Looking for a fun and hands-on farm activity? Check out this sorting colors activity with a fun farm theme. Use these On the Farm Color Sorting Mats to keep your toddler, preschool, pre-k and kindergarten students engaged and learning at the same time. Simply print farm printables for this coloru sorting activities.
Color Sorting Mats
These color sorting mats are so easy to prep but provide learners with so many different learning skills. Toddlers, preschoolers, and kindergartners will firstly practice identifying and recognizing their colors. They will also be able to work on their sorting and puzzle solving skills as they place the cards on the correct mats. The On the Farm Color Sorint Mats can be used as a thematic addition to a farm unit or can be used as an independent activity. Learners will have fun looking at the things that can be found on the farm and sorting them based on color. Parents, teachers, and homeschoolers will love this combination color activity for preschoolers and farm activities.
Color Sorting Mat
Colour sorting activities
The color activity itself is pretty straightforward but does require a bit of prep work.
- Velcro dots
- Scissors / Paper cutter
First, print out the color sorting mats and the sorting cards onto cardstock and laminate for durability. Next cut apart, the sorting mats to get a total of 11 sorting mats. Cut apart the sorting cards to get a total of 66 color cards, there are 6 cards for each color.
Next, you can present the printable as is. If you wish, you can also stick one part of the velcro dot onto the back of the sorting card and the other part onto the sorting mat. This way the sorting cards do not shift on the mat, and they can be stored together. I personally store my sorting mats with the sorting cards together and keep everything together with a ring binder.
To play, students will simply pick up one the sorting cards and then place it on the sorting mat of the matching color. The activity is relatively straightforward. This activity aims to both develop a child’s puzzle solving skills as well as sorting and identifying colours. Your preschoolers and kindergarteners are sure to have a blast with this color sorting activity.
Colour sorting activity
If your learners are just getting used to identifying their colors, introduce only one or two mats at a time to prevent overwhelming the learners. Do not present all the mats at once.
Once the learners get more familiar with their colors and are able to recognize their colors with ease, more mats can be introduced. The learner will finally be able to tackle all the 11 mats at once. We had so much fun with this activity and I hope your learner will too.
For other farm themed puzzles, check out these farm and animal baby puzzles here.
Color Activities for Preschoolers
- Free Printable Color Worksheets
- How to Grow Rainbow Crystals EASILY at Home – Spring Science Activity
- Beautiful Rainbow Slime Activity for Kids
- 27 Colorful Activities for Kids
- Super Cute Crayon Colors Craft
- Fruit Loop Color Activity for Preschool
- Printable color flashcards for toddlers
- Preschool Color Book Printable
- 40 Colour Recognition Activities
- Rainbow Sorting Games for Preschoolers
- Learning Color Words
- Fall Emergent Reader
- Learning Colors Printable
- Free Color Sorting Mat
- Learning Color Words Puzzles
- Octopus Learning Colors Printable
- Fruit Loop Color Activitity for Kindergarten
- Valentines Day Color Activity for Preschool
- Colors Book Printable
- Christmas Color Activity for Preschool
- Christmas Color Activities for Kindergarten
- Painting Worksheets
- Seashell Playdough Color Activity for Preschoolers
- Easter Color Words for Kids Printable Reader
- Free Printable Color Flashcards
- Fruit Loop Rainbow Printable
- Good night Gorilla Color Activity for Preschool
- Turkey Color Activity for Preschool
- Fruit Loop Sorting Ma
- Mouse Paint Color Worksheets
- See all of our color activities for kids
Looking for more FREE farm printables to help kids learn a variety of skills? You will love these resources:
- Sequencing Cards – farm to table jam, milk, bread, chocolate, eggs, and orange juice (matching sequencing worksheets)
- Farm Kindergarten Sight Words Games
- Printable Farm CVC Words Activity
- Money Farm Worksheets
- Tractor Worksheets for practicing making alphabet letters
- Farm cutting practice worksheets
- Fun-to-Read Farm Books for Preschool
- Lots of CLEVER Farm Activities for Kids
- Farm Alphabet Mats
- Counting Farm Animals Readers
- Super cute free printable Farm Worksheets for Kindergarten
- C is for Cow letter of the week unit with crafts, activities, and printables for kids
- Farm Writing Prompts or these On the Farm Writing Prompts
- Printable Puzzle Farm animals and their babies
- Farm Free printable books for beginning readers
- Life on the Farm Hidden pictures printable worksheets
- Farm Building Sentences Cut and Paste Reader
- Seasons worksheet about life on the farm
- Super cute Farm Coloring Pages
- Farm ABC Order Worksheets
- Free Farm Color by Number Worksheets for workign on number recognition
- Do-a-Dot NUMBERS Farm Worksheets
- Kindergarten Farm Unit – over 220+ pages for Preschool, Kindergarten, & 1st Grade
- Educational Farm Activities
- CUTE Preschool Farm Activities Free Worksheets to work on a variety of skills
- Huge set of Free Farm Worksheets for Kindergarten
- Farm Animals and their Homes Flip Book
- Counting farm animals worksheet pages for numbers 1-10
- Printable Farm Scavenger Hunt for Kids
- HUGE Farm Animals Worksheet Pack with lots of math and literacy for early learners
- Farm themed free printable cutting activities for preschoolers
- Number Sense Puzzles – Farm Activities for Preschoolers
- Farm Animal Tracing Worksheets
- FREE Farm Animal Puppet Printables
- Farm Writing Numbers in Words Worksheets
- Simple Sentences for Kindergarten Worksheet – Farm theme
- I Spy Farm Animals Printables
- LOTs of ideas in this Farm Theme Preschool
Before you grab your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All material provided on this blog is copyright protected.