If you have a fairy fan at your house you will love this super cool DIY fairy jar craft project! With just a couple simple materials you can make a mason jar night light that will actually glow in the dark. This fairy craft is perfect for preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, 2nd grade, 3rd grade, 4th grade, 5th garde, and 6th graders. Whether you make your fairy light jars as a fun summer activity for kids or as a tinkerbell craft – this is sure to be a hit in your house!
We made our fairy jar back in 2011 before it was all the rage. Back then we made it with glow in the dark paint to it would glow over and over again night after night. Since then some creative person discovered you can add glow sticks to the jar to make a much more vibrant glow. I added our project we made with this glowstick technique for you to compare. No matter which way you make your fairy light mason jar this is sure to be a favorite craft for kids from preschoolers, kindergartners, grade 1, grade 2, grade 3, grade 4, grade 5, and grade 6 students. We made ours as a summer craft for kids that we had on our summet list.
Fairy light jars
All you need are a few simple supplies to make this project:
- glass Mason canning jar
- glow in the dark paint
- Glow in the dark stick
Mason jar night light
The inspiration behind our first jars was actually fireflies! I loved catching lightening bugs in summer evenings at my Grandma’s house. I wanted them to stay in my jar with me forever. But we had to let them back where they belonged in nature. This firefly jar will glow over and over again, night after night!
Summer Crafts for Kids
Use colors you like to make little dots out of the glow-in-the-dark paint all over the outside of the jar. Allow it to dry completely. You can add your favorite Disney Fairy such as Bess, Fira, Tinker Bell, Lily, Beck, Prilla, Rani, and Vidia to the inside with some twigs, leaves, etc. My kids LOVED this part!
Summer Activities for Kids
As you can see the jars have a pretty glow and you can tell the difference between the colors you use. I think they are so pretty. They will fade throughout the night, but recharge again if sitting by a sunny window to absorb light.
Fairy light mason jar
If you want a more DRAMATIC look, you do not add a fairy (unless you don’t mind not playing with her anymore) and you will activate several thick glow sticks according to the package instructions- you know snap in the middle and shake. Now cut the top off and pour the liquid into the jar and add your lid. Close the lid of your jar and shake it up to get it to coat the inside of the jar. For ours we did both the glow in the dark paint AND the glow stick for a more multi-dimmensional look.
WARNING: The liquid is not meant for children or playing with. I don’t suggest you get it on your skin or leave it unattended with children lest they unintentially swallow the material trying to glow or something odd like kids can sometimes do. So although we tried it this way to see the EPIC glow. As a cautious parent, we stuck with our simple, a little less vivid method.
Fairy mason jar
This is such a fun summer activity for kids to clebrate lightening bugs, fairies, or just enjoy running around in the great outdoors!
Fun things to do in the summer
- Outrageous Leak Proof Bag Science Experiments, Heat Sensitivie Color Changing Slime Recipe
- Summer Science Experiments and 100 Exciting Year-Round Science Experiments , How to Make a Newton’s Cradle Science Expeirment, Edible Peanut Butter Playdough, fun-to-make DIY Foosball Table, White Baking Soda Clay
- Easy Sand Volcano with NO clean-up, Mind-Blowing Magnetic Slime, Strawberry Scented Jello Playdough Recipe
- LOTS of Fun Sidewalk Chalk Games, simple Popsicle Stick Catapult project for kids, vibrant Sidewalk Chalk Paint
- Epic Squirt Gun Painting, Van Gogh Starry Night Aluminum Foil Art Project, or watermelon slime
- 107 Epic Summer Activities for Kids, 100 animal crafts, I Spy DIY Bottles are quick, easy and FUN!
- I Spy DIY Bottles are quick and easy, our favorite Ice Cream Edible Playdough,
- Lego Squishy Circuits Electricity Science Experiments, blow GIANT bubbles with this Homemade Bubble Solution
- Puffy watermelon slime, make your own pvc marshmallow gun, grow a grass house
- Bubble Painting by blowing bubbles, shaving cream butterfly crafts, 25 fun water balloon games, pretty pasta mosaic art, color changeing capillary action experiment with flowers, fun balloon rocket experiment for preschool, bee pollination experiment with jello, how to make a weather vane, Pipe cleaner constellation activities
- How to make a fairy jar,, playdough ice cream math activities for preschoolers, ten frame marshmallow template, alphabet watermelon printable activity, easy Rubber Band Powered Car, paint stick Solar System Project for Kids
- Lots of FUN 4th of july activities, delphinium flower craft, name craft camping crafts for preschoolers, lemonade summer playdough recipe, colorful capillary action experiment, and life size human body project
- Or hang out inside with this fun indoor scavenger hunt printable activity
Summer Printable Activities
- Pool trace numbers 1-20, Sun Summer Tracing Worksheets, Mazes Sight Words Worksheets pdf, Free Summer Worksheets for Kindergarten, Cute Summer Worksheets for Preschoolers, free summer lego challenge cards pdf, free numer coloring pages,
- Counting watermelon activity sheets, or skip counting puzzles, surfboard opposites games printable
- Simple Beach Coloring Pages, free printable summer activity sheets, Seashell Alphabet Matching, pool Summer Worksheets for Preschool, smore free camping math worksheets, Smore complete sentence games, squish painting sun craft, potato stamped bumble bee craft, sandcastle number tracing practice, free summer bookmarks printable
- Water Gun Parts of Speach Game, playdough watermelon seed counting activity, Summertime Dot Art Printables, free printable Beach Worksheets, cute flip flop Letter Matching, free bubble math worksheets, hands-on strawberry rhyming Activity, alphabt printable picture puzzles, free ladybug life cycle worksheet
- Summer Tracing Worksheets for preschoolers, garden Kindergarten sight Word Activities, pail and shovel Matching Letter Game, free summer playdough mats, summer addition puzzles, free summer scavenger hunt, build a sundae place value game, free i spy beach printable, mosquito worksheets, summer color by number
- Firefly preschool counting worksheets, free camping worksheets preschool, I Spy Pirate Game, Crab summer math worksheets, free ice cream math worksheets, free printable summer tracing worksheets, or summer word searches,
Love crafting with the kiddos