If you are looking for a fun idea for teaching number sense, you will love these super cute free zoo printables that are a hands-on Number Sense Activitiy. Use thesenumber sense worksheets with preschool, pre-k, and kindergarten age student as they learn how number word, tally marks, sum of numbers, and numberals can all represent the same number.
Number Sense Activity
Do your kids love going to the zoo as much as mine? Let’s be real, I still like going to the zoo. It is amazing to see all the different animals play, eat, sleep, lounge and take care of their babies. Baby animals are the best! Zoo animals makes a great theme for any activity for my daughter, she loves the animals so much it is motivation for her to do the activity. This Zoo Animal Number Sense Mat has been a huge hit!
We have lots of handy ways to help kids understand number sense with number 1-10, but sometimes preschoolers and kindergarnters have trouble with number sense to 20. This super cute, reusable number sense printable allows students to work on this important math skill while having fun with a zoo theme. You can use this number sense worksheet with any number you choose and children will including writing the numeral, numbers on a number line, number words, and how two numbers add up to make a new sum. Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler you will love these free number sense printables for helping children improve number sense. Use these as extra practice, math center in your classroom, summer learning, or supplement to you homeschool math curriculum.
Number sense worksheets
Number Sense in Kindergarten
Number sense is an important skill for children to learn. Number sense helps children learn all parts of a number. It includes the numeral symbol for the number but extends beyond that with tally marks, dice, equations, a number line, ten frame, number word, etc.
This Zoo Animal Number Sense Mat covers almost all of those aspects. We’ve included a space to explore not only the numeral symbol, but number line, number word and two blank spaces to fill in with what your child needs the most practice on. You can use any example from above. The animals that we included on this mat are: Lion, Elephant, Monkey, Zebra and Tiger.
This activity is best used by laminating the mat. If you don’t have access to a laminator, you can get dry erase pockets. These work just as well as laminating. You can also use a sheet protector. These can be written on using dry erase markers and then it can be used over and over again. This is the most cost effective way.
Grab your dry erase markers and let’s get started.
Number Sense Activities Kindergarten
One thing I love about this mat is that it can be used for children who only know 1-5 but it can also be used for children who are learning higher numbers like 21-100. There really is no end to the way this free math printable can be used!
Ideas For Empty Circles:
- Skip counting from that number
- Tally marks
- Addition Equations
- Subtraction Equations
If your child loves the zoo, you are in luck! This printable activity is so much fun and can be used for learning a variety of number sense skills.
Number Sense Activities for Kids
Looking for more ways to help kids understand number sense? Try these free resources
- 100 Number Sense Games and Activities
- Find some time in your day to practice number sense with this Number Sense Roll and Cover dice game.
- Need to work on how to use a number line for counting or solving math problems? Here is a huge list of 20+ number line activities and ideas to try!
- Dice are great for use in counting and number sense, so give some of these educational dice games a whirl.
- Small hands can mold and create visual representations of numbers with these playdough number mats.
- April Showers Number Sense Activities
- It’s important to be able to understand the numbers 11-20, and this bug counting game is perfect to reinforce that skill.
- Try this fun pumpkin number sense activities for a fall themed math project
- Number Sense Printable Puzzles 1-20
- Spring Number sense worksheet
- This cute owl math craft is a fun, printable number craft for kindergarten
- Super cute lego number mats are great for building number sense
- Grab these handy, free printable number puzzles for kindergarten to work on number sense for numbers 1-20
- Super cute pumpkin pie number sense activities
- Got a child who loves building with Legos or Duplos? Then these Lego numbers printables will make their day!
