Texture is one of the basic elements of art. And, your child is going to love learning with this easy textured snow paint! In this texture art activities not only is she going to learn about texture, but she’ll also explore the science of seasons (winter, that is) and famous artists Van Gogh too. This texture art for kids is perfect for toddler, preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, and 2nd grade students this January. This winter art project for kids is perfect for a cold, snowy day!
Textured Snow Paint
It’s cold out. Too cold to play outside. But, your kiddo sees the snow and wants her chance with it. Now what? If you just can’t imagine bundling your child up and taking her out into the freezing temps, try a snowy art activity indoors with this textured snow paint. This texture art projects is so simple it is fun for toddlers, preschoolers, kindergartners, grade 1 and grade 2 students.
Texture art activities
Before beginning this art exploration, talk to your child about what she sees outside. If you don’t live in a cold climate, take a look at a snow-filled picture, a photograph or a video online.
- Ask your child how what she sees is different from other seasons.
- What does the winter have that the spring, summer and fall don’t (snow)?
- What colors are different?
- How do you dress differently?
- Why do you need to dress differently?
- You can also come up with your own open-ended questions (questions that don’t have “yes” or “no” answers) about winter.
- If it’s possible, bring a bucket of snow inside – use a magnifying glass to examine the flakes, touch the snow and watch it melt!
Van Gogh Art Project
You can connect the idea of texture to real works of art. It’s time for some art-viewing! Take a look at a reproduction (in a book, a poster or online) of a highly textured artwork. Van Gogh, Renoir and Monet all have examples of works where you can see the texture. Ask your child how she thinks
an artist can create textures using paint? If she’s not sure, talk about making the paint thicker, layering it on and using shorter brush strokes.
Now it’s your child’s turn to create a textures painting (with a snowflake theme).
Here’s what you’ll need:
- White tempera paint
- Cotton balls
- Blue card stock paper
- Silver, blue or opal glitter
- Optional: Other glitter colors or craft sand
Texture art for kids
Press the paint-covered cotton ball onto the blue paper (it’s the winter sky!) over and over again.
Snow texture paint
Your child can make one big snowflake or several smaller ones. She’ll need to dip the cotton ball into the paint several times.
If the ball starts to fall apart, give her a new one.
Snow art preschool
Sprinkle the glitter on top. This gives the paint print even more texture.
Texture painting for kids
Optional: Add a rainbow of glitter or mix craft sand in with more paint and layer it on top (this creates a deeper texture).
Famous Artist Projects for Kids
We have LOTS of other fun famous Artists for kids projects you won’t want to miss!
- Kadinsky Inspired Fall Leaf Project
- Matisse Collage Art Project for Kids
- Seurat Style 4 Season Pointilism Project
- Paul Klee Kids Art
- Math Mosaic Art
- Matisse Valentine’s Day Art Project
- Hidden Mickey Inspired Pointilism Melted Crayon Art
- Van Gogh Starry Night Project
Winter science activities for preschoolers
Looking for more fun winter science projects for kids? We’ve got lots of fun ideas for you to try!
- Super Cool Snow Volcano Science Experiment
- Melting Snowman Winter Science Experiment
- Snowman Eruptions – Simple Winter Science Experiments
- Melting Snowman Slime Recipe
- Easy Exploding Snowman – Winter Science Experiment
- Snowman Measuring Snowfall – Winter STEM Activity
- Erupting Snow Winter Science Experiment
- How to Make Frost in a Can Winter Science Experiment
Snowman Activities for Kids
- S is for Snowman Theme
- Easy Circle Sticker Snowman Craft
- Plastic Cup Snowman Craft
- EASY Glue Snowman Crafts for Preschoolers
- YUM! How to Make Snow Ice Cream with just 2 ingredients!
- 100 Winter Crafts and Activities for Kids
- Making historic SNOW CANDY!
- Squirt Gun Snow Painting
- Snow Dough for Kids
- Amazingly EASY Puffy Snow Paint Recipe
- LOTS of Snowflake Crafts A to Z
- Cute Snow globe Craft for Kids
Looking for snowman worksheets and educational snowman activity ideas? You will love these resources!
- Build-a-Snowman Winter CVC Words Activity
- Snowman Addition Clip Cards
- Snowman Counting Cards
- Free Snowman Worksheet Pack with LOTS of pages
- Winter Counting Worksheets
- Free Winter Writing Prompts PDF
- Multiplication Snowman Activity
- Snowman Printables Winter letter Find
- Snowman Tracing Letters A to Z
- Snowflake Winter Compound Words
- Build a Snowman Sequencing Worksheets
- Snowman Printables Counting Book
- Winter Worksheets for Preschoolers
- Snowman Word Family Spinners
- Snowman Math Craft for practicing addition and subtraction
- Winter Telling Time Worksheets
- Snowflake Dab the Letter
- Snowman Activities for Preschool – Count to 10
- Cute Snowman Shape Puzzles
- Free Snowman Coloring Pages
Leave a Reply