This counting farm animals activity uses a free farm animals printable that will help toddler, preschool, and pre-k children learn to counting to 5. This farm animals counting is a simple way for young children to learn numbers to 5 while making their own farm counting book. Simply print farm printables and you are ready to count, cut and paste while learning numbers 1 to 5 with a farm activity for preschoolers.
Counting Farm Animals
Old MacDonald had a farm E-I-E-I-O, and on that farm he had one horse, two pigs, three cows, four sheep, and five chickens. There is something exciting about the farm. The open land, the sounds of animals, dirt to play in, and so much more make it an exciting place for exploring and learning. Today, we can’t visit the farm, but we can read and count the animals that are there! This farm animals counting activity uses a farm animals printable to help toddlers and preschoolers practice a variety of early learning skills. This counting farm animals activity incorporates cut and paste activity, number recognition for preschoolers, counting 1 to 5, number words activity, and more with a farm activity for preschool.
Farm Animals Printables
Farm Animals Counting
I love learning activities that are simple to prepare. And this is one of those.
- First, print off the pages of the book.
- Next, cut them out and then staple together.
- Finally, gather up scissors and glue. If your child struggles with cutting, you could go ahead and cut out the numbers that will be glued on to the pages.
Previewing a book with little ones is essential to helping them succeed. Before reading with your student, here are a few things you may want to review!
Farm Activity for Preschoolers
The first step is to make sure your child is familiar with the sight words used in the book. This book focuses on two sight words….I and see.
Before having your child read the book, review those words with them. You could simply write them on a whiteboard and practice “reading” them. Or write each word on two sticky notes. Then play a matching game. Every time your kiddo turns over a word, have them say it.
Most children know the names of farm animals, but it can never hurt to go on a picture walk. All you need to do is open up the book, and point to each animal. Let your child say the name of the animal, and if they don’t know the name or say it wrong….now is a great time to help them with the pronunciation of learning the correct name.
This would also be a great time to practice one-to-one correspondence and practice figuring out how many animals there are.
Number Words Activity
Last but not least you may want to introduce the numbers words. You can read the first page to your child and point at each word as you read!
” I see …..this word tells me how many chickens I see….how many chickens are there?”
“Yes, there are five chickens, so when I get to this word I will say five. I see five chickens.”
Now it is time to jump in and let you kiddo read! Hopefully will all the prep, they should be successful at working through the words. If not, gently correct and model reading the sentence correctly pointing to each word!
Number Recognition for Preschoolers
“Look there is one horse. This is the number one. The picture shows me one horse. Where is the word that says one?”
Looking for more FREE farm printables to help kids learn a variety of skills? You will love these resources:
- Sequencing Cards – farm to table jam, milk, bread, chocolate, eggs, and orange juice (matching sequencing worksheets)
- Farm Kindergarten Sight Words Games
- Printable Farm CVC Words Activity
- Money Farm Worksheets
- Tractor Worksheets for practicing making alphabet letters
- Farm cutting practice worksheets
- Fun-to-Read Farm Books for Preschool
- Lots of CLEVER Farm Activities for Kids
- Farm Alphabet Mats
- Counting Farm Animals Readers
- Super cute free printable Farm Worksheets for Kindergarten
- C is for Cow letter of the week unit with crafts, activities, and printables for kids
- Farm Writing Prompts or these On the Farm Writing Prompts
- Printable Puzzle Farm animals and their babies
- Farm Free printable books for beginning readers
- Life on the Farm Hidden pictures printable worksheets
- Farm Building Sentences Cut and Paste Reader
- Seasons worksheet about life on the farm
- Super cute Farm Coloring Pages
- Farm ABC Order Worksheets
- Free Farm Color by Number Worksheets for workign on number recognition
- Do-a-Dot NUMBERS Farm Worksheets
- Kindergarten Farm Unit – over 220+ pages for Preschool, Kindergarten, & 1st Grade
- Educational Farm Activities
- CUTE Preschool Farm Activities Free Worksheets to work on a variety of skills
- Huge set of Free Farm Worksheets for Kindergarten
- Farm Animals and their Homes Flip Book
- Counting farm animals worksheet pages for numbers 1-10
- Printable Farm Scavenger Hunt for Kids
- HUGE Farm Animals Worksheet Pack with lots of math and literacy for early learners
- Farm themed free printable cutting activities for preschoolers
- Number Sense Puzzles – Farm Activities for Preschoolers
- Farm Animal Tracing Worksheets
- FREE Farm Animal Puppet Printables
- Farm Writing Numbers in Words Worksheets
- Simple Sentences for Kindergarten Worksheet – Farm theme
- I Spy Farm Animals Printables
- LOTs of ideas in this Farm Theme Preschool
Counting to 5
Before you grab your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All material provided on this blog is copyright protected.