Texture is one of the basic elements of art. And, your child is going to love learning with this easy textured snow paint! In this texture art activities not only is she going to learn about texture, but she’ll also explore the science of seasons (winter, that is) and famous artists Van Gogh too. This texture art for kids is perfect for toddler, preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, and 2nd grade students this January. This winter art project for kids is perfect for a cold, snowy day!
Textured Snow Paint
It’s cold out. Too cold to play outside. But, your kiddo sees the snow and wants her chance with it. Now what? If you just can’t imagine bundling your child up and taking her out into the freezing temps, try a snowy art activity indoors with this textured snow paint. This texture art projects is so simple it is fun for toddlers, preschoolers, kindergartners, grade 1 and grade 2 students.
Texture art activities
Before beginning this art exploration, talk to your child about what she sees outside. If you don’t live in a cold climate, take a look at a snow-filled picture, a photograph or a video online.
- Ask your child how what she sees is different from other seasons.
- What does the winter have that the spring, summer and fall don’t (snow)?
- What colors are different?
- How do you dress differently?
- Why do you need to dress differently?
- You can also come up with your own open-ended questions (questions that don’t have “yes” or “no” answers) about winter.
- If it’s possible, bring a bucket of snow inside – use a magnifying glass to examine the flakes, touch the snow and watch it melt!
Van Gogh Art Project
You can connect the idea of texture to real works of art. It’s time for some art-viewing! Take a look at a reproduction (in a book, a poster or online) of a highly textured artwork. Van Gogh, Renoir and Monet all have examples of works where you can see the texture. Ask your child how she thinks
an artist can create textures using paint? If she’s not sure, talk about making the paint thicker, layering it on and using shorter brush strokes.
Now it’s your child’s turn to create a textures painting (with a snowflake theme).
Here’s what you’ll need:
- White tempera paint
- Cotton balls
- Blue card stock paper
- Silver, blue or opal glitter
- Optional: Other glitter colors or craft sand
Texture art for kids
Press the paint-covered cotton ball onto the blue paper (it’s the winter sky!) over and over again.
Snow texture paint
Your child can make one big snowflake or several smaller ones. She’ll need to dip the cotton ball into the paint several times.
If the ball starts to fall apart, give her a new one.
Snow art preschool
Sprinkle the glitter on top. This gives the paint print even more texture.
Texture painting for kids
Optional: Add a rainbow of glitter or mix craft sand in with more paint and layer it on top (this creates a deeper texture).
Famous Artist Projects for Kids
We have LOTS of other fun famous Artists for kids projects you won’t want to miss!
Famous artists for kids
- Free Famous Artists Worksheets
- Giotto for kids Medieval art project with homemade egg chalk paint
- Kadinsky for kids leaf project
- Paul Klee for Kids felt square project
- Matisse for Kids valentines art project or this Matisse craft collage
- Piet Mondrian for Kids primary boxes project
- Monet for Kids tissue paper project or this monet painting style idea
- Picasso for Kids portrait project or this felt art picasso craft
- Pollock – Simple and fun Jackson Pollock for Kids art project
- Seurat for kids melted crayon art project
- VanGogh Starry Night Art Project with tin foil, van gogh sunflower for kids construction paper craft, or playdough starry night art project
- Warhol for kids father’s day art project
- Impressionism art easy or pointillism art for kids
- See all of our famous artists for kids art projects and TONS more arts and crafts for kids
- Easy Circle Sticker Snowman Craft, Glue Snowman Craft, Adorable Keepsake Snowman Handprint Ornament
- Amazingly EASY Puffy Snow Paint Recipe, DIY Snow globes for Kids, Construction Paper Snowman Wreath Craft
- Suncatcher Snowman Craft for Preschoolers, Colorful Chromatography Snowflake Craft for Kids
- Winter Snow Slime Recipe, EASY Snow Clay for Christmas Ornament Crafts,
- Snowman Launcher Winter Activities for Preschoolers, YUM! 2 ingredient Snow Ice Cream
- Chilly Snow Dough Antarctica Activities for preschoolers, 30+ January Activities for Kids
- Snowman Handmade Greeting Cards, Super Cool Snow Volcano Science, winter Melting Snowman Experiment
- Eruptions Snowman Science Experiment, easy Exploding Snowman, erupting snow Winter Science Experiment
- How to Make Frost in a can- Winter Science Experiment
- Snowman Word Family Spinners or Build-a-Snowman Winter CVC Words Activity
- Snowman Math Craft for practicing addition and subtraction or Winter Telling Time Worksheets
- Snowflake Dab the Letter or Snowman Tracing Letters A to Z
- Snowman Activities for Preschool – Count to 10 and Cute Snowman Shape Puzzles
- Free Snowman Coloring Pages or Snowman Addition Clip Cards or Snowman Printables Counting, Snowman final sounds in words, and winter nature journal printable
- Snowman Counting Cards or Winter Counting Worksheets
- Free Snowman Worksheet Pack with LOTS of pages or Winter Worksheets for Preschoolers
- Free Winter Writing Prompts PDF or Multiplication Snowman Activity
- Snowman Printables Winter letter Find or winter coin recognition activity
- Snowflake Winter Compound Words or Build a Snowman Sequencing Worksheets
- Penguin Worksheets Counting 1-10 or counting to 20 penguin math