Would you like to do more science projects with your kids, but are not sure where to start? These science activities for preschoolers are quick, EASY, and FUN! We’ve included preschool science experiments by type with more than enough to keep you busy all year round. Try these science experiments for preschoolers, toddlers, kindergartners, and grade 1 students to make learning FUN and, even if you are not so ‘sciencey’ yourself!
Science Activities for Preschoolers
These science activities for preschoolers are a great way to introduce young children to science. Even though toddler, preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, and first grade aged children may not understand all the science theories behind these experiments and activities – they are still learning lots of scientific concepts and practicing critical thinking skills. It’s easy to encourage a love of science at a young age by keeping things playful and fun with preschool science experiments.
Science experiments for preschoolers
There are so many science experiments for preschoolers on this list to choose from. From fun sensory science ideas, to simple garden science activities, arty crafty science and lots of amazing hands-on preschool science ideas to explore all kinds of scientific concepts. You don’t need teaching experience or fancy equipment to try these experiments for preschoolers, just a willingness to experiment! Try one of these science activity for preschool children aged 2, 3, 4, and 5 year olds (older kids will love them too!) with lots of hands on learning opportunities and cool ways to explore science.
Preschool Science Experiments
Get ready for children to say WOW with these easy preschool science experiments!
- How to Make A Lava Lamp from 123 Homeschool 4 me.
Make a cool lava lamp sensory bottle with this Alka-Seltzer science experiment.
- Amazing Lemon Volcano experiment for summertime
- Sand Volcano is a quick and easy beach activity for kids!
- EPIC Watermelon Volcano is loads of fun to learn and play
- Easy to Make Orange Volcanoes from The Art Kit.
You can make these fun mini volcanoes with just a few kitchen supplies.
- Playdough Volcanoes from Glitter on a Dime.
Here’s another super fun idea and easy for making volcanoes.
- Colorful Oil and Water Experiment from Kindergarten Worksheets and Games
- How to Make Fizzy Lemonade – Use a chemical reaction to make your homemade lemonade bubbly!
- Dinosaur Eruptions
- Edible Slime Recipes from Little Bins for Little Hands.
All the fun of learning about polymers with slime without the worry of any little people tasting it!
- Ice Cream Edible Playdough Recipe from 123 Homeschool 4 Me
- Edible Peanut Butter Playdough Recipe
- Funfetti Edible Playdough Recipe
- Colorful Fizzing Sensory Bin from My Bored Toddler.
Combine sensory play and chemistry for this fun activity.
- Rainbow Baking Soda and Vinegar Experiment – This simple, hands on, experiment is perfect for preschoolers and so much fun.
- How to Make Fizzy Sherbet from Laughing Kids Learn.
Try making this deliciously fizzy chemical reaction!
- Ice, Salt and Temperature Science for Kids
- Simple Sink or Float Science Experiment from Kindergarten Worksheets and Games
- Color Surprise Eruptions from Simple Fun for Kids.
There’s a colorful surprise hidden in this science activity.
- Pirate Science Fun from Fun a Day.
These exploding pirate chests look like so much fun to play with!
- Amazing, Color Changing Playdough
- Underwater Sound Experiment for Kids from Still Playing School.
This is a super cool science investigation that is perfect for a hot summer’s day.
- Easy Science Project with Skittles from 123 Homeschool 4 Me.
This is a sweet, rainbow colored experiment.
- How to Make Water Beads Glow from Go Science Kids.
Grab a black light and try this cool sensory science activity.
- Sink or Float Experiment from Edventures with Kids.
There is a great printable worksheet to record your predictions before you try this activity.
- Easy Science Discovery Bottles from Little Bins for Little Hands.
These ideas for science sensory bottles are so fun to explore.
Kindergarten science experiments
These science activities for kindergarten make it playful and fun to learn about scientific principles and develop of love of learning!
- Chromatography Flowers from 123 Homeschool 4 Me
- Chromatography Butterflies – Instead of mixing colors like you normally do in art, you’ll be separating colors for this science and art project.
- Rainbow Walking Water Science Experiment
This is a great project to learn about absorption and color mixing,
there is even a great free printable to go with it.
- Mushroom Spore Prints from Go Science Kids.
Learn all about mushrooms while making some art.
- Magic Paper Towel Art from Messy Little Monster.
Is this activity magic or is it science?
- Rainbow Magic Milk Experiment from Childhood101.
If you haven’t tried this super cool experiment you really need to give it a go!
