easy to get ready and loads of fun to try this water balloon painting! Plus when you finish this water balloon activity, you will have a fun keepsake of your summer fun. This balloon paint art is perfect for preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, 2nd grade, 3rd grade, and 4th graders too.
Water Balloon Painting
Get ready to WOW your kids with this balloon painting project for kids of all ages! You will want to add this balloon paint art to your summer bucket list. This outdoor summer game is such a fun, memorable activity your kids will be talking about this for years and years to come! Try this balloon splatter painting with preschoolers, kindergartners, grade 1, grade 2, grade 3, and grade 4 students. So take your water balloon fun to the next level with this paint filled water balloons idea this summertime!
All you need for this EPIC summer activity for kids are a few simple materials and a couple minutes prep:
- water balloons
- tempera paint
- water (from a hose is easiest)
- poster board (or canvas for those whose primary goal is a keepsake project)
- painters tape
Water Balloon Activity
The process is just as much fun as this balloon art project! But first, a little set-up. Lay a poster board on your driveway or lawn away from things you don’t want to get a little splatter on it.
Balloon splatter painting
Add elements to your artwork if you like by putting painters tape on the poster bord now. You could spell your child’s name, add a circle in bottom right for sunset, shapes, etc.
Name Crafts for Preschool
Make your child’s name out of painters tape BEFORE you start the balloon splatter painting
Balloon Paint Art
You will need a mixture of half tempera paint and half water that you will squeeze into a water balloon. I did this project when our tempera paint was about half gone. I just added water, put water in those bottles, replaced the lid and shook well to mix. AFter you fill a water balloon, tie off. Put the balloon in a bucket with a little water to make sure the balloons don’t pop.
Repeat with as many balloons as you like. You can use just shades of your favorite color, lots of colors in the rainbow, or whatever other color combination you like.
Water balloon painting preschool
The next part of this balloon dart painting is sooooo much fun! Children will stand on a stool or ladder and one by one they will drop the balloon on the poster board or canvas. It makes such a fun splatter paint effect!
Paint water balloons
Continue dropping the paint balloons on the poster board to create overlapping colors and patterns in thie fun balloon smash painting.
Water Balloon Art
When you finish, allow the project to dry. How beautiful is this paper created with water balloon drop painting?! You can do all similar colors for some cool dimmension or do a really colorful one with lots of colors.
Water balloon splatter painting
Carefully remove the painters tape from your project to reveal some hidden objects, name, or image.
Kids Name Craft
This makes such a fun name craft for kids! Make it on canvas for a fun, personalized wall art kids will love hanging in their room!
We created a beautiful, unique sunrise picture using yellow, orange, red, and pink paint balloons.
No matter what you create from shapes, to name craft, sunset, modern art, or just a cool color canvas – this is such a fun summer art project for kids of all ages!
Balloon Craft Ideas
Looking for more fun ways to play with balloons this summer?
- 25+ Water Balloon Games for Kids
- Drop & Paint – Water Balloon Painting Activity
- Roll & Paint – Outrageously FUN Balloon Painting Activity for Kids
- Balloon Paint Art Project for Toddlers and Preschoolers
- Learning the Notes on a Staff with a FUN Music Activity for Kids
- EASY Static Electricity Balloon Experiment
- Balloon Matching Shapes Worksheets – Kindergarten Math Activity
- Water Balloon Experiment for FUN summer science
- Educational Balloon Games
- FUN Lego Ballon Car that is simple to make
- Epic Ideas for Water Balloon Painting
- Pop Rocks Balloon Experiment
Looking for more outdoor activities for kids and things to do in the summer? Your toddler, preschool, pre k, kindergarten, and elementary age kids will love these fun ideas to keep them busy all summer long:
- Marshmallow Shooters – go over 30 feet!
- 2 ingredient Easy Slime Recipe
- Super Simple Sand Slime
- How to Make a Lava Lamp – it’s super EASY!
- Kids will no nuts over this simple Pop Rock Experiment
- Handprint Strawberry Craft for Summer
- Grow Your Own Crystals
- Water Balloon Experiment – exploring densit with an EPIC summer activity for kids
- Amazing Bubble Painting
- Mind Blowing Color Changing Playdough
Summer Activities for Kids
- Egg Shell DIY Chia Pet Craft – Silly Spring / Summer Activities for Kids
- Grass Head Craft for Kids
- EASY Stained Glass Pasta Art for Kids
- Free Beach Worksheets for Kids
- Chromatography Butterflies – EASY Butterfly Craft for Kids
- Silly Bandaid Art Craft for kids
- Blow GIANT bubbles with this Homemade Bubble Solution
- Outrageously FUN Bubble Painting
- Bleeding Tissue Paper Fireworks Craft
- Beautiful Flower Suncatcher Craft
- 30 Fun June Crafts for Kids
- Must try Lego Zipline
- Exploding Watermelon Science Experiment
- Homemade Chalk Recipe
- 75+ FUN Scavenger Hunts for Kids
- Find activities by month with our June Crafts for kids or our June Activities for Kids!
Fun Summer Activities for Kids
- Ice Cream Edible Playdough
- Whip up a batch of Kool Aid Playdough – it smells amazing!
- EASY, Vibrant Sidewalk Chalk Paint for Kids
- I Spy DIY Bottles are quick, easy and FUN!
- Amazing Tin Foil Art Project for Kids of all Ages
- Vinegar and Baking Soda Rocket Science Experiment for Kids
- Summer Bucket List Printable with Ice Cream Theme
- How to Make Ice Cream in a Bag
- Ice Cream Playdough Patterns
- Head to the zoo with this FREE Zoo Scavenger Hunt – lots of choices for all ages!
- Make your favorite animal with one of these 100 animal crafts
- Try one of these fun Animal I Spy Printables
- Epic Squirt Gun Painting
- 10+ Pasta Flower Crafts for Kids
- Play with your food using this goldfish counting activity
- After seeing the frogs at the pond, grab this free life cycle of a frog worksheet
- Avoid the summer learning loss by practicing math with these crack the code worksheets
- First Day of Summer Craft
- Create this gorgeous stained glass art for kids
- 107 Epic Summer Activities for Kids