Just because it’s cold outside doesn’t mean you can’t have fun on these dreary winter days with these clever and fun January activities for kids. We have lots of ways to play with these January activities perfect for toddler, preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, 2nd grade, and 3rd grade children. We’ve included lots of snow activities, plus cute penguin activities, hands-on snowflake activities, not-so-chilly winer activities, and more for your winter theme.
January Activities for Kids
If you are stuck inside because of bad weather, or just looking for some fun new winter activities for kids to try, there are lots of winter activity ideas on this list to keep the kids busy for the entire month of January! These January activities for kids are perfect for making memories with toddlers, preschoolers, kindergartens, grade 1, grade 2, and grade 3 students.
We have so many clever winter activities for the month of January including winter science experiments, winter sensory play ideas, some winter STEM activities to try. From snow activities and snowflake activities to penguin activities and snowmen activities – we’ve got lots of fun winter ideas to do during January.
You’ve got to try these snow activities for kids including winter slime recipes, igloo challenges, snow globe activities, snow playdough, and more!
- Fluffy Snow Slime from Natural Beach Living. Your kids will love making and playing with this slime!
- Melting Snowman Slime from 123 Homeschool 4 Me is such a fun way for kids to have fun building a winter snowman.
- Build and Igloo Stem Challenge from Kids’ Craft Room. IF it is snowy where you live you have to try this!
- Snowball Games from Thinking Zing. You can play these fun games inside, even if you don’t have snow!
- This Easy Snowglobe Craft for Kids is easy to make and provides hours of beautiful winter entertainment for kids of all ages.
- Snowstorm Glitter Sensory Bottle from Rhythms of Play. Make a beautiful glittery snowstorm in a bottle!
- Winter Science – How Much Water is in Snow Experiment from Edventures With Kids. There is so much to learn from this simple science experiment.
- This Snow Dough couldn’t be easier to make plus it is EPIC to build and play with; it is even chilly like snow too!!
- Piles of Snow – Fill in the Missing Numbers Printable from Simple Fun For Kids This is a super fun free printable number activity.
- Here is a fun indoor snowball activity that is sure to be a hit.
- Three Ingredient Snow Ice Cream. Turn all that snow into something creamy and delicious!
- Looking for a fun way to get out and PLAY in the snow? Try this outrageously fun Squirt Gun Snow Activity for an activity your kids won’t soon forget!
Sneak in some fun snowman activities for kids with these clever ideas to work on name recognition, explore sensory play, color recognition, and more!
- Snowman Color Matching Activity from The Preschool Toolbox. This cute free printable activity is a great way to practice color recognition skills.
- If you’d prefer to try an indoor winter activity, kids will go nuts over this Snowman Puffy Paint recipe and the cool snowman they can create.
- Snowman Sensory Bottles from Little Bins for Little Hands. These are the cutest sensory bottles ever!
- How to Make a Crystal Snowman from Go Science Kids. This borax crystal snowman is a cute winter themed activity to try.
- Snowman Busy Bag from Best Toys 4 Toddlers. This is a lovely quiet time activity.
- Sneak in some math with this super cute, Free Snowman Math Activity or these Snow Globe Letter FInd Worksheets
- Snowman Baking Soda Science from Little Bins for Little Hands. Melt this cute snowmen with science!
- Name Snowman from Fun A Day. What a great way to get kids writing their names!
- Ok so these Glue Snowman are actually a craft, but it is so much fun to make we wanted to include it in this list of fun activities!
- Playdough Snowman Factory from Buggy and Buddy. Make these adorable play dough snowmen.
How pretty are these snowflake activities for kids! From diy crystal snowman to q tip snowflake building, shimmery slime to geoboard snowflakes – you’ve got to try these ideas!
- Snowflake Building Fine Motor Activity from Homeschooling My Kinetic Kids. This is a great fine motor activity using items you probably already have at home!
- Sneak in some math with this Winter Stem Fraction Activity
- Crystal Snowflakes from Natural Beach Living. This fun science experiment has gorgeous results.
