Van Gogh for kids
The Starry Night is one of Vincent Van Gogh’s most famous works. The rolling waves of night-blue sky, the texture, the stars! It’s the perfect piece to teach your child about the artist, while exploring through the senses and even learning about outer space. If your preschoolers, kindergartners, grade 1, grade 2, grade 3, grade 4, and grade 5 students are learning about Van Gogh for kids, or you are just explosing them to some fun art project for kids – you will love this starry night art project. In this Art projects based on famous artists kids will use clay to craete texture so it is a finger paint process, but without the mess. In addition, your child will be building fine motor skills and exploring through the sense of touch.
Starry Night Art Project
Before starting with the art, take some time to look at the real Starry Night. Okay, maybe not the real thing. But, at least a reproduction (you can find plenty of copies in art history books or online). Ask your child a few open-ended questions to get her thinking, such as:
As your child begins to talk about the painting, point out the stars as a springboard to talking about outer space. Name a few stars or constellations, having your child create her own celestial objects in her own work of art.
Art projects based on famous artists
Van Gogh Art Project
- Cut the cardboard into a square or rectangle. This will become the base that your child builds the artwork on.
- Pull the clay apart into dime-sized pieces.
- Draw a town at the bottom of the cardboard with the markers or oil pastels. Your child can make the town look like Van Gogh’s village, re-create your own hometown or make her own magical imaginary place. Use this as a chance to sneak in some math – having your child create geometric shapes for the houses and buildings.
Starry night for kids
‘Finger Paint’ a starry night sky onto the cardboard, above the town. Encourage your child to layer the clay on top of the cardboard and on top of other colors. It will stick as she smears it onto the board. She can use her fingers to make swirls, curves and textures in the clay.
Van gogh paintings for kids
Create a tree for the foreground (use this vocabulary word with your child, describing the front of the painting). Cut the tree from the dark construction paper. Glue it onto the board. It will overlap the clay and the town drawing partially.
Now your child can create her own Starry Night tale. Ask her to tell you a story about the town or about the stars in the sky!
Grab our artist report to help kids write down what they learn about famous arists and add a picture of their art project to make a fun keepsake of their homeschool art appreciation class.
Famous artists for kids
Ready to learn about more famous artists with children? Check out these projects:
- Monet for kids project exploring impressionist artwork making a lovely water lily with tissue paper
- Or whip up this paint for a unique Claude Monet for Kids activity
- Seurat Melted Crayon Art Project – Pointillism for Kids
- Another fun way to explore Pointillism art for kids is with this simple q-tip and paint project
- Discover the paper cut technique with this Matisse for Kids project
- Make your own Van Gogh for Kids stary night project with playdough with this fun project
- 25 Fun Art Projects Based on Famous Artists
- Picasso for Kids art that explores his unique modern art style creating a one-of-a-kind portrait
- Or try this felt project to learn about Pablo Picasso for kids
- Jackson pollock for kids explores the fun, zany modern drip art technique in an outrageously fun art project for kids
- Easy Pointillism Project creating 4 Seasons Handart Project
- Learn about Medieval Art with this Giotto for Kids project
- This stunning project allows kids to explore famous artist Matisse for Kids
- Try your hand at Impressionism for Kids with this lovely bleeding tissue paper idea
- Explore the colorful boxes in this Paul Klee for Kids art project
- Make a lovely fall art project as you explore Kadinsky for Kids
- Explore Aztec Art for kids with this fun clay project
- Plus don’t miss our FREE Printable artist report to help kids remember what they’ve learned and keep a keepsake of all the fun projects you’ve made together!
- See all of our famous artists for kids art projects!
Crafts Ideas for Kids
- Paper Roll Bunny Craft
- 100 Amazing Zoo Animal Crafts
- These tin foil art projects are fun-to-make and so pretty!
- Folded Paper Elephant Craft Bookmark
- Painted Flower Craft Preschool
- Creative Pipe Cleaner Crafts kids will want to make
- Stunning Tissue Paper Rainbow Craft
- Bubble Wrap Painting Rain Craft
- Outrageously Cute Googly Eye Crafts
- Tissue Paper Butterfly Suncatcher Craft
- Star Wars Crafts that are from a galaxy far, far away
- Super cute Thing 1 and Thing 2 Craft
- Must-try Popsicle Stick Crafts
- Over 100 Fun Spring Crafts for Kids
- Super fun Spin Art Flower Craft for Kids
- This Monet art project for kids is a fun way to introduce famous artists for kids with a stunning project!
- Lovely Coffee Filter Crafts for kids
- Check out these toilet paper roll crafts
- Try these paper plate crafts for all occasions
- Clever Fall Crafts for Kids
- Silly Monster Crafts for kids of all ages
- Cute Handprint Alphabet Crafts from A to Z
- Letter Crafts sorted A-Z
- Learn your letters with these free printable alphabet crafts
Looking for more fun, creative ways you can begin your free homeschool? We have over 1,000,000 pages of FREE Printable Worksheets including resources for: pre k worksheets, kindergarten worksheets, 1st grade worksheets, 2nd grade worksheets, 3rd grade worksheets, 4th grade worksheets, 5th grade worksheets, 6th grade worksheets, and more. Plus see our history lessons for kids, printable math games, language arts worksheets, sight word worksheets, free alphabet printables, and cvc word activities for kids of all ages!