Children will love this zany picasso for kids project where they will learn about this spanish painter known for cubism and modernism. This picasso art project is a fun way to intorduce preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, 2nd grade, 3rd grdae, and 4th grade students to this famous artist for kids! THis easy picasso portraits for kids is a picasso art project kids will always remember! SO grab some paint, paper, glue, and scissors to make this fun picasso kids art.
Picasso for Kids
Growing up in Europe, my Dad took us to all the great art museums. And although I wish I could say I always appreciated it, I can say that I learned to appreciate art. Not all art mind you, there is still some modern art that I look at & say – my 1 year old could do better. So when we decided to homeschool, I wanted to make sure to teach my kids to appreciate art from a young age. Learning to appreciate a variety of art is like teaching a child to appreciate that we are all unique and special. This picassor for kids lesson helps kids learn about famous artists Picasso with a really unique and silly picasso portrait art project for kids! This picasso art for kids is fun for toddlers, preschoolers, kindergartners, grade 1, grade 2, grade 3, and grade 4 students.
Picasso for children
I introduced my kids to Pablo Picasso (from Spain) and his artwork. Goofy (6 ) was ready for the wonderful series Getting to know the World’s Greatest Artists: Picasso. (There are some of them available in video form that are a lot of fun. They present the information, actual artwork, and silly cartoons alongside – educational & fun!). Minnie (3 ) enjoyed Painting with Picasso, and Museum ABC. They both enjoyed When Pigasso met Mootisee – a fun story about two famous artists Picasso & Matisse who were in face in real life friends as the story suggests.
The kids colored in some of Picasso’s works of art from the Modern Art Masterpiece coloring book. Such a clever thing! It is a great way to very gently introduce kids to a variety of famous art.
Picasso for Kindergarten
Picasso went through a time after his friend died when his artwork was not appreciated and he was going hungry. All this was reflected in his paintings and he went through a “blue period” where he painted in shades of blue & mostly sad topics. We made our own “blue” picture.
Picasso art for kids
Picasso painted things in new & interesting ways. He was not worried about making things look exactly like they are “suppose” to, but he was able to emote a lot of feelings in his artwork. To make our own unique Picasso (idea from Discovering the World’s Great Artists) we painted a picture of Goofy. Then we cut it up & put it back together in a more creative way.
We use this wonderful program called Child-size Masterpieces to play a memory-type game with famous artwork. The program uses museum quality postcards of famous artwork. The kids match them up first with the exact same picture, then by artists, and eventually by genre. There are I believe 6 books and each adds to the complexity. By the time the kids finish they will be familiar not only with a variety of artwork, artists, and styles, but will be able to match artists to their artwork.
Picasso art project
Finally, there is a really neat puzzle of Guernica I include below in the Picasso Resources. My kids are a little young for a 1000 pieces puzzle, but when they get a little older we will be doing it too! If you’ve never seen Guernica or read about it – you should. I was very disappointed as a young person seeing Mona Lisa for the first time – don’t get me wrong the painting is beautiful, but it was… well… so small! Guernica does not disappoint, it is a HUGE – 12 x 15 feet!! I have gotten to see it on at least two occasions and find it to be very moving. I wont get into the whole back story here…but if you like art or WW2 at all, you should look it up.
Do you have a favorite art resource? I’d love to see it! Leave me a note in the comments section. And as always, I love comments!!
Famous artists for kids
Ready to learn about more famous artists with children? Check out these projects:
- Monet for kids project exploring impressionist artwork making a lovely water lily with tissue paper
- Or whip up this paint for a unique Claude Monet for Kids activity
- Seurat Melted Crayon Art Project – Pointillism for Kids
- Another fun way to explore Pointillism art for kids is with this simple q-tip and paint project
- Discover the paper cut technique with this Matisse for Kids project
- Make your own Van Gogh for Kids stary night project with playdough with this fun project
- 25 Fun Art Projects Based on Famous Artists
- Picasso for Kids art that explores his unique modern art style creating a one-of-a-kind portrait
- Or try this felt project to learn about Pablo Picasso for kids
- Jackson pollock for kids explores the fun, zany modern drip art technique in an outrageously fun art project for kids
- Easy Pointillism Project creating 4 Seasons Handart Project
- Learn about Medieval Art with this Giotto for Kids project
- This stunning project allows kids to explore famous artist Matisse for Kids
- Try your hand at Impressionism for Kids with this lovely bleeding tissue paper idea
- Explore the colorful boxes in this Paul Klee for Kids art project
- Make a lovely fall art project as you explore Kadinsky for Kids
- Explore Aztec Art for kids with this fun clay project
- Plus don’t miss our FREE Printable artist report to help kids remember what they’ve learned and keep a keepsake of all the fun projects you’ve made together!
- See all of our famous artists for kids art projects!
Crafts Ideas for Kids
- Paper Roll Bunny Craft
- 100 Amazing Zoo Animal Crafts
- These tin foil art projects are fun-to-make and so pretty!
- Folded Paper Elephant Craft Bookmark
- Painted Flower Craft Preschool
- Creative Pipe Cleaner Crafts kids will want to make
- Stunning Tissue Paper Rainbow Craft
- Bubble Wrap Painting Rain Craft
- Outrageously Cute Googly Eye Crafts
- Tissue Paper Butterfly Suncatcher Craft
- Star Wars Crafts that are from a galaxy far, far away
- Super cute Thing 1 and Thing 2 Craft
- Must-try Popsicle Stick Crafts
- Over 100 Fun Spring Crafts for Kids
- Super fun Spin Art Flower Craft for Kids
- This Monet art project for kids is a fun way to introduce famous artists for kids with a stunning project!
- Lovely Coffee Filter Crafts for kids
- Check out these toilet paper roll crafts
- Try these paper plate crafts for all occasions
- 40 Creative Paper Cup Crafts and Activities Ideas to Try Today
- Clever Fall Crafts for Kids
- Silly Monster Crafts for kids of all ages
- Cute Handprint Alphabet Crafts from A to Z
- Letter Crafts sorted A-Z
- Learn your letters with these free printable alphabet crafts
Looking for more fun, creative ways you can begin your free homeschool? We have over 1,000,000 pages of FREE Printable Worksheets including resources for: pre k worksheets, kindergarten worksheets, 1st grade worksheets, 2nd grade worksheets, 3rd grade worksheets, 4th grade worksheets, 5th grade worksheets, 6th grade worksheets, and more. Plus see our history lessons for kids, hands-on countries for kids, printable math games, language arts worksheets, sight word worksheets, free alphabet printables, and cvc word activities for kids of all ages! And our hugely popular Pipe Cleaner constellation activities
Looking for more great content? We have over 1 million educational worksheets conveniently arranged by subject or grade: super cute Pre k Worksheets, fun kindergarten worksheets, free 1st grade worksheets, handy 2nd grade worksheets, printable 3rd grade worksheets, and 4th grade worksheets
- Help kids learn their ABCs and work on letter recognition with these super cute A to Z Worksheet pages
- Over 2000 pages of free alphabet printables to find exactly what you are looking for!
- Huge pack of solar system worksheets
- Free Printable Alphabet Worksheets
- Simple machines for kids projects, lesson plans, printables, and more!
- FREE Maps for kids including printable world map for kids, continent maps, and country maps too
- Handy Sight Words Printable list plus lots of sight word games, activities, and worksheets too!
- Learn about other countries around the world with our free country coloring pages
- We also have reading list like this 1st grade reading books pdf to help you pick engaging books for kids!
- Pipe Cleaner constellation activities
- Free Printable Brain Breaks for Kids