Counting has never been so much fun as with this hands-on pom pom counting activity! Teaching your toddler, preschool, and pre-k child Counting 1-10 is an important first step for learning math. In this fun counting activity for preschoolers, students will work on one to one correspondence, color matching, and more while learning numbers 1 – 10 with these free printable Counting to 10 Pom Pom Cards. Simply print pdf file with colour matching activities and you are ready to play and learn!
Pom Pom counting activity
I’m so excited to share these Free Printable Pom Pom Counting Cards! We have been having a blast with several different counting cards and it is so fun to change up the different themes depending on what we are working on at the moment. In this pom pom counting activity, toddlers, preschoolers and rising kindergartners will work on 1:1 correspondence, matching colors, and counting to 10. Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – this hands-on toddler math activity is sure to help set a solid foundation for furture math. Use it at home for summer learning or extra practice, math center in the classroom, or supplement to your homeschool math curriculum.
Counting activity for preschoolers
All you need for this fun, hands-on preschool counting activity is our free pom pom counting cards and Pom Poms. Pompoms are a common craft supply that many people have on hand, if you don’t have pom poms, you can substitute 10 of any object.
One to one correspondence
Have your child cover the circles on the counting cards with the correct number of pom poms. We used “spiky” pom poms for more sensory input as we were working. If you have a child that would be bothered by that, just stick with the traditional soft pom poms.
Printable numbers 1-10
These cards are perfect to new learners who are not ready for independent counting. The kids simply cover each circle on the card as they are counting. That way they know when to stop for each number.
When children first start counting they need to learn one-to-one correspondence. That means for every number that we count, it actually represents one object. This can be a different thing to understand, so providing something for them to match up helps them know they are finished with the task on the card.
For very beginning learners, I recommend only using numbers 1-3 and reviewing until they are solid with those numbers. Then move onto 5, 8, and finally 10.
- For an additional challenge, you can have your child match the colors of the circles to the pom poms or you can just focus on counting.
- For language development, repeating “put the [red] pom pom on the circle”. This will help kids to understand that they are all pom poms, but each color has its own name.
Counting Activities 0-10
If you are looking for some more fun, engaging, hands-on, and free printable counting activities for toddlers, preschoolers, and kindergartners – check out these great resources!
- 5 Little Monkeys Printable counting activity 1-5
- Counting Farm Animals – numbers 1 to 5
- Counting Umbrella Craft Preschool
- Barnyard Counting Clip Card (Counting 1-10)
- Caterpillar Numbers 1-10 Printable book to count, color, and trace
- Super cute, Free Playdough Number Mats
- Fingerprint Activity Worksheet
- Vegetables Counting From 1 to 10 clip cards (plus number words recognition too)
- Zoo Animals Counting Worksheet
- Firefly Free Printable Counting Worksheets or this Firefly Printable Math Game
- Counting Apple Playdough Mats with ten frame (or this free printable apple counting book)
- Bowling Counting Activities for Preschoolers
- Camping math activities for preschoolers
- SUPER cute Spider math activities for preschoolers with Playdough Mats
- Butterfly Ten Frame math activities for preschool or these butterfly math worksheets
- The Very Hungry Caterpillar Flashcards
- Donut Printables Counting Playdough Mats (number names)
- Free Printable Numbers 1-10 for Preschoolers (use with playdough, lego, stickers, etc.)
- Plant a Number Line to 10 or practice counting with these bug worksheets preschool
- Fall Worksheets to work on counting with toddler, preschool, pre-k, and kindergarten
- Counting Wheels 0-10 – Counting Activity Preschool
- Sunflower Sunflower seed counting activity (counting to 10)
- Ice Cream Counting Printable Scooping Numbers 1-10
- Lemonade Stand ten frame math worksheets with playdough or this ladybug counting activity
- Turkey Candy Corn Counting Worksheets (numbers 1-10)
- Pizza Counting Game or this Monster Teeth Playdough Mats
- FUN Goldfish Printable Counting Cards (1-12 Counting Goldfish Activity)
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich Counting Games for Preschoolers
Counting Activities 1-20
- Flower Tracing Numbers 1-10 pdf
- Lego Numbers Printables – brick duplo mats to count and trace
- Counting Animals Worksheet 1-10
- Count to 10 Free Dauber Printables
- Watermelon Printable Counting Activity
- Counting Snowman Printables
- Printable Teen Number Games
- Counting Bugs 1-10 Coloring Book for preschoolers
- 1:1 Correspondence Pom Pom Counting Activity
- Bird One to One Correspondence Activity with free printable and jelly beans
- Counting Spaghetti and Meatballs Game
- Penguin Counting Worksheet
- Flower counting activity for preschool with circle stickers
- Free Watermelon Seed Counting Activity (Numbers 1-15)
- Counting practice with Strawberry activities for toddlers
- Monster Counting googly eyes printable (0-20)
- Cute Dump Truck Counting Mat (1-20)
- Flip-Flip Counting to 20 printable activity with stickers
- Corn-on-the-Cob Count to 20 Activity
- Pool Numbers Counting 1 to 20
- Catch 20 Bug Counting Game
- Kindergarten Teen Numbers Worksheets 11-20
- Summer Count to 20 Playdough Maths Activities (spring playdough mats)
- Handy Free Printable Number Puzzles 1-20
- Pearl Counting to 20 Worksheets
- Free Counting games for kindergarten 1-20
- Counting to 10 Little bo peep activities for preschool
- Monster Counting Games for Kindergarten 1-20
- Rocketship Number Recognition 11-20 Games
- Numbers 1 to 20 Worksheets (or if you are in fall try these numbers 11 to 20 worksheets)
- Pirate Numbers 11-20 Worksheets pdf
Counting Activities 1-100
- Gumball Counting Activity with free printable template (1-30)
- Free Number Train Printable – practice counting to 20, 1-100, or skip counting
- Bugs Counting to 30 Activities
- Safari Count to 30 Game
- Around the World Puzzles – Counting to 50 Activities
- Spring Math Activities for Preschoolers (counting to 30)
- Bee 1 to 50 Counting Game
- Zoo Animals Printable Number Sense Activity
- Roll to 100 free printable
- Construction Number Recognition Games 1-100
- Hands-on, free printable Domino math games kindergarten
- Flower Spring Number Puzzles
- Free printable Counting to 100 games
- Missing Number Worksheets 1-100
- Around the World Count to 100 Puzzles
Color Matching Printable
Before you grabyour free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All material provided on this blog is copyright protected.