Get ready for an epic summer of discovery and learning with these fun summer science activities for kids of all ages. These summer science experiments are perfect for preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, 2nd grade, 3rd grade, 4th grade, 5th grade, and 6th graders too. Plus most of these summer science experiments for kids are quick and easy with a great WOW moment!
Summer Science Experiments
The warmer weather makes it the perfect time to try some hands-on, summer science experiments with your kids. There are so many fun summer science
activities you can try. Cool off with some water science, or learn all about the power of the sun, or try a simple garden science activity. There are lots of amazing hands-on summer science ideas to explore all kinds of scientific concepts.
Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler you will love this list of super fun summer science experiments for kids. Use them at home, in the classroom or as a supplement to your homeschool science curriculum. These summer science experiments for preschoolers, kindergartners, grade 1, grade 2, grade 3, grade 4, grade 5, and grade 6 students use common materials with an epic outcome. The hardest thing will be deciding which summer science activity to do first! Keep your kids actively learning over summer with these epic summer science activities.
Summer Science Experiments for Kids
- Baking Soda Powered Boats Science Expeirment from 123 Homeschool 4 Me.
No need to row your boat when you make a baking soda powered boat with this epic summer science experiment.
- Homemade Flubber from Live Craft Eat.
Everyone will love making and playing with this cool chemistry experiment!
- Disappearing colors Experiment from Gift of Curiosity.
This may look like magic but it is actually a really cool science experiment!
- Pop Rocks Volcano Experiment from Growing a Jeweled Rose.
This is a super fun twist on the traditional erupting volcano experiment.
- Pop Rock Experiment for Kids from 123 Homeschool 4 Me.
Here is another super fun pop rock science experiment to try.
- Polymer Science: Homemade Fruit Gummies from Left Brain Craft Brain.
Make some sweet treats with science!
- Make a Lemon Battery from Kids Activities Blog.
If you’ve lots got lemons, after you’ve made some lemonade, try this lemony science experiment!
- Grow Salt Crystals Overnight from Babble Dabble Do.
This a simple and quick way to grow gorgeous crystals.
- How to Make a Lava Lamp from 123 Homeschool 4 Me.
Kids of all ages will love this groovy science experiment.
- Design and Build a Sprinkler from From Engineer to Stay At Home Mom.
Budding engineers and scientists will love building this science project to cool off on a hot day.
- Bee Shooter Craft from Red Ted Art.
Learn all about aerodynamics with this fun craft.
- Balloon powered sponge boat from The Craft Train.
Make a DIY toy boat with a STEAM twist.
- Fizzy Strawbery Lemonade Science Experiment from 123 Homeschool 4 Me.
Use science to make this delicious summery treat.
- Exploding Watermelon Volcano from Little Bins for Little Hands.
Did you know you can turn a watermelon into a volcano!?!?
- Make a Lightning Bug Paper Circuit Card from Left Brain Craft Brain.
This is a fabulously fun way to learn about circuits and electricity.
- Static Electricity Butterfly Experiment from I Heart Crafty Things.
Make the butterfly flap it’s wings with a little bit of electricity!
- Beach Density Jar from Lemon Lime Adventures.
Kids will love learning about density in this super fun summery experiment.
- What Melts in the Sun? Science Experiment from Frugal Fun for Boys and Girls.
This simple experiment is a great way to learn about the power of the sun.
Summer Science Activities for Preschoolers
- Watercolors and Oil Science from Babble Dabble Do.
Combining watercolors and oil is a fun way to explore science and art at the same time!
- Homemade Bubble Solution for GIANT Bubbles from 123 Homeschool 4 Me.
Head outside and try making some of these giant bubbles this summer!
- Regrowing Celery from Housing a Forest.
Even if you don’t have a garden you can try this simple plant science experiment.
- Squirt Gun Volcanos from No Time for Flash Cards.
Break of the squirt guns for this super fun summer science activity.
- Chromatography Butterflies from 123 Homeschool 4 Me.
Explore the science of chromatography while making this gorgeous butterfly craft.
- Frozen Sea Star Science from Modern Preschool.
This summer science activity is sure to be a hit with all of the preschoolers and kindergarteners you know.
- Frozen Fairy tale Science from Fun a Day.
This fizzing and foaming chemical reaction will be a hit with your preschooler.
- Frozen Eruptions Rainbow Activities for Preschoolers from 123 Homeschool 4 Me.
Make beautiful rainbows with a simple chemical reaction!
- Ocean Oobleck for Shark Week from Glitter on a Dime.
Everyone will love dipping their hands in this non-Newtonian fluid!
- How do Boats Float for Kids from 123 Homeschool 4 Kids.
Combine science learning with water play on a hot day and learn all about why boats float.
- Magic Glitter Science Experiment from ABCs of Literacy.
This ‘magical’ science experiment is a simple activity that is perfect for young scientists.
- Human Sundial Shadow Science Experiments from Rhythms of Play.
Head outside on a sunny day to try this simple sun science experiment.
- Capillary Action Experiment for Kids from 123 Homeschool 4 Me.
Try this fun ‘walking water’ science experiment with your kids.
