No need to row your boat when you make a baking soda powered boat with this EPIC summer science experiment. This simple baking soda and vinegar experiment has children create a boat that will move when the baking soda vinegar chemical reaction takes place. Try this baking soda and vinegar powered boat with preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, 2nd grade, 3rd grda,e 4th grade, 5th garde, and 6th grade students. You seriously have to try baking soda experiments!
Baking Soda Powered Boat
Young learners are always impressed by baking soda vinegar projects! They are quick, easy, and product a great WOW moment helps kids ask good questions and want to keep exploring and learning. This baking soda and vinegar experiment is similar to our Vinegar and Baking Soda Rocket except that instead of going up, up, and away – we are going to go around and around on a baking soda powered boat. This vinegar and baking soda reaction is perfect for some outrageously FUN summer science that works as a summer stem project perfect for at home, in the classroom, stem camps, science camps, and more! Try this bakign soda boat with preschoolers, kindergartners, grade 1, grade 2, grade 3, grade 4, grade 5, and grade 6 students.
Baking Soda and Vinegar Experiment
This is such a fun summer stem project as kids will design their own boat both asthetically and functionally and then they can watch them move when the chemical reaction occurs between the vinegar and baking soda. All you need are a few simple materials:
- small soda or water bottle
- construction paper, straw, etc. to decorate your boat
- scissors and tape to affix ecorations
- baking soda
- paper towel
- 8″ or more deep bin of water
Baking soda experiments
The first step is to decorate the water bottle so it looks like a boat when you hold it horizontally.
Then you will make a small hole in the non lid side and insert a straw that has the bendy part stick out. Now tape around the hole so that only the straw is coming out of the hole.
Baking soda vinegar
Fill the bottle with 1/2 cup vinegar. Make sure you have a tupper wear bin, kiddie pool, or bathtub with 8″ or more water. 2 tablespoons of baking soda in a paper towel square and roll it up. Now quickly put baking soda roll in bottle and put the lid back on and set in water.
HINT: We had to tweak the experiment since the picture. You want the straw on the bottom part of the bottle so your straw tube is IN THE WATER.
Vinegar and baking soda reaction
Watch it move around. You can repeat the reaction by adding more vinegar and baking soda.
Baking Soda Boat
Wondering why this Baking Soda and Vinegar Powered Boat works? Chemical reactions with our all time favorite reaction: baking soda and vinegar (base and acid). We learned about how this particular chemical reaction has one important product: Carbon Dioxide Gas.
Looking for more outdoor activities for kids and things to do in the summer? Your toddler, preschool, pre k, kindergarten, and elementary age kids will love these fun ideas to keep them busy all summer long:
- Marshmallow Shooters – go over 30 feet!
- 2 ingredient Easy Slime Recipe
- How to Make a Lava Lamp – it’s super EASY!
- Kids will no nuts over this simple Pop Rock Experiment
- Handprint Strawberry Craft for Summer
- Grow Your Own Crystals
- Water Balloon Experiment – exploring densit with an EPIC summer activity for kids
- Amazing Bubble Painting
- Mind Blowing Color Changing Slime
Summer Activities for Kids
- Egg Shell DIY Chia Pet Craft – Silly Spring / Summer Activities for Kids
- Outrageously cool Bouncy Egg Experiment
- Rainbow Summer Activities for Preschoolers
- Grass Head Craft for Kids
- Blow GIANT bubbles with this Homemade Bubble Solution
- I Spy DIY Bottles are quick, easy and FUN!
- Outrageously FUN Bubble Painting
- Bleeding Tissue Paper Fireworks Craft
- Beautiful Flower Suncatcher Craft
- 30 Fun June Crafts for Kids
- Must try Lego Zipline
- Exploding Watermelon Science Experiment
- Homemade Chalk Recipe
- 75+ FUN Scavenger Hunts for Kids
- Find activities by month with our June Crafts for kids or our June Activities for Kids!
Fun Summer Activities for Kids
- Ice Cream Edible Playdough
- Whip up a batch of Kool Aid Playdough – it smells amazing!
- Colorful Bouncy Egg in Vinegar Experiment
- Vinegar and Baking Soda Rocket Science Experiment for Kids
- Summer Bucket List Printable with Ice Cream Theme
- How to Make Ice Cream in a Bag
- Ice Cream Playdough Patterns
- Head to the zoo with this FREE Zoo Scavenger Hunt – lots of choices for all ages!
- Make your favorite animal with one of these 100 animal crafts
- Try one of these fun Animal I Spy Printables
- Play with your food using this goldfish counting activity
- After seeing the frogs at the pond, grab this free life cycle of a frog worksheet
- Avoid the summer learning loss by practicing math with these crack the code worksheets
- First Day of Summer Craft
- Create this gorgeous stained glass art for kids
- 107 Epic Summer Activities for Kids