Today we are bringing color into your world with a fun sorting game for preschoolers! This pompom activity is a simple, but fun activity to work on color recognition, fine motor skills, hands-eye coordination, mathematical skills, language and more! Use this color matching activity with toddler, preschool, pre-k, and kindergarten age children.
Sorting game for preschoolers
This sorting game for preschoolers is such a fun way for kids to practice distinguishing colors while strengthening fine motor skills. All you need are pompoms and colored cups or construction paper and tweezers and you are read for a fun, hands-on color sorting activity for toddlers, preschoolers, and kindergartners.
All you need is:
- Rainbow colored pompoms (different sizes but equal amounts of all colors)
- Rainbow colored containers (I love these silicon cupcake liners for dual purpose)
- Tongs or tweezers
- Dice/die with color options
How to play:
A child can play individually, rolling the dice and adding the correct pompoms to the correct container. Or, two or more can play. Each child chooses their colors, then they take turns to roll the dice. If it lands on a color pompom the player has, it can be added to the correct container. If not, better luck next time! First one with no pompoms left, is the winner!
Using tongs or tweezers are great for fine motor skills (Tip: Usually, the younger the child, the bigger the tong or tweezers must be.) as well as hand eye coordination. It strengthens the small muscles in the fingers needed for writing.
The sorting of colors develops color recognition and you should talk about the color names to develop language and vocabulary as well during this game.
Extend this game by counting the pompoms, making pairs and doing simple sums like:
- “How many green ones are left after you have added one more?”
- “How many red ones do we have now in the container after adding the last two?”
- “How many pompoms do you have altogether?”
This is also mathematical vocabulary children get used to hearing in a fun way and then they will be more keen to learn as well.
A fun and bright rainbow pompom sorting game your preschoolers or kindy’s will enjoy!
Color Activities for Preschoolers
- Free Printable Color Worksheets
- 27 Colorful Activities for Kids
- Super Cute Crayon Colors Craft
- Fruit Loop Color Activity for Preschool
- Printable color flashcards for toddlers
- Preschool Color Book Printable
- 40 Colour Recognition Activities
- Rainbow Sorting Games for Preschoolers
- Learning Color Words
- Fall Emergent Reader
- Learning Colors Printable
- Free Color Sorting Mat
- Learning Color Words Puzzles
- Octopus Learning Colors Printable
- Fruit Loop Color Activitity for Kindergarten
- Valentines Day Color Activity for Preschool
- Colors Book Printable
- Christmas Color Activity for Preschool
- Christmas Color Activities for Kindergarten
- Painting Worksheets
- Seashell Playdough Color Activity for Preschoolers
- Easter Color Words for Kids Printable Reader
- Free Printable Color Flashcards
- Fruit Loop Rainbow Printable
- Good night Gorilla Color Activity for Preschool
- Turkey Color Activity for Preschool
- Fruit Loop Sorting Ma
- Mouse Paint Color Worksheets
See all of our color activities for kids