My kids love doing this magic milk experiment again and again; including many seasonal varieties. My kids just love the vibrant moving colors in this Magic Milk Experiment for toddler, preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, and first grade students. This easy science experiment for preschoolers is fun to watch and help get kids excited about science – it does not disappoint!
Color changing milk
There is something about mixing red, blue, and yellow to get new colors like orange, green, purple, plus variations of those colors. I’ll admit it, even as a parent I loe seeing the color mixing take place and colors zoom around in little explosions. This milk food coloring experiment is such a fun twist on a classic magic milk science experiment. And we love easy Science Experiments to help kids discover the wonder of the world around them as they learn and explore. This is perfect for toddlers, preschoolers, kindergartners, and grade 1 students. Grab a few supplies and lets get experimenting!
Magic Milk Experiment
All you need to try this quick and easy Science activity with your kiddos are a few simple materials you probably already have on hand:
- Food Coloring (red, yellow, blue)
- Dish Soap
- Optional: Christmas Sprinkles
- Plate or Shallow Bowl
- Toothpick or butter knife
Color changing milk science experiment
Pour the milk onto the plate. You don’t need too much, just enough to cover the bottom of the plate.
Next, drop in the food coloring. A few drops of different colors in various places. Completely random, but spaced out from each other.
Color changing milk experiment
When you’re ready, add a couple drops of dish soap. You will instantly see the colors swirl around the milk. It is like the colors turned into ballroom dancers, just floating on the milk.
Color mixing science experiments
This milk and dish soap experiment was explained to me like cleaning up butter. The dish soap helps cut the fat and grease. The dish soap does the same type of thing with the fat of the milk. It separates the two liquids and makes the colors dance!
When dish soap is dropped into milk, there is a swirl of activity of soap molecules finding and bonding with fat molecules in the milk. With millions of molecules swirling around looking for mates, the colors in the milk get all mixed up! It looks like the milk is erupting for several seconds.
Color changing milk experiment lesson plan
Besides being very fun to watch, it is seriously so beautiful. It is not something that could be made twice in the same way, it’s that type of beauty. Just like a sunset. We have sunsets every night, but they are different each time!
Colour changing milk
I jus love the shades of jade and turquoise tht appeared plus the marbel look of yellow and blue. So did my kids!
Fun Science Experiments for Kids
Looking for more outdoor activities for kids and things to do in the summer? Your toddler, preschool, pre k, kindergarten, and elementary age kids will love these fun ideas to keep them busy all summer long:
- Marshmallow Shooters – go over 30 feet!
- Amazing Lemon Volcano Experiment for Kids
- 2 ingredient Easy Slime Recipe
- How to Make a Simple Newton’s Cradle Science Experiment
- Watermelon Volcano Experiment – Summer Activity for Preschoolers
- Super Simple Sand Slime
- EPIC Mentos and Soda Experiment
- How to Make a Lava Lamp – it’s super EASY!
- Kids will no nuts over this simple Pop Rock Experiment
- Easy Button Crafts for Kids
- Handprint Strawberry Craft for Summer
- Grow Your Own Crystals
- Water Balloon Experiment – exploring densit with an EPIC summer activity for kids
- Amazing Bubble Painting
- Mind Blowing Color Changing Playdough
Summer Activities for Kids
- Egg Shell DIY Chia Pet Craft – Silly Spring / Summer Activities for Kids
- Grass Head Craft for Kids
- Human Heart for Kids: 2 Fun Heart Models plus Worksheets
- EASY Stained Glass Pasta Art for Kids
- Simple Flower Mason Jar Lid Crafts
- Free Beach Worksheets for Kids
- Chromatography Butterflies – EASY Butterfly Craft for Kids
- Silly Bandaid Art Craft for kids
- Blow GIANT bubbles with this Homemade Bubble Solution
- Outrageously FUN Bubble Painting
- Bleeding Tissue Paper Fireworks Craft
- Fun to play with Ocean Slime
- Beautiful Flower Suncatcher Craft
- 30 Fun June Crafts for Kids
- Kids will be amazed at the l-o-n-g colorful bubble snakes they can make with this easy activity
- Must try Lego Zipline
- Exploding Watermelon Science Experiment
- Homemade Chalk Recipe
- 75+ FUN Scavenger Hunts for Kids
- Find activities by month with our June Crafts for kids or our June Activities for Kids!
- 20+ Printable Roadtrip Games
Fun Summer Activities for Kids
- Ice Cream Edible Playdough
- Whip up a batch of Kool Aid Playdough – it smells amazing!
- EASY, Vibrant Sidewalk Chalk Paint for Kids
- Color-Changing Flowers – Capillary Action Science Experiment
- Fun-to-play with Fluffy Slime Watermelon Activities for Preschoolers
- Leak Proof Bag – Amazing Science Experiment with Everyday Materials
- Mind-Blowing Magnetic Slime for Kids
- I Spy DIY Bottles are quick, easy and FUN!
- Amazing Tin Foil Art Project for Kids of all Ages
- Vinegar and Baking Soda Rocket Science Experiment for Kids
- Summer Bucket List Printable with Ice Cream Theme
- How to Make Ice Cream in a Bag
- Ice Cream Playdough Patterns
- Head to the zoo with this FREE Zoo Scavenger Hunt – lots of choices for all ages!
- Make your favorite animal with one of these 100 animal crafts
- Try one of these fun Animal I Spy Printables
- Epic Squirt Gun Painting
- 10+ Pasta Flower Crafts for Kids
- Play with your food using this goldfish counting activity
- After seeing the frogs at the pond, grab this free life cycle of a frog worksheet
- Avoid the summer learning loss by practicing math with these crack the code worksheets
- First Day of Summer Craft
- Create this gorgeous stained glass art for kids
- 107 Epic Summer Activities for Kids