Learning colors is one thing, but learning to read color words is a huge big step up for young learners. These Color Word Puzzles are fun for preschoolers, but the extra word challenge makes them appropriate for Kindergarten and First Grade children!
Toddlers and preschoolers work on recognizing colors in their world and learning which colors are which. Kindergartners and grade 1 students work on learn color words and how to spell them.
But spelling color words can be super challenging! These super cute, free printable color word puzzle are a fun way for kids to practice building words letter by letter. Plus, they are self checking which makes them a fun, educational activity perfect for teachers to use in a classroom center, homeschoolers and parents to use for summer learning or supplementing their child’s learning at home.
Color Word Puzzles
Free Color Puzzles
If you choose the blackline version, I suggest starting by having students color the pages to get familiar with the words while strengthening fine motor skills at the same time. You can colour them with crayons, markers, colored pencils, or your favorite art supply.
- 3 letter words: bay, jet, tan and red. (bay horse, jet sheep, tan kangaroo, and red crab)
- 4 letter words: blue, gray/grey, gold and pink (blue jeans, gray elephant, gold money coins, pink flower)
- 5 letter words: black, brown, green and white. (brown buffalo, green frog, black tire, white gull)
- 6 letter words: orange, purple, silver and yellow (orange fish, yellow bus, silver coin, purple eggplant)
Bay and jet are less common colors that were included to round out a page of three letter words.
- BAY: A bay horse has a coat that might be brown to brownish-red with a black mane and tail.
- JET: Is generally interpreted as jet black – that is, as black as possible.
Color Word Puzzles
Please note that in the printable color puzzles, both GRAY and GREY spelling versions are included. The GREY versions are at the end of the document so double check which pages you want before printing.
The pictures make these puzzles fairly easy to put together so much of a child’s focus can be directed towards the sounds. Encourage children to say the sounds as they put the puzzles together, with a finger pointing at each letter, when complete.
Color Activities for kids
- 37 Color Activities for Kids
- Color Wall Cards and Flashcards
- My Color Book
- 40 Color Recognition Activities
- Rainbow Pom Pom Sorting Activity
- Learning Color Words for Toddler / Preschool
- FREE Fall Color Words Emergent Readers
- Learning Colors with Goodnight Gorilla
- Chameleon Colors Themed Worksheets
- Mouse Paint Themed Worksheets
- Learning Colors Worksheets
- Super cute Printable Colors Craft
Color Puzzles Printable
Before you download your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All downloadable material provided on this blog is copyright protected.