After you’ve learned about density for kids including what mass and volume are and why they are needed to find an objects density you are ready to explore this weeks lesson on why do boats float. This how do boats float for kids is a fun science lesson for kindergarten, first grade, 2nd grade, 3rd grade, and 4th grade students. Plus learn How do Submarines Work too.
How do boats float for kids
Help kids learn about boats and submarines as they discover how do boats float for kids. Tis why do bloats float in water is a fun lesson for kindergartners, grade 1, grade 2, grade 3, and grade 4 students. Use this how do boats float as a stand-alone lesson or supplement to a larger physical science lesson.
Why do boats float in water grade 4
Start off by taking a blob of clay and dropping it into a bin of water. What happens? It sinks – it has a high density.
Now take another lump of clay that is the same weight and make a boat from it. What happens when you put it on the water? It floats because the boats shape makes it have less density.
NOTE: I suggest letting the clay boat dry first.
How do boats float
Buoyancy boat project
Why do boats float
For this what makes a boat float experiment you will need an ice cube tray. Each compartment is a bulkhead on a ship – which means a compartment of air. Now when the Titanic hit an iceburg water started entering the front 2 bulkheads. This is such a simple and fun titanic science project.
Have kids place the ice cube tray in water and fill the front 2 compartments. What happened?
How do Submarines Work
- 20 oz soda bottle
- waterproof tape
- 8 quarters
- flexible straw
- modeling clay
- long plastic tube
Now to submerge your submarine blow hard into the plastic tube. Your submarine will rise to the surface as the air is pushing the water out of the bottle. Now your submarine is less dense than the water so it will float on the surface.
Learn more about the Titanic for kids with this fun pritnable to read, color, and learn!
Fun Science Experiments
Here are some of our most popular lessons and activities or see all our science for kids conveniently sorted!
- 30 Simple Machines for Kids Experiments
- Launch this experiment and record your findings with this Coke and mentos experiment worksheet
- Lots of FUN Solar System Project Ideas for kids
- Printable Solar System Worksheets (free) or planet worksheets for kindergarten
- Grab these free printable solar system coloring pages
- Simple pop rocks experiment for kids (with free worksheet)
- Stunning chromatography butterflies
- Life-size Human Body Project with free printable body parts
- Colorful Capillary action science experiment (also known as walking water)
- 100 Amazing Food science experiments – arranged by type of science
- Free Printable Human Body for Kids Playdough Mats
- Leak proof bag fun science experiments
- Older students can dive deeper with these free skeletal system worksheet pages
- Amazing Why do leaves change color experiment
- Learn about seasons with this cool free 4 seasons printables
- Animals and their Babies matching puzzles
- Take a closer look at animals with this free printable animal report for for kids
Science Exeriments for Kids
Looking for lots more fun, science experiments for kids? You’ve GOT to try some of these outrageously fun science experiments for kids! We have so many fun, creative and easy science experiments for elementary age children:
- How to Make a Lava Lamp – super easy and SO cool!
- Weather Unit for prek-3rd graders filled with experiments, activities and weather worksheets
- Make it rain and write your observations in these cloud in a jar experiment worksheet
- Learn about our moon with these activities and moon worksheets for 1st grade
- Free Water Cycle Worksheets for kids
- Discover a world of geology with these rock worksheets for kids
- Free printable states of matter activity with clip cards
- Discover what lies below the surface with these free Layers of Earth Worksheets
- Make playdough earth layers with this super cool geology experiment for kids
- LOTS of year-round Science Experiments for Kids
- Kids will love this outrageously fun pipe clean constellations activity
- This look inside a volcano experiment for kids takes learning to a whole new level
- Chromatography Butterflies project for kids
- Learn about the kingdom Animalia with over 20 Zoo Scavenger Hunt free printables
- Harness the power of fruit with this simple Lemon Clock for kids
- Learn about famous female inventors with this read, color, and learn booklet for kids
- Easy Bernoulli’s principle experiment at home
- Amaze kids with this simple burning candle experiment with free worksheets
Easy Science Experiments
- Gross and so cool Digestive System Project for kids of all ages
- Amazing Rainbow in a Jar Experiment for Kids
- Epic Baking Soda and Vinegar Rocket Experiment
- Cool Milk and Vinegar Expeirment making plastic!
- Learn about your amazing brain with this activity and brain worksheets
- How do hands work project for kids
- Super cool and easy-to-make, working lego balloon car
- Plants for kids lesson
- Bouncy Naked Egg with FREE egg in vinegar experiment worksheet
- Explore magnets with these EPIC magnet experiments for kids
- Popsicle Stick Catapult for kids – simple STEM project
- Simple light bulb experiment (it actually lights up!)
- Easy-to-make balloon hoovercraft
- Bouncy Eggs and eggs in vinegar experiment worksheet
- Learn about density for kids with these simple balloon solid, liquid, gas hands-on activities
- Create your own super simple bot
- Beautiful, color changing capillary action experiment with flowers
- WOW your kids with how to make a Newton’s cradle project
- Heat-sensitive, Color Changing Slime is SO COOL!