This week we took a closer look at the simple machine gears for kids. This gear simple machine lesson helps kids learn how do gears work and how are they used with fun, engaging simple machine projects. This lesson on what do gears do is perfect for preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, 2nd grade, and 3rd grade students.
Gears for Kids
Next up in our simple machines for kids unit is studying about gears for kids. In this science lesson for preschoolers, kindergartners, grade 1, grade 2, and grade 3 students you will learn what do gears do. We will used some fun gear books, gears project for kids, and explore with hands-on activities.
How do gears work for kids
A gear is a wheel with teeth that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion
First we used My First Clock kit. The kit was a quick to assemble project that demonstrated gears and how clocks work. Kids put this entire clock together and then get to enjoy this clock them made.
This was a REALLY cool activity.
Interactive gears activities
The kids really enjoyed the 7 hands on projects in our K’NEX Education – Intro To Simple Machines: Gears kit. These working machines really helped the kids understand various practical uses for gears.
We also learned that the bigger the difference between the different gear sizes the quicker the machine could go.
We also played with Gears! Gears! Gears!. Unlike the other gears projects we did, this one had not instructions to follow. The kids were able to create their own projects and figure out how to make it work.
At the end of our unit we were lucky enough to be able to take a little bit of a drive to the Museum of Science & Industry. The kids area had a wonderful area for kids to explore including various simple machines. The kids enjoyed the gear wall that if put together correctly, would make a hammer strike.
Simple Machines for Kids
- Inclined Planes for kids – explanation, activities, and resources
- Wheel and Axle for kids lesson with projects and other fun ideas
- Gears for Kids filled with lots of hands on activities
- Wedges and Screw Simple Machine Lesson for children
- Levers and Pulleys lesson for students
- I Spy simple machines for kids
- MATCH – Simple Machines Game
- 30 Simple Machines for Kids Projects
- Free Simple Machines Worksheet to fold into a clever booklet
- Candy Simple Machines Project
- Pulley Experiment from recycled materials
Fun Science Experiments
- 30 Simple Machines for Kids Experiments
- Launch this experiment and record your findings with this Coke and mentos experiment worksheet
- Lots of FUN Solar System Project Ideas for kids
- Printable Solar System Worksheets (free) or planet worksheets for kindergarten
- Grab these free printable solar system coloring pages
- Life-size Human Body Project with free printable body parts
- Colorful Capillary action science experiment (also known as walking water)
- 100 Amazing Food science experiments – arranged by type of science
- Free Printable Human Body for Kids Playdough Mats
- Leak proof bag fun science experiments
- Older students can dive deeper with these free skeletal system worksheet pages
- Amazing Why do leaves change color experiment
- Learn about seasons with this cool free 4 seasons printables
- Animals and their Babies matching puzzles
- Take a closer look at animals with this free printable animal report for for kids
Science Exeriments for Kids
Looking for lots more fun, science experiments for kids? You’ve GOT to try some of these outrageously fun science experiments for kids! We have so many fun, creative and easy science experiments for elementary age children:
- How to Make a Lava Lamp – super easy and SO cool!
- Weather Unit for prek-3rd graders filled with experiments, activities and weather worksheets
- Make it rain and write your observations in these cloud in a jar experiment worksheet
- Learn about our moon with these activities and moon worksheets for 1st grade
- Free Water Cycle Worksheets for kids
- Discover a world of geology with these rock worksheets for kids
- Free printable states of matter activity with clip cards
- Discover what lies below the surface with these free Layers of Earth Worksheets
- Make playdough earth layers with this super cool geology experiment for kids
- LOTS of year-round Science Experiments for Kids
- Kids will love this outrageously fun pipe clean constellations activity
- This look inside a volcano experiment for kids takes learning to a whole new level
- Chromatography Butterflies project for kids
- Learn about the kingdom Animalia with over 20 Zoo Scavenger Hunt free printables
- Harness the power of fruit with this simple Lemon Clock for kids
- Easy Bernoulli’s principle experiment at home
- Amaze kids with this simple burning candle experiment with free worksheets
Easy Science Experiments
- Gross and so cool Digestive System Project for kids of all ages
- Amazing Rainbow in a Jar Experiment for Kids
- Epic Baking Soda and Vinegar Rocket Experiment
- Cool Milk and Vinegar Expeirment making plastic!
- Learn about your amazing brain with this activity and brain worksheets
- How do hands work project for kids
- Super cool and easy-to-make, working lego balloon car
- Plants for kids lesson
- Explore magnets with these EPIC magnet experiments for kids
- Popsicle Stick Catapult for kids – simple STEM project
- Simple light bulb experiment (it actually lights up!)
- Easy-to-make balloon hoovercraft
- Bouncy Eggs and eggs in vinegar experiment worksheet
- Learn about density for kids with these simple balloon solid, liquid, gas hands-on activities
- Create your own super simple bot
- Beautiful, color changing capillary action experiment with flowers
- WOW your kids with how to make a Newton’s cradle project
- Heat-sensitive, Color Changing Slime is SO COOL!