With the spread of the flu and germs, we are all becoming more aware of the need to make sure everyone is washing their hands frequently and thoroughly! Keep your family as safe as possible with these 30 clever ideas for making Hand Washing for Kids FUN!
Hand Washing for Kids
As adults, we know that one of the best way to stop the spread of illness is to was our hands, but it’s not always easy to get our children washing their hands too. Use these hand washing activities for preschoolers to keep germs at bay all winter long.
This list includes more than 20 hand wash activities with some great information and ideas for teaching students about why it’s important to wash their hands, as well as how to wash their hands properly. There are some fun science experiments and other hands on activities, some awesome free printables, some fabulous DIY soaps to make, and lots of ways we can make hand washing fun for kids.
Whether you are a parent, teacher, homeschoolers, daycare, church program, extra curriculular sponsor, or grandparent – you will want to use some of these resources and ideas to keep children washing hands throughout flu season. These ideas are great for toddlers, preschool, pre k, kindergarten, first grade, 2nd grade, 3rd grade, 4th grade, 5th grade, 6th grade, middle school and even high school students.
Hand Wash Activities
Teach your kids why it is so important to wash their hands, and the correct procedure for hand washing, with these fun, hands-on activities as you are hand washing for preschoolers. These hand washing activities for toddlers are outrageous.
- The Hand Washing Song by The Wiggles.
Such a fun way to learn about hand washing!
- Learn To Wash Your Hands song by Jack Hartmann Kids Music Channel.
This is another super cool hand washing song and video to watch with your kids.
- Hand Washing Songs and Videos from Fun A Day.
There are lots more fun songs about hand washing on this great list.
- Wash Your Hands Sensory Play from How Wee Learn.
This simple sensory play activity helps little ones learn about hand washing.
- Growing Germs from Playdough to Plato.
This fun science experiment will show kids why they need to wash their hands.
- Glitter Germy Hands Experiment from The Soccer Mom Blog.
What a fun way to teach kids good hand washing habits.
- Wash Your Hands Sensory Bin from Toddler Approved.
This is a great hands on way to learn about, and practice, hand washing.
Hand Washing Posters
Download and print these free printable, hand washing posters and fun activities to remind kids to wash their hands. There are lots of wash your hands sign funny for you to print and post by your bathroom and kitchen sinks! You may want to consider laminating your hand washing printable as things around the sink tend to get splashed on!
- 20+ FREE Hand Wshing Posters – include color and black & white options for parents, teachers, and kids of all ages!
- Teaching Kids About Hand Washing: Free Hand Washing Poster from Childhood101.
Print this great poster to remind kids how to wash their hands.
- Hand Washing Coloring Page and Activity from Messy Little Monster.
This cute free printable coloring page is a great way to remind kids how important it is to wash their hands.
- Free Printable Hand Washing Poster from Nurturestore.
These free printable posters help kids remember when to wash their hands.
- Hand Washing Bingo Game from View from a Step Stool.
This free printable bingo game will turn hand washing into a fun game!
- Hand Washing Poster from Scholastic.
This free printable poster could be colored in if you like.
- How to Wash Your Hands Sequencing Pack from Simple Living Creative Learning.
This free printable sequencing activity pack is a great way to learn about hand washing.
- Cute Hand Washing Printable from Mom Endeavors.
This is such an adorable printable poster!
How to Make Homemade Soap
Whether you are looking for a cool and crazy soaps to make with your kids to make washing hands fun or if your local store is out of spa, hand sanitizer, and other cleaning supplies, these homemade soap recipes make washing your hands super fun!
- Unicorn Horn Soap Project from STEAM Powered Family.
Make this gorgeous soap and learn about germs and hand washing too!
- Homemade Rainbow Soap from Art Bar Blog.
This gorgeous soap is so colorful and fun, and easy to make with the kids.
- Mermaid Whipped Soap from Natural Beach Living.
This homemade soap is almost too pretty to use!
- Treat Soap from Kids Activities Blog.
The more you wash with this soap the closer you are to getting the treat! Genius!
- Soap Jellies from STEAM Powered Family.
Kids will love these sparkly, jiggley, squishy, playable soaps.
- DIY Soap Dough from Mama Papa Bubba.
This soft, mouldable, soap is so fun to wash with.
With all these fabulously fun hand washing ideas, the kids will actually enjoy washing their hands, and we’ll all be doing our part to reduce the spread of illness.
Happy hand washing!
And just in case you are one of the millions of moms, dads, and grandparents whose schools are closing as a result of the pandemic. We can help! We have over 300,000 FREE worksheets for kidsand fun educational activities arranged by grade and by subject so your kids will not fall behind in school, they will have fun learning at home, they will have a sense of purpose (kids NEED routine!), and you will create fun memories too. Whether you grab one of our free printable worksheets to give to kids to work on their own, or opt for a fun hands- on activity – kids will have fun with school closings!
Looking for more fun, creative ways you can begin homeschooling for free? We have over 1,000,000 pages of FREE 4th grade worksheets, pre k worksheets, kindergarten worksheets, grade 1 worksheets, second grade worksheets, 3rd grade worksheets, and more for K12. Plus see our history lesson plans, free math games, english worksheets, sight words activities, alphabet worksheets, and cvc word games for kids of all ages!
Looking for more fun ideas with your family? Try our 40+ April Activies for Kids or these fun April Crafts for Kids. Spend time reading together as a family with our April Stories for Kids, Childrens Books to Read, or our Bookcase Reading Logs to have a friendly family reading contest.
Plus don’t miss our other great articles on surviving the pandemic:
- 15 Ways to Avoid Social Isolation as you Shelter at Home
- Conversation Starters – Stay Connected with Grandparents During Social Isolation
- 101 FUN Things to do in Isolation
- Sorry, you are NOT Homeschooling – debunking the homeschooling is too hard myth
- 10 Things Parents MUST do in Social Isolation
- School Closure Guide for Parents – lots of practical tips for parents!
- Is your Family Driving you Nuts in Social Isolation? Try this!
- Brain Breaks for kids – studies show that taking a 3-5 minutes brain break increases productivity for the next 45 minutes! Plus, kids need to get the wiggles out and not sit in front of a screen all day as they school at home!
- Keep encouraging kids to wash their hands to fight germs with these 40+ FREE Printable Wash Your Hands Posters
- 1 million FREE Worksheets, Games, and Activities for Prek-8th grade
- Learn about other countries in the news: Spain Coloring Pages, Italy Coloring Pages, China Coloring Pages
- 40 Virtual Fieldtrips for Families practining Social Distancing