- Ocean-Themed Skittles Candy Science Experiment from Homeschool Preschool.
The kids will love watching as the colorful rainbows emerge.
- ‘Exploding’ Treasure Chests from Fun a Day.
Have some pirate themed science fun with this cool activity.
- Rainbow Ice Tower Excavation from Fun at Home with Kids.
Have fun with this simple hands on melting science activity.
- 4th of July Fizzy Stars from Natural Beach Living.
Add this fun science activity to your Fourth of July learning theme.
Summer Science Activities
- Learn how to Grow a Summer Garden with this simple Gardening with Kids from 123 Homeschool for Me.
Find lots of tips for gardening with kids, plus a list of easy plants to grow.
- Jellyfish in a Bottle Science Project from STEAMsational.
This simple science project would be great for an ocean or summer themed learning unit.
- Life Cycle of a Butterfly Worksheets from 123 Homeschool 4 Me.
This free printable pack is perfect for a butterfly hatching summer science project.
- DIY Solar Oven from The Craft Train.
Make a simple solar oven to learn about sustainability, solar power and harnessing energy.
- Water Balloon Experiment from 123 Homeschool 4 Me.
This summer science experiment is a great way to help kids explore the concept of density.
- Sunscreen Painting from Team Cartwright.
Try this experiment to learn about how sunscreen works and how important it is.
- Vinegar and Baking Soda Rocket Science Experiment from 123 Homeschool 4 Kids.
This is the perfect family science activity to try on a sunny day.
- Making Sun Prints from In the Playroom.
Learn about light and how photography works and how we can replicate it with the sun.
- Chromatography Flowers Science Project from 123 Homeschool 4 Me.
Try this gorgeous STEAM activity for all ages.
- Ocean Slime Recipe from STEAMsational.
Learn all about polymers while making this ocean themed slime.
- How To Make Sand Slime from Little Bins for Little Hands.
Here’s another great summer themed slime to make with your kids.
- Layers of the Sea Science Project from Edventures with Kids.
Learn about oceans zones and layers of the sea with this hands-on animal habitat science project!
- Tin Foil Boat Ideas for the STEM Penny Challenge from JDaniel4’s Mom.
This is a great summer science project idea for kids of all ages.
- Find out how many rubber bands to explode a watermelon from 123 Homeschool 4 Me.
This epic exploding watermelon activity is a fun, edible science experiment that is perfect for summer.
- How to Make Ice Cream in a Bag from Buggy and Buddy.
Try this delicious ice cream experiment and use the free printable to record your results.
- Magical Water Blossoms from Babble Dabble Do.
Make some paper flowers and watch them bloom like magic!
With over 50 super cool summer science experiments and activities on this list, there is a summer science idea to keep your kids busy all summer long!
Looking for more outdoor activities for kids and things to do in the summer? Your toddler, preschool, pre k, kindergarten, and elementary age kids will love these fun ideas to keep them busy all summer long:
- Marshmallow Shooters – go over 30 feet!
- 2 ingredient Easy Slime Recipe
- How to Make a Lava Lamp – it’s super EASY!
- Kids will no nuts over this simple Pop Rock Experiment
- Handprint Strawberry Craft for Summer
- Grow Your Own Crystals
- Water Balloon Experiment – exploring densit with an EPIC summer activity for kids
- Amazing Bubble Painting
- Mind Blowing Color Changing Playdough
Summer Activities for Kids
- Egg Shell DIY Chia Pet Craft – Silly Spring / Summer Activities for Kids
- Grass Head Craft for Kids
- Blow GIANT bubbles with this Homemade Bubble Solution
- Outrageously FUN Bubble Painting
- Bleeding Tissue Paper Fireworks Craft
- Beautiful Flower Suncatcher Craft
- 30 Fun June Crafts for Kids
- Must try Lego Zipline
- Exploding Watermelon Science Experiment
- Homemade Chalk Recipe
- 75+ FUN Scavenger Hunts for Kids
- Find activities by month with our June Crafts for kids or our June Activities for Kids!
Fun Summer Activities for Kids
- Ice Cream Edible Playdough
- Whip up a batch of Kool Aid Playdough – it smells amazing!
- I Spy DIY Bottles are quick, easy and FUN!
- Amazing Tin Foil Art Project for Kids of all Ages
- Vinegar and Baking Soda Rocket Science Experiment for Kids
- Summer Bucket List Printable with Ice Cream Theme
- How to Make Ice Cream in a Bag
- Ice Cream Playdough Patterns
- Head to the zoo with this FREE Zoo Scavenger Hunt – lots of choices for all ages!
- Make your favorite animal with one of these 100 animal crafts
- Try one of these fun Animal I Spy Printables
- Epic Squirt Gun Painting
- Play with your food using this goldfish counting activity
- After seeing the frogs at the pond, grab this free life cycle of a frog worksheet
- Avoid the summer learning loss by practicing math with these crack the code worksheets
- First Day of Summer Craft
- Create this gorgeous stained glass art for kids
- 107 Epic Summer Activities for Kids
Science activities and experiments like these are perfect for kids to learn new thing. It can spark their enthusiasm towards various science fields. Thanks for sharing these ideas and explaining them so well!