Kids are going to go nuts about this easy, colorful polymer chemistry science experiment.
What is a Polymer?
The word polymer means a long chain of molecules. In this experiment many molecules were combined into one – the super absorbent polymer sodium polyacrylate Insta-Snow.
Examples of natural polymers include silk, rubber, cellulose, wool, amber, keratin, collagen, starch, DNA, and shellac.
Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – you will love this simple, easy science experiment for kids that helps children understand what a polymer is. Plus it is super pretty with a great WOW factor that will impress toddlers, preschoolers, pre k, kindergartners, first grade, 2nd grade, and 3rd graders alike!
Start off your science experiment by putting 1/2 cup warm water in each of 8 clear cups. Now add drops of food coloring to make colored water: yellow, orange, red, pink, light green, green, blue, purple.
Polymer Science Experiment
Add two scoops Insta-Snow to each cup of colored water. (this is super cheap to buy!)
In a matter of seconds you will see this happen. It will grow and grow and grow as the water is absorbed it will make the polymer “grow”
If you leave your water white – it will turn into beautiful instant snow. If you put it in the fridge for a while it will even feel like snow!
Polymer Science Experiments
How beautiful is this polymer experiments chemistry for preschool, prek, kindergarten, grade 1, grade 2, and grade students? It is so quick and easy you have no excuse but to add science for kids to your school day!
But wait, KEEP READING! There is a really cool extension activities you should try. This is such a fun, easy science experiment for kids.
Polymer Experiments for Kids
Have kids add more water and see the instant snow fluff up more and more! They will be me amazed at how much bigger the snow gets.
Plus kids will have a blast touching and playing with the fluffy texture!
Polymer Experiments at Home
Next, try adding several teaspoons of salt to your colorful polymer cups and watch as almost instantly it turns back into a liquid with the sodium polyacrylate just floating around. This is such a fun chemistry science experiment for kids of all ages.
Looking for more fun, engaging science experiments your kids will love? Try
- How to make a lava lamp (it’s super easy!)
- Walking Water Science Experiment
- Make a life size human body project or use human body playdough mats
- Try this epic water balloon science experiment to learn about density
- Play a game to learn about he planets in our solar system for kids
- Print off these free Zoo Scavenger Hunts to help kids of all ages learn about animal classifications, practice biology terms, learn about habitats, endangered animals, and more! 2-12 years
Learning Color Names
- Learn color names with this cute craft with our Free Printable Crayon Box Template
- Color Worksheets for young learners
- Free Printable Color Word Puzzles (in color or black and white)
- Learning Colors Printables – color the crayon and trace the color name
- Free The Colors of Fall Printable book
- Pumpkin Color Words Printable
- Fall Color Name Sticker Activity Sheets
- Color Matching Turkey Do a Dot Printable
- Learning Colors Fall Games for Kids
- Free Preschool Turkey Coloring Pages
Color Sorting Printables
- Kite Matching Printable – Learning Colors for Toddlers Games
- FREE Printable Color Puzzles
- Color Soring Printable or these Farm Free Color Sorting Printable Mats
- Pompom & Craft Stick “Pencil” color matching activities for preschoolers
- Learning Colors Pom Pom Sorting Activity
- Dinosaur Color Matching Activity with free printable
- Spring Soring Activity -free printable colored eggs into baskets
- Color Matching Easter Activities for Kindergarten
- Umbrella Craft Preschool – Color matching Fruit Loops
- I know my colors Easter Worksheets pdf
- Do-a-Dot Color Word Recognition Worksheets
Learning Colors Activity
- Fidget Color Game for Kids
- Free printable color matching worksheets
- Color Scavenger Hunt printable
- Sandcastle color matching activity
- Mitten Matching Games Online
- Color Sorting Penguin Matching Game
- My Color Book Printable
- Free Mouse Paint Printables for kids to learn their colors
- Color Free Printable Mini Books pdf for Kids
- Color Matching, Free Printable Goodnight Gorilla Activities
- Fruit Loop Sorting Mat
- Super cute Color Flashcards
- Free Printable Color Flashcards
- Chameleon Learning Colors Worksheets
- Craft Template Octopus Worksheets for Kindergarten
- Free Octopus Printables – color matching activity
- Pearl Free Color Matching Printables
- Summer Seashell Summer Playdough Mats
- Free Printable Color Matching Worksheet
- Fruit Loop rainbow printable template
- Free printable puzzles – color activities for preschool printable
- Learning Colors preschool painting worksheets
- Color Lock and Key Matching Game
- Christmas Color Games for Toddlers
- Pirate Colors Book Printable
- Learning Colors Ice Cream activity
- 40 Colour Recognition Activities
Color Activities for Kids
- Beautiful Rainbow Slime Activity for Kids
- Frozen rainbow science experiment preschool
- Yarn Wrapped Rainbow Craft for Kids
- Paper Plate Rainbow Craft for Preschoolers
- Rainbow in a Jar Density Experiments
- Easy Tissue Paper Rainbow Craft for Spring
- Free Connect the Dot Rainbow Printable for Preschoolers
- Hands-on Rainbow Math Activities for Preschoolers
- Rainbow Playdough Shape Mat
- Lots of fun ideas in this Rainbow Preschool Theme
- See all of our color activities for kids
Rainbow Activities for Kids
- Simple, Beautiful Capillary Action Experiment
- Rainbow Painting with Cars Activity
- Homemade, Edible sand for toddlers
- How to Grow Rainbow Crystals EASILY – rainbow activities for 1st grade
- Colorful Jelly Bean Science Experiment
- Simply Rainbow Density Experiment for springtime
- Rainbow Toast makes a yummy snack!
- Colorful Polymer Experiments at Home
- Pretty Oil and Water Experiment Worksheet