- Blooming Paper Flower Experiment from Preschool Play and Learn
You only need paper, scissors and water to try this experiment.
- Sunscreen Experiment – This easy experiment helps kids understand why sunscreen is important.
- Watercolors and Oil Art Science for Kids from Babble Dabble Do.
Combining watercolors and oil is a fun way to explore science and art at the same time with gorgeous results.
- Make your own Borax Crystals
- Fizzy Painting from Taming Little Monsters. Use a chemical reaction to make art!
- Grow a Rainbow Experiment from Kindergarten Worksheets and Games
You can see the rainbow grow right before your eyes!
- Salt Painting Science Experiment from A Dab of Glue Will Do.
This is a creative way to teach children all about absorption.
- EPIC Snow Volcano
- How to Make a Drawbot from Picklebums.
Make some simple robots that can draw!
- Pendulum Paintings from Hello Wonderful.
The kids will be mesmerized by this cool STEM activity.
Learn about plants with these fun garden expeirments for young learners!
- Parts of a Plant Science Experiment and printable worksheet
- Plants and Sunlight Simple Science Experiment from Mama Smiles.
The kids love this simple visual phototropism plant science experiment.
- Color Changing Flower Experiment from Kindergarten Worksheets and Games.
This experiment demonstrates how plants drink water and with a few simple things you can make a white flower turn blue!
- Fun Garden Preschool Science Experiment from From Enginner to Stay at Home Mom
Learn what the best environment is for a seed to grow.
- Growing Carrot Tops Science Experiment from Rainy Day Mum.
You can do this experiment with kitchen leftovers!
- Garden in a Glove from The Kinderhearted Classroom.
How fun to grow plants in a glove!
- Garden Science – Worms and Compost from The Educators Spin on it.
Learn all about worms and how they turn compost into dirt.
- Ant Experiment from Lemon Lime Adventures.
Experiment to see which sweetener ants like best.
- Sprout House from The STEM Laboratory.
Combining engineering and science into one project to learn about germination.
- Growing Grass from Pre-K Pages.
You can do this garden science activity inside or outside and it’s a great way to learn about the needs of a plant and allow kids to observe changes over time.
- Potato Maze – Summer STEM Activity for Kids
- Water Pollution for Kids Science Expeirment
- Simple Geranium Photosynthesis Experiment for Kids
- How to Regrow Celery in Water
- Food coloring flower experiment worksheet Science Experiment for kids
- Color Changing Flower Experiment learning about capillar action
- Simple Blooming Flowers Capillary Action Experiment
- Grow Crystals Flower Experiment
- Easy BEE Pollination Experimnt for kids using Jello
- Simple Acid Rain Pollution Experiment for Kids
- Seeds and Plants Unit filled with hands-on Plant Activities for Kindergarten
- Beautiful Chromatography for Kids Flower Project
Science activity for preschool
We have found so many science projects for preschoolers, it is hard to pick which one to start with!
- Cleaning Pennies with Ketchup from Team Cartwright.
Wow your kids with simple kitchen science experiment.
- Air Pressure Science Experiment with eggs
- Bouncy Egg Science Experiment for Kids – Did you know that you can make an egg bounce? This experiment shows you how.
- How to Grow Crystals Overnight from Babble Dabble Do.
Grow awesome crystals quickly and easily with these instructions.
- Butterfly Life Cycle from Mamma Miss.
Learn all about butterflies with this lovely free printable and activity.
- Raising Tadpoles from The Craft Train.
- Homemade Butter Science Experiment
- Bending Water Science Experiment from Kindergarten Worksheets and Games
- Swirling Galaxy Science Experiment Set up and observation tank and watch as the tadpoles turn into frogs.
- Simple Science Earthquake Experiment from The Chaos and the Clutter.
This hands on science experiment is lots of fun and uses items you probably already have at home.
- Colorful Polymer science Experiment
- Simple Surface Tensions Experiment
- Rain Cloud in a Jar Science Experiment – This is a super cool experiment to play around with.
- Tornado Experiment – Weather Science for Kids from Natural Beach Living.
Learn about the way tornadoes work with this fun experiment.
- Make Your Own Mini Microscope from Childhood101.
Did you know you could make a microscope from kitchen items?
- Dancing Raisins Science Experiment
This fun experiment will definitely make the kids smile.
- Creating Frost Science Experiment
- Charged Atoms Science Experiment
- Pop Rock Science Experiment
- Microwave Ivory Soap Experiment from Happy Hooligans.
The Expanding Ivory Soap Experiment is a classic science activity that will fascinate everyone!
