Would you like to do more science activities with your kids, but are not sure where to start? These Easy Science Activities for Preschoolers and kindergarten science experimentsare fun and easy, even if you are not so ‘sciencey’ yourself!
Easy Preschool Science Experiments
These preschool science activities are a great way to introduce young children to science. Even though preschool aged children may not understand all the science theories behind these experiments and activities, they are still learning lots of scientific concepts and practicing critical thinking skills which are essential for so many areas of learning, especially science. It’s easy to encourage a love of science at a young age by keeping things playful and fun.
There are so many simple science activities on this list to choose from. From fun sensory science ideas, to simple garden science activities, arty crafty science and lots of amazing hands-on ideas to explore all kinds of scientific concepts. You don’t need teaching experience or fancy equipment to try these fun science ideas with your kids, just a willingness to experiment!
These science activities are perfect for kids aged 2, 3, 4, and 5 year olds (older kids will love them too!) with lots of hands on learning opportunities and cool ways to explore science.
Preschool Science Experiments
Sensory Science Activities for Preschoolers
- How to Make A Simple Lava Lamp from 123 Homeschool 4 me.
Make a cool lava lamp sensory bottle with this Alka-Seltzer science experiment.
- Easy to Make Orange Volcanoes from The Art Kit.
You can make these fun mini volcanoes with just a few kitchen supplies.
- Playdough Volcanoes from Glitter on a Dime.
Here’s another super fun idea and easy for making volcanoes.
- Colorful Oil and Water Experiment from Kindergarten Worksheets and Games
- How to Make Fizzy Lemonade from Go Science Kids.
Use a chemical reaction to make your homemade lemonade bubbly!
- Dinosaur Eruptions
- Edible Slime Recipes from Little Bins for Little Hands.
All the fun of learning about polymers with slime without the worry of any little people tasting it!
- Edible Playdough Recipe from 123 Homeschool 4 Me
- Colorful Fizzing Sensory Bin from My Bored Toddler.
Combine sensory play and chemistry for this fun activity.
- Rainbow Baking Soda and Vinegar Experiment from Happily Ever Mom.
This simple, hands on, experiment is perfect for preschoolers and so much fun.
- How to Make Fizzy Sherbet from Laughing Kids Learn.
Try making this deliciously fizzy chemical reaction!
- Ice, Salt and Temperature Science for Kids
- Simple Sink or Float Science Experiment from Kindergarten Worksheets and Games
- Color Surprise Eruptions from Simple Fun for Kids.
There’s a colorful surprise hidden in this science activity.
- Pirate Science Fun from Fun a Day.
These exploding pirate chests look like so much fun to play with!
- Color Changing Playdough
- Underwater Sound Experiment for Kids from Still Playing School.
This is a super cool science investigation that is perfect for a hot summer’s day.
- Easy Science Project with Skittles from 123 Homeschool 4 Me.
This is a sweet, rainbow colored experiment.
- How to Make Water Beads Glow from Go Science Kids.
Grab a black light and try this cool sensory science activity.
- Sink or Float Experiment from Edventures with Kids.
There is a great printable worksheet to record your predictions before you try this activity.
- Easy Science Discovery Bottles from Little Bins for Little Hands.
These ideas for science sensory bottles are so fun to explore.
Arty Crafty Science Activities for Preschoolers
- Chromatography Flowers from 123 Homeschool 4 Me
- Chromatography Butterflies from Buggy and Buddy.
Instead of mixing colors like you normally do in art, you’ll be separating colors for this science and art project.
- Rainbow Walking Water Science Experiment
This is a great project to learn about absorption and color mixing,
there is even a great free printable to go with it.
- Mushroom Spore Prints from Go Science Kids.
Learn all about mushrooms while making some art.
- Magic Paper Towel Art from Messy Little Monster.
Is this activity magic or is it science?
- Rainbow Magic Milk Experiment from Childhood101.
If you haven’t tried this super cool experiment you really need to give it a go!
- Blooming Paper Flower Experiment from Active Littles.
You only need paper, scissors and water to try this experiment.
- Sunscreen Painting Experiment from Team Cartwright.
