This clever, spring themed Plant a Number Line Math Game is sure to grab your child’s attention. This interactive number line practices counting to 10, skip counting, even/odd numbers and more.
Interactive Number Line
Children learn to count through playing this Plant a Number Line Math Game. From a young age you will hear them count, but does not mean they understand their counting. Practicing counting with an interactive number line activity like this one, helps to make counting concrete and thus more understandable.
For this number line activity you need:
- A long cardboard roll
- Popsicle(craft) sticks, green
- Cupcake liners or circle cardboard or craft foam flowers
- Craft knife or sharp scissors
Number Line Activity
How to make
- Write the numbers onto the “flowers”
- Glue the “flowers” onto the sticks
- Make holes in the cardboard roll for the sticks to fit(I made the holes 5cm apart)
- Write the numbers under the holes
Number Line to 10
Add (“plant”) the flowers to the correct holes in this number line to 10. This works on number recognition and visual discrimination skills and fine motor too. Count the flowers, starting at number one, by pointing to each flower. Now your child’s brain will make the connection between the verbal and written letter names thus giving them the bigger picture than just rote counting.
Let your older kids practice to count backwards using the number line!
Older kids can do skip counting too, or only plant uneven numbers/even numbers etc.
Number Line for Kindergarten
Use a bee or butterfly picture/toy and fly onto a flower (say Nr.2). Now the bee flies to one more flower (2+1=?). Then ask your child to count how many flowers the bee must fly past to get to Nr. 5, for example. (2 + ? = 5) These are just simple, number line for kindergarten math exercises you can do with this number line setup. I bet your child will love it!
Counting Activities for Kids
- Barnyard Counting Clip Card (Counting 1-10)
- Pumpkin Math Kindergarten Addition Practice
- Bugs Counting to 30 Activities
- Fingerprint Activity Sheet
- Bowling Counting Cards
- Catch 20 Bug Counting Game
- Firefly Printable Math Game
- Free Hungry Caterpillar Flashcards
- Number Mats (use with playdough, lego, stickers, etc.)
- Free Printable Number Puzzles
- Number Train Printable Math Activity for counting 1-20
- Plant a Number Line to 10
- Safari Count to 30 Game
- Spring Math Activities for Preschoolers
- Sunflower Seed Counting
- Counting to 100 games
- Skip Counting Chart
- Pizza Counting Game
- FUN Goldfish Printable Counting Cards
- Counting Farm Animals Worksheet 1-10
- Count to 10 Bingo Dauber Printables
- Counting Snowman Printables
- Monster Counting with Google eyes
- Lego Numbers – Printable Duplo Mats to count and trace