Famous artist activities for kids can go well beyond just painting. Your little artist can use paper to make a colorful collage, ala Henri Matisse!
Matisse Collage Craft for Kids
Matisse, like many artists, told stories through his art. Even at age 81 (while he was confined to his bed), he created his paper cut-out The Thousand and One Nights. In telling the classic tale Arabian Nights through his art, Matisse used pictures instead of words. Your child can do the same – just, with her own story.
board) make an oversized artwork – like Matisse did with The Thousand and One Nights.
Matisse Art for Kids
Now, it’s time to start the art-making! You’ll Need:
- Card stock paper in different colors
- Clear-drying school glue
Cut out shapes. These can include geometric shapes (such as circles, triangles and squares) or your child can create free-formed organic shapes (squiggles and cloud-like or amoeba-like shapes). As she cuts out the shapes, have her compare the cut-out with what it was cut from. Putting the two
pieces side-by-side helps your child to better understand the concept of positive and negative space. The cut-out is the positive part, while the empty area left behind (where it was cut from) is the negative space. Use both pieces in the collage.
Pick out which pieces can help to tell the story.
Hang up the artwork. Encourage your child to tell her story, pointing out the different elements in her collage!
Grab our artist report to help kids write down what they learn about famous arists and add a picture of their art project to make a fun keepsake of their homeschool art appreciation class.
Famous artists for kids
Ready to learn about more famous artists with children? Check out these projects:
- Monet for kids project exploring impressionist artwork making a lovely water lily with tissue paper
- Or whip up this paint for a unique Claude Monet for Kids activity
- Seurat Melted Crayon Art Project – Pointillism for Kids
- Another fun way to explore Pointillism art for kids is with this simple q-tip and paint project
- Discover the paper cut technique with this Matisse for Kids project
- Make your own Van Gogh for Kids stary night project with playdough with this fun project
- 25 Fun Art Projects Based on Famous Artists
- Picasso for Kids art that explores his unique modern art style creating a one-of-a-kind portrait
- Or try this felt project to learn about Pablo Picasso for kids
- Jackson pollock for kids explores the fun, zany modern drip art technique in an outrageously fun art project for kids
- Easy Pointillism Project creating 4 Seasons Handart Project
- Learn about Medieval Art with this Giotto for Kids project
- This stunning project allows kids to explore famous artist Matisse for Kids
- Try your hand at Impressionism for Kids with this lovely bleeding tissue paper idea
- Explore the colorful boxes in this Paul Klee for Kids art project
- Make a lovely fall art project as you explore Kadinsky for Kids
- Explore Aztec Art for kids with this fun clay project
- Plus don’t miss our FREE Printable artist report to help kids remember what they’ve learned and keep a keepsake of all the fun projects you’ve made together!
- See all of our famous artists for kids art projects!