Learning colors is one thing, but learning to read color words is a huge big step up for young learners. This Color Word Puzzle pack is a fun way for preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, and first grade students to learn color names. Each of the free color puzzles include a picture in the featured colour word and a letter. Simply download pdf file with color words printable and you are ready to work on learning color words.
Color word puzzle
Toddlers and preschoolers work on recognizing colors in their world and learning which colors are which. Kindergartners and grade 1 students work on learn color words and how to spell them. But spelling color words can be super challenging! These super cute color word puzzles are a fun way for children to practice building words letter by letter with a free color activity for kindergartners! Plus, this activity for learning color words is a self checking colour word puzzles which makes them a fun, educational activity perfect for teachers to use in a classroom center, homeschoolers and parents to use for summer learning or supplementing their child’s learning at home. Instead of using color word worksheets, learn color names with an engaging activity!
Color Words Printable
Learning color words
If you choose the blackline version, I suggest starting by having students color the pages to get familiar with the words while strengthening fine motor skills at the same time. You can colour them with crayons, markers, colored pencils, or your favorite art supply.
- 3 letter words: bay, jet, tan and red. (bay horse, jet sheep, tan kangaroo, and red crab)
- 4 letter words: blue, gray/grey, gold and pink (blue jeans, gray elephant, gold money coins, pink flower)
- 5 letter words: black, brown, green and white. (brown buffalo, green frog, black tire, white gull)
- 6 letter words: orange, purple, silver and yellow (orange fish, yellow bus, silver coin, purple eggplant)
Bay and jet are less common colors that were included to round out a page of three letter words.
- BAY: A bay horse has a coat that might be brown to brownish-red with a black mane and tail.
- JET: Is generally interpreted as jet black – that is, as black as possible.
Free color puzzles
Please note that in the color puzzles printable, both GRAY and GREY spelling versions are included. The GREY versions are at the end of the document so double check which pages you want before printing. WE have colour word puzzle for American English and British English too.
The pictures make these color puzzle printable fairly easy to put together so much of a child’s focus can be directed towards the sounds. Encourage children to say the sounds as they put the puzzles together, with a finger pointing at each letter, when complete.
Color Activities for Preschoolers
- Free Printable Color Worksheets
- 27 Colorful Activities for Kids
- Super Cute Crayon Colors Craft
- Fruit Loop Color Activity for Preschool
- Printable color flashcards for toddlers
- Preschool Color Book Printable
- 40 Colour Recognition Activities
- Rainbow Sorting Games for Preschoolers
- Learning Color Words
- Fall Emergent Reader
- Learning Colors Printable
Colors worksheet for kids
- Free Color Sorting Mat
- Learning Color Words Puzzles
- Octopus Learning Colors Printable
- Fruit Loop Color Activitity for Kindergarten
- Valentines Day Color Activity for Preschool
- Colors Book Printable
- Christmas Color Activity for Preschool
- Christmas Color Activities for Kindergarten
- Painting Worksheets
- Seashell Playdough Color Activity for Preschoolers
- Easter Color Words for Kids Printable Reader
- Free Printable Color Flashcards
- Fruit Loop Rainbow Printable
- Good night Gorilla Color Activity for Preschool
- Turkey Color Activity for Preschool
- Fruit Loop Sorting Ma
- Mouse Paint Color Worksheets
- Rainbow Pom Pom Sorting Activity
Color word puzzles
Before you download your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All downloadable material provided on this blog is copyright protected.