- FUN Sandcastle themed counting and tracing numbers 1-10
- Practice counting and tracing numbers with these back to school themed Preschool Number Worksheets 1-10
- Work on recognizing numbers 1-10 with this fun and free dinosaur color by number worksheet pack
- Farm themed do a dot printables numbers for practicing counting and writing numbers
- Are you My Mother? Matching Mom & Baby Farm Animals
- Animal Homes Clip Cards
- Farm Animals and their Homes Flip Book
- Nocturnal Animal Game for Kids
- Zoo Animal Reports
- Free Zoo Animals Worksheet – several leverls to choose from toddler, prek, elementary and middle school
- Jello Animal Cell Project
- Animal Habitats Activity with Animal Cookies
- Silly Animals and their Habitats Activity
- Animal Habitats Worksheets to complete with circle stickers
- Biomes Coloring Pages
- Animal Cookie Matching Activity
- Jello Animal Cells Project
- Silly Puzzles Animal Habitat Activity
- Nocturnal Animals Printables
- Endangered Animals Worksheets
- Forest Animals Themed Worksheets
- Arctic Animals Themed Worksheets
- Desert Animals Themed Worksheets
- Pond Worksheets for Kids
- Turkey Life Cycle Worksheets
- Life Cycle of Salmon Worksheets
- Life Cycle of an Ant
- Free Bat Life Cycle Worksheets
- Ladybug Life Cycle Worksheets
- Hatching Butterflies with Free Butterfly Printable worksheet and observation journal
- Life Cycles for Kids – a growing collection with over 20 different animals to explore from penguins to sunflowers, salmon, butterfly, and more!
- Animal Habitat Game
Animal Printables for Kids
We have lots of fun, hands on activities to teach kids about animals! Whether you are completing a zoology lesson , supplementing your homeschool science lesson, or just learning about your child’s favorite animals, we’ve got some fantastic resources filled with cute clipart and engaging activities:
- Free Animal Classifications for Kids Cootie Catchers
- Zoo Scavenger Hunt (includes simple picture clues for Pre k and more complex animal classification, biomes, endangered threat, etc for older elementary age students
- Animal Classification Worksheets to cut & paste
- Free Hibernation Printables
- Shark for Kids Printble Reader
- Endangered Animals Worksheet
- Ocean Animals for Kids – over 240 pages organized into 7 lessons to study aquatic animals using easy-to-understand text, hands-on science experiments, fun worksheets, and more with K-8th grade students.
- Animal Habitat Worksheets – Do a Dot Printable
- Jungle Writing Prompts Worksheets for kids
Animals for Kids
Sneak in some additional learning activities featuring these amazing animals with these clever resources:
- Zoo Animals Color by Number
- Count to 10 Zoo Animals Reader
- Animal Homes for Kids Clip Cards
- I Spy Animals Worskheet
- Jungle Animal Coloring Pages
- Biomes Coloring Pages
- Preschool Animals Theme
- Animal Activities for Preschoolers with Animal Cookies
- Beginning Sounds Animal Cards
- Uppercase Tracing Letters with Animals A-Z
- Printable Animal Masks
- Animal I Spy
- Count and Cover Zoo Animals with Cheerios
- 100 Amazing Zoo Animal Crafts
Science for Kids
Looking for lots more fun, science experiments for kids? You’ve GOT to try some of these outrageously fun science experiments for kids! We have so many fun, creative and easy science experiments for elementary age children:
- 100 Amazing Food science experiments for kids – arranged by type of science
- Colorful Capillary action science experiment (also known as walking water)
- Amaze kids with these 12 Hands on Science experiments with batteries
- 24 Epic Solar system science projects to try this week
- Fun Water balloon science experiment that explores density
- 50 Fun Preschool science experiments the whole family will want to try
- Simple Galaxy science project
- Easy and Fun Dancing Raisins Experiment
- Learn about weather as you find how to make a weather vane
- Eye opening Eye science experiments
- Easy-to- make Air pressure science project
- Amazing POP rocks science experiment is one of our all-time favorite science experiments we like to do during the summer are
- Stunning Chromatography Flowers are so pretty you’ll forget it was as science project!
- How to Make a Lava Lamp – super easy and SO cool!
- 30 Simple machines science projects kids will want to try
- Easy, fascinating, and colorful project answering Why do Leaves Change Color Experiment
Zoo Number Sense
By using resources from my site you agree to the following:
- This is for personal use only (teachers please see my TPT store)
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from Scrappin Doodles License #94836
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!