- Appearing Snowflakes from From Engineer to Stay at Home Mom. This is an almost magical art and science activity.
- Snowflake Slime from Little Bins for Little Hands. This recipe makes gorgeous glittery snowflake slime.
- Geoboard Snowflake Activity from School Time Snippets. Combine engineering, maths, fine motor skills and creativity to make these snowflakes.
We also have lots of fun penguin activities for kids to learn and play with these cute arctic animals.
- Penguin Fine Motor Lego Mat from Life Over C’s. The penguin mat is so cute, and there are 8 other winter themed mats in this free printable set!
- Penguin Craft and Writing Prompt from A Dab of Glue Will Do. Make a cute penguin then practice your creative writing skills with this free printable.
- Penguin Marshmallows from Eats Amazing. Easy, adorable, and delicious!
- Free Penguin Color Matching Activity makes learning FUN
- Penguin Winter Clothing Color Matching from Totschooling. This free printable is such a cute way to learn colors!
- Ice Skating Penguins Small World from Messy Little Monster. How much fun would it be to skate some penguins around the ice!?!
- Practice counting with these adorable, FREE Penguing Counting Clip Cards
- Penguin Sensory Sink from Teaching Mama. What a clever idea to use the sink for this easy sensory small world.
- This Penguin Shape Sorting Activity is a great way to teach kids about shapes while having FUN
January activities for preschoolers
Looking for even more winter activities for preschoolers and winter activities for toddlers? Try these fun activities:
- Mitten Themed Letter Matching Activity from The Preschool Toolbox. Such a cute free printable letter learning activity.
- These winter rhyming word puzzles are a fun, hands on activity for kids
- Fine Motor Mitten Lacing Activity from Best Toys 4 Toddlers. These warm snuggly felt mittens make a great fine motor activity.
- This low prep Winter Syllable Activity is sure to be a hit with your Prek/ K /1st grade kids
- Winter Sensory Bin from Teaching Two and Three Year Olds. The battery operated tea light candles in this sensory bin makes it extra special!
- Winter Build, Read, Write Mats from Fun With Mama. These free printables are a great way to practice reading and writing skills.
- You may also want to try these Winter Story Starters or these cute Winter Color by Number Worksheets.
- Winter Scavenger Hunt from Edventures with Kids. Rug and up and head outside with this free printable to hunt for these winter treasures.
- How to Make Frozen Bubbles from Fireflies and Mudpies. This is super cool! If it is cold where you live you have to try it!
- These Winter Icicles are fun and EASY to make and are such a wonderful kid made decoration for Janary.
- Don’t forget ot check out these great Winter Books for Kids
January activities for elementary students
If you’ve got creative kids and you need even more ideas to keep them busy this month, then try some of these January themed art and craft ideas for kids.
Plus, this list of amazing January Crafts for kids has something fun to do every day of the month! Which ones will you try?
Looking for more fun and FREE winter printables to make learning fun this January? Check out these resources:
- This is such a cute Winter Syllable Activty for Kids
- Looking for more rhyming activities? Kids will have fun practicing with these Hot Chocolate and Marshmallow Rhyming Puzzles.
- This winter, your young learners can work on rhyming words with this set of winter rhymes for preschoolers.
- One of our most popular winter printable – Trace & Erase: Snowman Letter Practice
- Work on letter recognition with these clever Snow Globe Letter FInd Worksheets
- Kids can spend some time this winter focusing on the things they’re thankful for with this winter gratitude journal for kids.
- Work on early reading skills with these Snowman Word Family Spinners
- Kids will have fun practicing a variety of math and literacy skills with these Free Snowman Worksheets
- Young learners will practice ordering events with this set of The Mitten story sequence activities.
- Adorable Snowman Counting Book to help kids practice counting from 1-10
- Practice counting to 100 with these Winter Hudnreds Chart Coloring Pages revealing winter scenes as they color by number.
- Kids will hardly realize they are practicing math while they make these Snowman Math Crafts
- Plus don’t miss this fun printable lesson where you will learn All About Fish, Sharks facts for Kids, and amazing rays!
Leave a Reply