Our C is for Cow unit was filled with lots of hands on farm fun for toddler, preschool, and kindergarten kids. Come grab some fun free printables like nocturnal farm animals, crafts, hands on learning activities, and more.
Children of all ages are fascinated with life on the farm! The farm is filled with big powerful tractors, fields and fields of growing crops that look like a fun maze to explore, adorable baby animals that serve a purpose, and usually a charming farm house complete with a silo and tire swing. I think all of us long for the idea of simpler times and being closer to our food source – although no one seems to miss the manure smell =)
C is for Cow
This week in our letter of the week unit we are talking about life on the farm for kids. This is a great addition to a farm theme, alphabet introduction, or a variety of other uses for parents, teachers, and homeschoolers alike. The ideas and activities in our unit our geared towards toddler, preschool, pre k, kindergarten, first grade, and 2nd grade students.
We went to a working historic farm & took a couple of educational classes. We learned about cows & got a chance to milk a cow by hand! We also got to observe how much faster a machine is able to milk a cow! We’ve also been to a commercial dairy farm and witnessed the cow “merry go round” as cows get on and off the hundred cow milking machine.
We got to visit other farm animals like the sheep who had recently been sheered, young pigs, and large sturdy farm horses. Plus a restored farm house from the 1930s.
One of our favorite classes was learning about chicken. (This prompted us to hatch and raise our own backyard chickens). In the class we learned about chickens, their habitats, and got to collect farm fresh eggs to take home and eat. For lack of a better work the fresh eggs tasted more “eggy”.
Farm Math Activity
Farm Worksheets for Kids
My kids LOVE worksheets. And I am always impressed by how much better Minnie (3) does each and every week. So bring on the worksheet fun as long as my kids are enjoying them! For this week I used these wonderful FREE farm theme worksheets and these farm animals theme worksheets. The printable pack includes: tracing, which is different, building words with scrabble tiles, where things come from simple puzzles, pattern cards, mazes, number puzzles, shadow match-up, cut & paste, and so much more. They are HUGE packs for toddlers, preschoolers, prek, kindergartners, and grade 1.
Farm Sensory Box
Homemade Butter Activity
We also tried some practical science that would have been used on the farm over and over again for years – we made our own butter. You can learn more about homemade butter science experiment, but basically we took 1 pint heavy whipping cream and put it in a container that sealed. Now shake 20 minutes (or use mixer to speed things up), pour off the liquid at top, and tada you have made about 1 cup of homemade, creamy butter – YUM!!)
Farm Crafts for Kids
Farm Animal Hand Art
c is for cow craft
Farm Silo from Oatmeal Container
Spanish Farm Vocabulary
Looking for more fun and free educational printables to add to your farm unit for c is for cow? Try these:
- Cut & Paste Farm Sentence Worksheets
- Farm Beginner Reader is a fun printable for kids to color and read
- These adorable Seed letter find worksheets are sure to be a hit
- On the Farm Writing Prompts for Kindergartners
- Practice sight words with this Farm Sight Words Game
- Practice counting on the farm with these adorable Farm Do a Dot Printables
- Make sure you grab these kid favorite Farm Color by Number Worksheets
- Seeds Addition Game is a fun, clever, and reusable math game perfect for your farm theme!
- Count & Color Farm Animals and trace numbers 1-10 with these cute pages
- Pumpkin Sight Word Game is cute for the spring, summer, or fall!
- Adorable Planting Carrots CVC Words Activity
- Learn the name of produce as you trace Lowercase Letters
- Fruit and Vegetable Reader is fun to make, read, and learn!
- Farm Alphabet Mats
- Cut & Paste Sentences to make a Farm Sight Word Reader
- Count to 10 Vegetable Clip Cards work on number words and number form
- Farm Coloring Pages
- Practice using scissors with this cute Farm Cutting Pack (plow the field, make a peek-a-boo barn, and more)
- These handy Farm Scissor Practice is an easy, straight forward way to help kids practice cutting
- Farm Hidden Pictures activity pages are always a hit with kids and great for working on visual discrimination
- Kids always look forward to these fun I Spy on the Farm activity pages
- Are you my Mother Puzzles (learning baby animal names)
- Teach kids about the 4 seasons with this Farm Seasons Flip Book
- My kids love putting these Farm Sequencing Cards in order to see how products go from field to table. Each card has beautiful clipart and descriptions
Plus don’t miss these Farm Books for Preschoolers.