Kids will love using this colorful diy colored rice in sensory bins and play. Wondering how to color rice? You only need 3 ingredients to make this colorful, fun rice.
More FUN Kids Activities
- Summer Squirt Gun Painting
- DIY Soaker Balls
- Frozen Paint Summer Activity
- Balloon Racers
- Amazing Homemade Chalk
- 40 Summer Science Activities for Kids
- How to Make Ice Cream in a Bag
How to Color Rice
All you need to make this fun sensory material with so many uses for sensory bins, tracing letters, and educational activities is:
- rice (any kind will do – buy the cheap stuff)
- rubbing alcohol (2 teaspoons per color)
- food coloring (standard McCormick food coloring will do)
- large ziplock bags for mixing
Put 2 teas rubbing alcohol (find it in the band-aid isle) and food coloring in a large ziplock bag.
Add 2 cups cheap white rice.
Shake and ‘knead’ to blend thoroughly.
Pour rice on paper towel lined cookie sheet. (This helps it dry quicker) It might be slightly smelly of the rubbing alcohol so you may want to do this on a day you can open windows or better yet can put the tray outside to dry quicker in the sun! It takes a couple hours.
That’s it, simple right?!? You can use the colored rice in sensory boxes or a myriad of other projects. Coming up next is how I used our colored rice!! So tell me, what do you use your colored rice for?