- Exploding Watermelon Science from 123 Homeschool 4 Me.
The kids will love helping add rubber bands to this explosive experiment.
- Water Displacement Candy Experiment
- DIY Solar Oven from The Craft Train.
Make a solar oven from a cardboard box and recycle your old crayons!
We have lots more preschool science to explore! Which one of these science experiments for kindergarten and EASY preschool science ideas will you try first?
Looking for more fun and free pre k worksheets to make learning fun for early learners? Check out these resources:
- Join Elsa, Anna, Kristoff, and Olaf with these adorable FROZEN Preschool Worksheets
- Villains Disney Printables – These themed worksheets make it fun for kids to practice a variety of skills
- Fish Preschool Worksheets for working on a variety of skills
- Preschool Beach Theme Printables
- Super cute and FREE If you Give a Mouse a Cookie Printables
- You’ll go Bananas for these cute Minion Printable Worksheets
- HUGE Pack of Free Superhero Worksheets
- Princess Worksheets with your favorite Disney princesses like Ariel, Aurora Belle, Snow White, Cinderella, and more!
- Head to the tower to learn with Tangled using these Rapunzel Worksheets Pack
- Learn all about weather with these Free Weather Printables
- Work on learning colors with these Color Worksheets for Preschoolers
- Planet Worksheets for Kindergarten
- Super cute The Very Hungry Caterpillar Worksheets
- Free Mouse Paint Printables
- Community Helpers Coloring Pages
- Go prehistoric with this colorful Free Dinosaur Printables or these dinosaur printables
- Yeehaw! Join the cowboys in these Wild West Worksheets
- Super cute, FREE Preschool Construction Theme Printables
- Lots more Kindergarten Worksheets with fun themes
- ⭐Reader Favorite Alphabet Coloring Pages shaed like the uppercase letter
- ⭐You don’t want to miss these Alphabet Worksheets
- Preschoolers love these cute, FREE Alphabet Coloring Pages
- ✂ Free Printable Lowercase alphabet crafts or Uppercase Letter Crafts
- Grab those bingo daubers and practice your ABCs with these Alphabet Bingo Dauber Printables or these Letter Recognition Worksheets
- Dinosaur Color by Number Printable or these Zoo Animals Color By Number Worksheets
- Work on visual discrimination with these FREE I Spy Farm Animals Worksheet pages
- Head to the farm with these printable Preschool Farm Activities Free
- Sight Words Printable List and free activities to help learn preschool sight words
- Hand Washing Activities for Preschoolers
- 50+ Fun Preschool Science Experiments or these 100 Food Science Experiments
- Check out these fun Shape Craft Ideas for preschoolers or these
- Zoo Animal Crafts for kids
- Zoo Animals Uppercase Tracing Letters
- Grab some kid favorite cut and paste worksheets
- Help kids learn their ABCs and work on letter recognition with these super cute A to Z Worksheet pages
- Over 2000 pages of free alphabet printables to find exactly what you are looking for!
- Huge pack of solar system worksheets
- Free Printable Alphabet Worksheets
- Simple machines for kids projects, lesson plans, printables, and more!
- FREE Maps for kids including printable world map for kids, continent maps, and country maps too
- Handy Sight Words Printable list plus lots of sight word games, activities, and worksheets too!
- Learn about other countries around the world with our free country coloring pages
- We also have reading list like this 1st grade reading books pdf to help you pick engaging books for kids!
- Celebrate the letter of the week with these adorable, Free Alphabet Hats
- Make learning fun with these free cut and paste worksheets
- Plus don’t miss this outrageously fun Human Body Project
- We have lots of themed worksheets like these super cute Frozen preschool worksheets
- Color, Read and Learn your letters with this printable alphabet book pdf for each letter A to Z
- Make science FUN for kids of all ages with over 100 Food Experiments to try
- Teach kids to tell time with this huge pack of printable time puzzles
Looking for more fun, creative ways you can begin your free homeschool? We have over 1,000,000 pages of FREE Printable Worksheets including resources for: pre k worksheets, kindergarten worksheets, 1st grade worksheets, 2nd grade worksheets, 3rd grade worksheets, 4th grade worksheets, 5th grade worksheets, 6th grade worksheets, and more. Plus see our history lessons for kids, hands-on countries for kids, printable math games, language arts worksheets, sight word worksheets, free alphabet printables, and cvc word activities for kids of all ages! And our hugely popular Pipe Cleaner constellation activities
Leave a Reply