Whether your kiddo is fascinated by the possibilities of aliens from outer space or you just want to make a super cool car-of-the-future, this balloon hovercraft is loads of fun! This cd hovercraft is simple to make in just 5-10 minutes and loads of fun to fly for hours and hours! Try this cd balloon hovercraft experiment for a fun kids activity for preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, 2nd grade, 3rd grade, 4th grade, and 5th graders too.
This is so much more than just a cool alien craft! This balloon hovercraft is an outrageously fun STEM activity for elementary age students. Children will design their own cd hovercraft with a few simple materials and then have fun comparing their designs and functionality. This cd hovercraft experiment is fun for preschoolers kindergartners, grade 1, grade 2, grade 3, grade 4, and grade 5 students. Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – this balloon hovercraft experiment is a must! Try this balloon experiment at home, in the classroom, or as part of a stem camp.
This super cool balloon car project couldn’t be any easier! All you need are a few supplies you probably have laying around the house:
- sharp scissors (use under the direction of a responsible adult)
- plastic bottle cap
- strong glue (I used my handy, dandy hot glue gun)
- CD or DVD disc
- 7 or 8 inch balloon
Cd balloon hovercraft
Start out by making a 1/2-inch hole in the center of your cap by piercing it with sharp scisorrs and rotating the blade clock wise to widen the hole.
Reminder, scissors are sharp, please do under close adult supervision.
Now glue the flat side of the cap to the center of the disc so that the holes align. Allow the glue to dry.
Cd hovercraft experiment
While your glue is drying, or after with young kids, take some time to decorate your flying spaceship with colored sharpie markers.
Once you have finished decorating your cd or dvd disc and the lid is solidly attached, it’s time to move on.
Balloon hovercraft experiment
Now it’s time for the fun! Blow up the balloon and tist the end tightly to not allow air to escape, but don’t tie it off.
Pull the lip of the balloon over the edge of the cap until it is securely in place.
Now allow the balloon to untwist. As the air escapes the hovercraft will glide along the surface without touching it.
STEM Activity for Kids
So, how does this hovercraft craft work? As the air rushes out of teh balloon through the hole, it forms a cushion below the cd that supports the entire surface of the cd because air is escaping from all sides. Since their is no friction from the rubbing of the disc and the surface, the space ship can move freely.
Looking for more outdoor activities for kids and things to do in the summer? Your toddler, preschool, pre k, kindergarten, and elementary age kids will love these fun ideas to keep them busy all summer long:
- Marshmallow Shooters – go over 30 feet!
- Lemon Volcano is a fun Summer Experiment for kids of all ages
- 2 ingredient Easy Slime Recipe
- Super Simple Sand Slime
- How to Make a Lava Lamp – it’s super EASY!
- Kids will no nuts over this simple Pop Rock Experiment
- Leak Proof Bag – Amazing Science Experiment with Everyday Materials
- Mind-Blowing Magnetic Slime for Kids
- Easy Button Crafts for Kids
- Super EASY-to-Make Balloon Hovercraft
- Handprint Strawberry Craft for Summer
- Grow Your Own Crystals
- Water Balloon Experiment – exploring densit with an EPIC summer activity for kids
- Amazing Bubble Painting
- Mind Blowing Color Changing Playdough
- Glow-in-the-Dark Fairy Jar Mason Night Lights
Summer Activities for Kids
- Egg Shell DIY Chia Pet Craft – Silly Spring / Summer Activities for Kids
- Grass Head Craft for Kids
- EASY Stained Glass Pasta Art for Kids
- Simple Flower Mason Jar Lid Crafts
- Free Beach Worksheets for Kids
- Chromatography Butterflies – EASY Butterfly Craft for Kids
- Silly Bandaid Art Craft for kids
- Blow GIANT bubbles with this Homemade Bubble Solution
- Outrageously FUN Bubble Painting
- Bleeding Tissue Paper Fireworks Craft
- Beautiful Flower Suncatcher Craft
- 30 Fun June Crafts for Kids
- Kids will be amazed at the l-o-n-g colorful bubble snakes they can make with this easy activity
- Must try Lego Zipline
- Exploding Watermelon Science Experiment
- Homemade Chalk Recipe
- 75+ FUN Scavenger Hunts for Kids
- Find activities by month with our June Crafts for kids or our June Activities for Kids!
- 20+ Printable Roadtrip Games
Fun Summer Activities for Kids
- Ice Cream Edible Playdough
- Blood for Kids – Activity to learn about the Human Body
- Whip up a batch of Kool Aid Playdough – it smells amazing!
- EASY, Vibrant Sidewalk Chalk Paint for Kids
- I Spy DIY Bottles are quick, easy and FUN!
- Amazing Tin Foil Art Project for Kids of all Ages
- Vinegar and Baking Soda Rocket Science Experiment for Kids
- EPIC Mentos and Soda Experiment
- Summer Bucket List Printable with Ice Cream Theme
- How to Make Ice Cream in a Bag
- Ice Cream Playdough Patterns
- Head to the zoo with this FREE Zoo Scavenger Hunt – lots of choices for all ages!
- Make your favorite animal with one of these 100 animal crafts
- Try one of these fun Animal I Spy Printables
- Epic Squirt Gun Painting
- 10+ Pasta Flower Crafts for Kids
- Play with your food using this goldfish counting activity
- After seeing the frogs at the pond, grab this free life cycle of a frog worksheet
- Avoid the summer learning loss by practicing math with these crack the code worksheets
- First Day of Summer Craft
- Create this gorgeous stained glass art for kids
- 107 Epic Summer Activities for Kids