Our C is for Cow week let us dive into a farm theme while learning the letter c. We did fun farm crafts, lots of hands-on farm science, literacy, games with farm printables, and fun farm animals activities for kindergarten. This farm theme is fun for toddler, preschool, pre-k, and kindergarten age students. This is a great way to learn about life on the farm for kids while sneaking in some farm math, science, crafts, and literacy!
Farm animals activities for kindergarten
Children of all ages are fascinated with life on the farm! The farm is filled with big powerful tractors, fields and fields of growing crops that look like a fun maze to explore, adorable baby animals that serve a purpose, and usually a charming farm house complete with a silo and tire swing. I think all of us long for the idea of simpler times and being closer to our food source – although no one seems to miss the manure smell =) For out kindergarten farm week we included lots of farm animals activities for kindergarten to learn about a variety of farm life and farm animals while sneaking in math and liteacy too! Use this farm unit kindergarten is filled with fun ideas for preschoolers and kindergartners.
C is for Cow
This week in our letter of the week unit we are talking about life on the farm for kids. This is a great addition to a farm theme, alphabet introduction, or a variety of other uses for parents, teachers, and homeschoolers alike. The ideas and activities in our unit our geared towards toddler, preschool, pre k, kindergarten, first grade, and 2nd grade students.
We went to a working historic farm & took a couple of educational classes. We learned about cows & got a chance to milk a cow by hand! We also got to observe how much faster a machine is able to milk a cow! We’ve also been to a commercial dairy farm and witnessed the cow “merry go round” as cows get on and off the hundred cow milking machine.
We got to visit other farm animals like the sheep who had recently been sheered, young pigs, and large sturdy farm horses. Plus a restored farm house from the 1930s.
One of our favorite classes was learning about chicken. (This prompted us to hatch and raise our own backyard chickens). In the class we learned about chickens, their habitats, and got to collect farm fresh eggs to take home and eat. For lack of a better work the fresh eggs tasted more “eggy”.
Farm Animal Counting
Farm Worksheets for Kids
My kids LOVE worksheets. And I am always impressed by how much better Minnie (3) does each and every week. So bring on the worksheet fun as long as my kids are enjoying them! For this week I used these wonderful FREE farm theme worksheets and these farm animals theme worksheets. The printable pack includes: tracing, which is different, building words with scrabble tiles, where things come from simple puzzles, pattern cards, mazes, number puzzles, shadow match-up, cut & paste, and so much more. They are HUGE packs for toddlers, preschoolers, prek, kindergartners, and grade 1.
Farm Sensory Box
Homemade Butter Activity
We also tried some practical science that would have been used on the farm over and over again for years – we made our own butter. You can learn more about homemade butter science experiment, but basically we took 1 pint heavy whipping cream and put it in a container that sealed. Now shake 20 minutes (or use mixer to speed things up), pour off the liquid at top, and tada you have made about 1 cup of homemade, creamy butter – YUM!!)
Farm Animal Hand Art
c is for cow craft
Farm Silo from Oatmeal Container
Spanish Farm Vocabulary
Looking for more FREE farm printables to help kids learn a variety of skills? You will love these resources:
- Farm Subtracting Money Games
- Farm I Spy Printables
- Farm Theme
- Farm Kindergarten Sight Words Games
- Are You My Mother? Farm animals and their babies printables
- Farm Free printable books for beginning readers
- Farm Hidden pictures printable
- Seasons on the Farm – teaching seasons to kindergarten
- Farm cutting practice worksheets
- Farm Coloring Pages
- Free Farm Color by Number
- Farm do a dot printables numbers
- Farm Unit – over 220+ pages for Preschool, Kindergarten, & 1st Grade
- Preschool Farm Activities Free
- Farm Animals and their Homes Flip Book
- free printable farm animals worksheets
- Farm Sequencing Activity
- Printable Farm Cutting Practice Strips
- Farm Books for Preschoolers
- Fun Farm Activities
- Super cute free printable Farm Worksheets
- C is for Cow
Download Farm Printables
By downloading from my site you agree to the following:
- You may print as many copies as you ‘d like to use in your classroom, home, or public library.
- Please share by linking to this page. This product may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, 4sShared, Mediafire, email, etc.)
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!