Today we are sharing a great painting idea to try with the kids this! This Watercolor and Crayon Ocean Scene is a and easy painting craft that uses simple supplies with little prep. Kids can draw an under the sea scene and then paint over it to create a beautiful ocean painting for kids! This watercolor over crayon project is perfect for toddler, preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, and first graders too.
Watercolor Over Crayon
You will love this simple wtercolor over crayon technique we used to make this ocean painting for kids. It does not require any fancy materials and is quick and easy. Plus this ocean craft combines two of kids favorite art supplies – crayons and watercolor paint! You will love how forgiving this project is, allowing it to be a great under the sea project for toddlers, prestchoolers, kindergartners, and grade 1 students too. Add this to an O is for ocean alphabet week, ocean theme, or similar.
Ocean Craft for Kids
All you need are a few simple materials to make this ocean scene.
- white paper
- crayons or oil pastels
- blue watercolor paint
First, draw ocean life using oil pastels or crayons. You may want to draw fish, coral, crustaceans, ocean plants, ocean mammals like whales, or anything else you may see in the ocean! Use your imagination, or get ideas from ocean books.
It’s fun to fill the page and make it bright and colorful. The brighter it is, the better it turns out once the paint is on the page. It also helps to make sure to completely fill in the shapes with crayon.
Ocean painting for kids
After you are finished drawing your ocean scene, it’s time to paint with watercolor! Use blue watercolor paint and paint it all over the page, being sure to go over the drawings too. Using “watery” watercolor works best, so you make need to add a bit more water.
Continue painting all around the page until it is covered with blue.
You may want to get creative and add some green or purple watercolor for more interest in the water.
Now it’s time to let the painting dry. If you would like to to dry flat, you may want to put some weights on the corner, or a book on top of the painting while it dries. Just be sure that what you use for a book/weight is something you don’t mind getting paint on.
After the painting is dry, your watercolor and crayon ocean scene is complete. It’s such a pretty art activity that’s simple to do and goes great with the season!
Ocean Activities for Kids
Looking for more ocean activities for kids? You will love these clever, free resources and ideas:
- Ocean Color by Number Printable
- 50 Amazing Ocean Crafts for Kids
- Build an Ocean Scene with this fun Fractions Activity
- Simple Under the Sea Coloring Pages
- Pearl Color Matching Ganes
- Try this Watercolor and Crayon Ocean Craft
- Breeding Guppies – an outrageously FUN Fish Science Experiments
- Read and Dab Kindergarten Sight Word Worksheets pdf
- Ocean Animal Counting and Trace Do a Dot Printables
- Alphabet Go Fish Game
- Color Matching Octopus Activity for kids
- Cute Hands & Feet Lobster Craft
- Shell Letter Matching Ocean Activities for Preschoolers
- Sharks for Kids Reader
- Sea Turtles for Kids Reader
- Free Printable Whale Writing Prompts
- All About Fish Printable Reader
- Ocean Counting Clip Cards
- Cupcake Liner Octopus Craft
- O is for Ocean Weekly Theme for Prek / K
- Tons of ideas for a weeks worth of fun learning with an Ocean Theme
- Cute One Fish Two Fish Pdf
- Ocean Printable Multiplication Game
- Fun to play with Ocean Slime
- FREE Ocean Coloring Pages
- Cut and Paste Fish Craft
- Printable Crab Contraction Ocean Activity for Kids
- Kid favorite Goldfish Printable Counting Activity
- Goldfish Subtraction Games for Kindergarten
- Sand Volcano – EASY Summer Science Experiment for Kids
- Disolving Seashell Activities – a Summer Science Experiment
- Super Simple Sand Slime
- Crack the Code Worksheets with ocean themed pages
- Under the Sea Lego Challenge Printables
- 50+ pages of Ocean Worksheets for practicing math and litearcy with pre-k, kindergarten, and first graders
- Sandcastle Subtraction Craft
- Fun Sandcastle Letter Matching – Summer Activities for Kindergarten
- Hands-on Sandcastle Colour Matching Activities
- Sandcastle Letter tracing Summer Activity for Preschoolers
- Count and Trace Numbers 1-10 Sandcastle Summer Activities for Preschoolers
- Sandcastle Number Playdough Mats to count and trace
- Summer STEAM – Sandcastle engineering with tp rolls
- Ice Cream Sandcastle Summer Snack Idea
- Sand Bucket & Shovel Letter Matching – Summer Activities for Kindergarten
- Beach Summer Experiment with a Density Tower
- Free Beach Worksheets for Preschoolers, kindergartners, and grade 1
Don’t miss the other animal studies we’ve created!
- Discover All About Whales Worksheets pdf
- All About Pinnipeds – seals, sea lions, walrus life cycle, and more
- Learn About Herps – sea turtle worksheets, sea snakes, aquatic frogs, toads, salamander, and more!
- All About Fish, Sharks, and Rays
- Get to know Mollusks, Cephalopods, & Crustaceans for Kids (crabs, lobsters, octopus, bivalves, clams)
- All About Echinoderms and Cnidarians (Jellyfish, Sea Stars, Sand Dollars, Coral)
- Huge Ocean Animals for Kids Unit (250+ pages)