Today we are sharing a great craft to do with the kids this Summer! This Watercolor and Crayon Ocean Scene is a and easy craft that uses simple supplies with little prep. Kids can draw an ocean scene and then paint as they please to make a super cute ocean scene!
More Ocean Posts You’ll Love
Watercolor Over Crayon
- white paper
- crayons or oil pastels
- blue watercolor paint
First, draw ocean life using oil pastels or crayons. You may want to draw fish, coral, crustaceans, ocean plants, ocean mammals like whales, or anything else you may see in the ocean! Use your imagination, or get ideas from ocean books.
It’s fun to fill the page and make it bright and colorful. The brighter it is, the better it turns out once the paint is on the page. It also helps to make sure to completely fill in the shapes with crayon.
After you are finished drawing your ocean scene, it’s time to paint with watercolor! Use blue watercolor paint and paint it all over the page, being sure to go over the drawings too. Using “watery” watercolor works best, so you make need to add a bit more water.
Continue painting all around the page until it is covered with blue.
You may want to get creative and add some green or purple watercolor for more interest in the water.
Now it’s time to let the painting dry. If you would like to to dry flat, you may want to put some weights on the corner, or a book on top of the painting while it dries. Just be sure that what you use for a book/weight is something you don’t mind getting paint on.
After the painting is dry, your watercolor and crayon ocean scene is complete. It’s such a pretty art activity that’s simple to do and goes great with the season!
Want to learn more about this amazing animal? Check out this huge resource for kids prek-8th grade to learn All About Whales.
Ocean Activities for Kids
Looking for more ocean activities for kids? You will love these clever, free resources and ideas:
- Ocean Color by Number Worksheets
- Build an Ocean Scene with this fun Fractions Activity
- Ocean Simple Coloring Pages
- Pearl Color Matching activity
- Printable Whale Cards
- Try this Watercolor and Crayon Ocean Craft
- Ocean Printable Count & Trace for prek / k
- Cupcake Liner Octopus Craft
- Ocean Life Sensory Bin
- O is for Ocean Weekly Theme for Prek / K
- Ocean Animals Printable Pack
- All About Pinnipeds (Seals, Sea Lions, & Walrus)
- Tons of ideas for a weeks worth of fun learning with an Ocean Theme
- Octopus Color Matching Craft
- 50 Amazing Ocean Crafts for Kids