Kids will love this fun snowman activity that allows them to sneak in a little science to a cold, winter day! Snowman eruptions are so easy, and this is such a cute project for toddler, preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, and first grade students. In these winter science experiments children will watch the effect of baking soda and vinegar in a silly and outrageously FUN snow experiments.
Winter science experiments
This winter science experiment couldn’t be any more simple. You will make a happy water bottle snowman craft. Then we will watch a chemical reaction in this baking soda and vinegar experiment to make the winter snowman erupt! It is basically like making a snowman volcano with your toddlers, preschoolers, kindergartners, and grade 1 students. Trust me, this is a easy science experiment for winter your children will want to do over and over again all through the Christmas holiday season in December into January and February for a winter activity for kids.
Make a snowman
- empty water bottle or tall plastic container (any size)
- 8 small buttons (we used 5 black buttons for the mouth and 3 for the body)
- 12″ of ribbon to use as a scarf
- orange carrot sticker or orange felt to cut into a triangle nose
- 2 google eyes stickers or eyes and glue to affix
- hat optional
Snowman Crafts for Kids
- about 2 tablespoons dish soap – any kind will do
- food coloring (optional) – it just makes it pop a little more
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- 1-2 tablespoons warm water
Now using a funnel, fill the inside of the snowman bottle with the mixture:
Winter Science Experiments for Preschoolers
So how does this vinegar and baking soda experiment work? Basically the baking soda and the vinegar create an ACID-BASE reaction; the two chemicals work together to create a gas called carbon dioxide. As the gas is created it expands and fills up more space in the snowman bottle propelling the dish soap solution up and out.
How cool is your erupting snowman, right!
Winter science preschool
Is your child begging to try this winter science experiments for toddlers again? No worries. Just rinse out the bottle and you are ready to create more snowman eruptions – over and over again!
HINT: Want a bigger reaction? Try adding more dish soap to make more bubbles, more baking soda and vinegar to make a longer eruption. Want more dramatic? Make sure your bottle has a smaller opening to push the eruption through.
Winter science activities for preschoolers
Looking for more fun winter science projects for kids? We’ve got lots of fun ideas for you to try!
- Super Cool Snow Volcano Science Experiment
- Melting Snowman Winter Science Experiment
- Snowman Eruptions – Simple Winter Science Experiments
- Melting Snowman Slime Recipe
- Easy Exploding Snowman – Winter Science Experiment
- Snowman Measuring Snowfall – Winter STEM Activity
- Erupting Snow Winter Science Experiment
- How to Make Frost in a Can Winter Science Experiment
Snowman Activities for Kids
- S is for Snowman Theme
- Easy Circle Sticker Snowman Craft
- Plastic Cup Snowman Craft
- EASY Glue Snowman Crafts for Preschoolers
- YUM! How to Make Snow Ice Cream with just 2 ingredients!
- 100 Winter Crafts and Activities for Kids
- Making historic SNOW CANDY!
- Squirt Gun Snow Painting
- Snow Dough for Kids
- Amazingly EASY Puffy Snow Paint Recipe
- LOTS of Snowflake Crafts A to Z
- Cute Snow globe Craft for Kids
Looking for snowman worksheets and educational snowman activity ideas? You will love these resources!
- Build-a-Snowman Winter CVC Words Activity
- Snowman Addition Clip Cards
- Snowman Counting Cards
- Free Snowman Worksheet Pack with LOTS of pages
- Winter Counting Worksheets
- Free Winter Writing Prompts PDF
- Multiplication Snowman Activity
- Snowman Printables Winter letter Find
- Snowman Tracing Letters A to Z
- Snowflake Winter Compound Words
- Build a Snowman Sequencing Worksheets
- Snowman Printables Counting Book
- Winter Worksheets for Preschoolers
- Snowman Word Family Spinners
- Snowman Math Craft for practicing addition and subtraction
- Winter Telling Time Worksheets
- Snowflake Dab the Letter
- Snowman Activities for Preschool – Count to 10
- Cute Snowman Shape Puzzles
- Free Snowman Coloring Pages