We decided to try making our own edible sand sensory play with my toddler, preschool, pre-k, and kindergarten age child. This homemade sand was so simple to make with just 2 ingredients. Plus this edible sand was so cheap, molded just like beach sand, and looks so pretty! I just had to share this rainbow activity for toddlers with you!
Just mix about 2 cups pure cane sugar (found next to regular sugar in the baking isle) and 10 drops liquid food coloring in a Ziploc bag.
Edible sand sensory play
Now shake up the bag to mix the colors.
HINT: Allow to dry completely once to ensure there is no chance of food coloring bleeding on your child’s hands.
Edible Play Sand
The cane sugar makes a fantastic texture for play. The small grains look like sand and the colors come out super vibrant.
I love that this sand recipe uses things found in the kitchen, used in normal food preparation. Everything is edible, so if your toddler (or preschooler) decides to taste it, it’s okay.
Rainbow Activity for Toddlers
My daughter LOVED the beautiful colors.
Spring Activity for Preschoolers
Homemade Sand holds it’s shape like regular sand!
Make Play Sand
Because of the slight moisture content from the liquid food coloring the homemade sand will hold it’s shape to build into sand castles! You can always add a teaspoon more of water if your sand isn’t “sticking” together.
Rainbow activity for preschoolers
It is such a fun sensory activity for kids!!
Homemade Sand also makes a great medium for practicing making and tracing letters and numbers for preschoolers.
Spring Activity for Toddlers
Even after your child plays with the homemade sand and mixes the colors, it is still beautiful. Check out the individual grains of sugar – still beautiful!
NOTE: This is not intended for your child just to sit there and consumer. The beauty of it being edible is that if your young child decides to taste it, you won’t have to worry about what chemicals they are ingesting.
Don’t throw out the sugar after you are done! Make your kids buttered toast sprinkled with this beautiful sugar. Yum!
Rainbow Activities for Kids
Looking for more fun rainbow activity ideas? Check these out!
- How to Grow Rainbow Crystals EASILY at Home – Spring Science Activity
- Beautiful Rainbow Slime Activity for Kids
- Rainbow Summer Activities for Preschoolers
- Yarn Wrapped Rainbow Craft for Kids
- Paper Plate Rainbow Craft for Preschoolers
- Rainbow in a Jar Density Experiments
- Simply Rainbow Density Experiment for springtime
- Delicious Rainbow Stem scienc with jelly beans
- Rainbow Handprint Craft
- Easy Tissue Paper Rainbow Craft for Spring
- Rainbow Toast makes a yummy snack!
- Super cute Rainbow Math with a DIY abacus activity
- Rainbow Painting with Cars Activity
- Free printable Rainbow Color Matching Game
- Craft Stick Rainbow Craft
- Rainbow Rhyming Activity for Kindergarten
- Rainbow Worksheets for kids
- Free Connect the Dot Rainbow Printable for Preschoolers
- Hands-on Rainbow Math Activities for Preschoolers
- Rainbow Playdough Shape Mat
- Lots of fun ideas in this Rainbow Preschool Theme
Looking for more outdoor activities for kids and things to do in the summer? Your toddler, preschool, pre k, kindergarten, and elementary age kids will love these fun ideas to keep them busy all summer long:
- Marshmallow Shooters – go over 30 feet!
- Our favorite 2 ingredient slime is great for any time of the year!
- How to Make a Lava Lamp – it’s super EASY!
- Kids will no nuts over this simple Pop Rock Experiment
- Handprint Strawberry Craft for Summer
- Grow Your Own Crystals
- Water Balloon Experiment – exploring densit with an EPIC summer activity for kids
- Amazing Bubble Painting
- Mind Blowing Color Changing Playdough
Summer Activities for Kids
- Egg Shell DIY Chia Pet Craft – Silly Spring / Summer Activities for Kids
- Grass Head Craft for Kids
- Blow GIANT bubbles with this Homemade Bubble Solution
- Outrageously FUN Bubble Painting
- Bleeding Tissue Paper Fireworks Craft
- Beautiful Flower Suncatcher Craft
- 30 Fun June Crafts for Kids
- Must try Lego Zipline
- Exploding Watermelon Science Experiment
- Homemade Chalk Recipe
- 75+ FUN Scavenger Hunts for Kids
- Find activities by month with our June Crafts for kids or our June Activities for Kids!