Do your kids like sidewalk chalk? Mine love it. There are many days that they can be creative with their outdoor activity, without any prompting from me. Other Times, they want me to help them come up with ideas. Both ways are a-okay with me. I personally love drawing with sidewalk chalk with them. I like to have fun games in my mom tank, though. These sidewalk chalk games are fun, beneficial and give us an extra reason to be outside soaking up the sun. Try these outdoor chalk games with preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, 2nd grade, 3rd grade, 4th grade, 5th grade and 6th graders! These chalk sidewalk games are perfect for spring or use these chalk games outside as EPIC summer activities for kids!
Sidewalk Chalk Games
There are a ton of ideas out there, the options for sidewalk chalk games are endless. Sometimes though I need a list to remind me that it doesn’t have to be difficult to come up with ideas. Before I start my list, did you know that you can easily make your own homemade sidewalk chalk? It’s super EASY and better than store-bought! These chalk games are fun for preschoolers, kindergartners, grade 1, grade 2, grade 3, grade 4, grade 5, and grade 6 students. These sidewalk games are perfect for lazy summer days or spring activities for kids too.
When I sat down to start my list, I thought to myself – what games do we like playing on paper? Here are some of those ideas:
- Hangman – You need two players. The first player thinks of a word (or phrase) and draws a dash for each letter in the word. The other player (s) try to guess what it is one letter at a time. If the guessing player suggests a letter that is in the word, the letter is filled in the correct place. If the letter does not appear in the word (s) than a part of a person is added: circle for head, arm, leg, foot, eye, nose, smile, hair, etc.
- Tic Tac Toe – Make a 6-square grid. One player write an x. The next player writes their o. The first player goes again. The goals is to get 3-in-a-row horizontally, vertically, or across.
- Dots – Draw dots to make a grid. The bigger the grid, the longer the game will take. Players will take turn drawing a line between two dots. When a player finishes the 4th line, completing the box, they write their initial in the box and go again. When all the dots form boxes, count who has the most boxes and they WIN.
- Unscramble The Word – write letters to a word in a random order and have children unscramble the letters to find the mystery word
- Mazes – create a maze or obstacle course out of chalk. Feel free to add lakes, lava pits, or monsters to create an additional challenge.
- MASH – Silly tell-your-future activity for kids. Write M.A.S.H. with chalk – which stands for mansion, apartment, stash and house. Next choose 4 categories: who will you marry, how many kids, what job, how many kids. Finally write 3 possibilities under each catetgory. Draw a spiral and count how many lines it has. For example if your spiral has 6 lines, Start with the M at the top,moving clockwise, count each option until you reach the number 5, cross off the option you landed on and continue around the page. Skip the marked off option until you only have 1 option left in each categories.
- Twister – replicate the game board with chalk circle spaces for some outdoor fun!
- Checkers (draw the board and then use paper plates or rocks for the pieces.
Outdoor chalk games
Some other ideas that came from me going back to my childhood are:
- Hop Scotch
- Guess What I Am Drawing (Like Pictionary)
- Long Jump (Draw lines spaced apart from each other and jump as far as you can.
Chalk sidewalk games
I wanted more on my list though. Now that the weather is warming up, I know that we have a ton of sidewalk chalk time in our future.
- Frozen sidewalk chalk is fun but FIZZY Frozen Sidewalk Chalk is even more fun. It’s a fun STEAM summer afternoon activity!
- Grab bean bags and play a toss game. Create points, like a dart board or skeeball. You can keep score with chalk too! You could also draw sight words in random areas on the driveway and ask kids to toss the bean bag onto the sight word that you call out.
- Do you have a trampoline? sSidewalk chalk writes well on that too! Write letters around the edge and ask kids to jump to the letter that you call out.
- Pebble Letters: Write ABCs or sight words and give your child a pile of pebbles. They can place the pebbles on the letter or word to form it.
- Use Stencils: Grab some letter stencils and take them to the sidewalk. These work great if kids hold them down and color inside with the sidewalk chalk!
- Alphabet Grid: Create an alphabet grid. This will be just the beginning step of many ABC games!
- Counting Maze: this is a great idea for children to help them with counting, number recognition and more!
- Nature Hunt: Draw squares of different colors and ask kids to find items that match those colors. They could even bring smaller items and place it in the square where it belongs.
- Shadow Play: Trace a friend’s shadow and then dress it up by adding a face and clothes.
- Town & Roads: Draw a whole town with roads then grab the toy cards. Enough said.
- Obstacle Course: Make an obstacle course with different movements. This will help get the wiggles out while strengthening gross motor skill!
Looking for more outdoor activities for kids and things to do in the summer? Your toddler, preschool, pre k, kindergarten, and elementary age kids will love these fun ideas to keep them busy all summer long:
- Marshmallow Shooters – go over 30 feet!
- 2 ingredient Easy Slime Recipe
- How to Make a Lava Lamp – it’s super EASY!
- Kids will no nuts over this simple Pop Rock Experiment
- Handprint Strawberry Craft for Summer
- Grow Your Own Crystals
- Water Balloon Experiment – exploring densit with an EPIC summer activity for kids
- Amazing Bubble Painting
- Mind Blowing Color Changing Playdough
Summer Activities for Kids
- Egg Shell DIY Chia Pet Craft – Silly Spring / Summer Activities for Kids
- Grass Head Craft for Kids
- EASY Stained Glass Pasta Art for Kids
- Blow GIANT bubbles with this Homemade Bubble Solution
- Outrageously FUN Bubble Painting
- Bleeding Tissue Paper Fireworks Craft
- Beautiful Flower Suncatcher Craft
- 30 Fun June Crafts for Kids
- Must try Lego Zipline
- Exploding Watermelon Science Experiment
- Homemade Chalk Recipe
- 75+ FUN Scavenger Hunts for Kids
- Find activities by month with our June Crafts for kids or our June Activities for Kids!
Fun Summer Activities for Kids
- Ice Cream Edible Playdough
- Whip up a batch of Kool Aid Playdough – it smells amazing!
- I Spy DIY Bottles are quick, easy and FUN!
- Amazing Tin Foil Art Project for Kids of all Ages
- Vinegar and Baking Soda Rocket Science Experiment for Kids
- Summer Bucket List Printable with Ice Cream Theme
- How to Make Ice Cream in a Bag
- Ice Cream Playdough Patterns
- Head to the zoo with this FREE Zoo Scavenger Hunt – lots of choices for all ages!
- Make your favorite animal with one of these 100 animal crafts
- Try one of these fun Animal I Spy Printables
- Epic Squirt Gun Painting
- 10+ Pasta Flower Crafts for Kids
- Play with your food using this goldfish counting activity
- After seeing the frogs at the pond, grab this free life cycle of a frog worksheet
- Avoid the summer learning loss by practicing math with these crack the code worksheets
- First Day of Summer Craft
- Create this gorgeous stained glass art for kids
- 107 Epic Summer Activities for Kids