Learning colors is one thing, but learning to read color words is a huge big step up for young learners. These Color Word Puzzles are fun for preschoolers, but the extra word challenge makes them appropriate for Kindergarten and First Grade children!
Color Activities for kids
- 37 Color Activities for Kids
- Color Wall Cards and Flashcards
- My Color Book
- Matching Colors when you only have a minute
- 40 Color Recognition Activities
- Rainbow Pom Pom Sorting Activity
- Learning Color Words for Toddler / Preschool
- FREE Fall Color Words Emergent Readers
Color Word Puzzles
What Colors are Included?
- 3 letter words: bay, jet, tan and red.
- 4 letter words: blue, gray/grey, gold and pink.
- 5 letter words: black, brown, green and white.
- 6 letter words: orange, purple, silver and yellow
Bay and jet are less common colors that were included to round out a page of three letter words.
- BAY: A bay horse has a coat that might be brown to brownish-red with a black mane and tail.
- JET: Is generally interpreted as jet black – that is, as black as possible.
How to Prepare
Print off the puzzles you want to use onto card and cut them into strips. If using the black and white versions color them first before cutting.
Please note that both GRAY and GREY spelling versions are included. The GREY versions are at the end of the document so double check which pages you want before printing.
Using these Color Word Puzzles
The pictures make these puzzles fairly easy to put together so much of a child’s focus can be directed towards the sounds. Encourage children to say the sounds as they put the puzzles together, with a finger pointing at each letter, when complete.
Download Color Word Puzzles
Before you download your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All downloadable material provided on this blog is copyright protected.