This easy experiment helps kids understand why sunscreen is important.
- Watercolors and Oil Art Science for Kids from Babble Dabble Do.
Combining watercolors and oil is a fun way to explore science and art at the same time with gorgeous results.
- Borax Crystals
- Fizzy Painting from Taming Little Monsters.
Use a chemical reaction to make art!
- Grow a Rainbow Experiment from The Best Ideas for Kids.
You can see the rainbow grow right before your eyes!
- Salt Painting Science Experiment from A Dab of Glue Will Do.
This is a creative way to teach children all about absorption.
- Snow Volcano
- How to Make a Drawbot from Picklebums.
Make some simple robots that can draw!
- Pendulum Paintings from Hello Wonderful.
The kids will be mesmerized by this cool STEM activity.
Garden Science Activities for Preschoolers
- Parts of a Plant Science Experiment and printable worksheet
- Plants and Sunlight Simple Science Experiment from Mama Smiles.
The kids love this simple visual phototropism plant science experiment.
- Color Changing Flower Experiment from Kindergarten Worksheets and Games.
This experiment demonstrates how plants drink water and with a few simple things you can make a white flower turn blue!
- Fun Garden Preschool Science Experiment from From Enginner to Stay at Home Mom
Learn what the best environment is for a seed to grow.
- Growing Carrot Tops Science Experiment from Rainy Day Mum.
You can do this experiment with kitchen leftovers!
- Garden in a Glove from The Kinderhearted Classroom.
How fun to grow plants in a glove!
- Garden Science – Worms and Compost from The Educators Spin on it.
Learn all about worms and how they turn compost into dirt.
- Ant Experiment from Lemon Lime Adventures.
Experiment to see which sweetener ants like best.
- Sprout House from The STEM Laboratory.
Combining engineering and science into one project to learn about germination.
- Silly Grass Science Experiment
- Growing Grass from Pre-K Pages.
You can do this garden science activity inside or outside and it’s a great way to learn about the needs of a plant and allow kids to observe changes over time.
Hands on Learning Science Activities for Preschoolers.
- Cleaning Pennies with Ketchup from Team Cartwright.
Wow your kids with simple kitchen science experiment.
- Air Pressure Science Experiment with eggs
- Bouncy Egg Science Experiment for Kids from Mombrite.
Did you know that you can make an egg bounce? This experiment shows you how.
- How to Grow Crystals Overnight from Babble Dabble Do.
Grow awesome crystals quickly and easily with these instructions.
- Butterfly Life Cycle from Mamma Miss.
Learn all about butterflies with this lovely free printable and activity.
- Raising Tadpoles from The Craft Train.
- Homemade Butter Science Experiment
- Bending Water Science Experiment from Kindergarten Worksheets and Games
- Swirling Galaxy Science Experiment Set up and observation tank and watch as the tadpoles turn into frogs.
- Simple Science Earthquake Experiment from The Chaos and the Clutter.
This hands on science experiment is lots of fun and uses items you probably already have at home.
- Colorful Polymer science Experiment
- Simple Surface Tensions Experiment
- Rain Cloud in a Jar Science Experiment from Natural Beach Living.
This is a super cool experiment to play around with.
- Tornado Experiment – Weather Science for Kids from Natural Beach Living.
Learn about the way tornadoes work with this fun experiment.
- Make Your Own Mini Microscope from Childhood101.
Did you know you could make a microscope from kitchen items?
- Dancing Raisins Science Experiment
This fun experiment will definitely make the kids smile.
- Creating Frost Science Experiment
- Charged Atoms Science Experiment
- Pop Rock Science Experiment
- Microwave Ivory Soap Experiment from Happy Hooligans.
The Expanding Ivory Soap Experiment is a classic science activity that will fascinate everyone!
- Exploding Watermelon Science from 123 Homeschool 4 Me.
The kids will love helping add rubber bands to this explosive experiment.
- Water Displacement Candy Experiment
- DIY Solar Oven from The Craft Train.
Make a solar oven from a cardboard box and recycle your old crayons!
Which one of these easy preschool science ideas will you try first?
Preschoolers will love these 100 AMAZING Food Experiments