This outrageously FUN Exploding Snowman is a fun winter science experiment for kids of all ages from toddler, preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, and 2nd grade students. This STEM experiment is super simple to try using common materials you already have in your kitchen! Use this as a snowman activity to teach kids a little chemistry with this baking soda and vinegar experiment.
Kids will go nuts over this easy winter science activities for preschoolers, kindergartner, toddlers, and grade 1 students that they will want to try over and over and over again! To make the snowman explode children will use a couple simple kitchen supplies to create a baking soda and vinegar science experiment. Get ready for giggles of excitement as the snowman gets bigger and bigger before it POPS! Use this as a snowman activity for kids during the cold months of December, January, and February!
Winter Science Experiment
To complete winter science experiments all you need are these simple supplies you already have in your kitchen.
- Sandwich size ziplock bag (or larger if you want to double it for double the fun!) – the slide ones are quick and easy or little fingers!
- blue food coloring (optional)
- baking soda
- paper towel
- black sharpie
- nose out of orange construction paper, orange felt, or orange sharpie
Winter Activity for Kids
Baking Soda and Vinegar Experiment
So how does this simple chemistry experiment for kids work? As baking soda, or sodium bicarbonate, mixes with vinegar, carbon dioxide is created. The bag starts to fill with carbon dioxide (and that’s why you see the bag start to swell up) until the pressure is too much and … BOOM!
- before you try this easy preschool science experiment ask them to guess what will happen (called a hypothesis)
- Try with different size bags
- Or have children mix up the amount of vinegar or baking soda and see what happens
Winter science activities for preschoolers
Looking for more fun winter science projects for kids? We’ve got lots of fun ideas for you to try!
- Super Cool Snow Volcano Science Experiment
- Melting Snowman Winter Science Experiment
- Snowman Eruptions – Simple Winter Science Experiments
- Melting Snowman Slime Recipe
- Easy Exploding Snowman – Winter Science Experiment
- Snowman Measuring Snowfall – Winter STEM Activity
- Erupting Snow Winter Science Experiment
- How to Make Frost in a Can Winter Science Experiment
Snowman Activities for Kids
- S is for Snowman Theme
- Easy Circle Sticker Snowman Craft
- Plastic Cup Snowman Craft
- EASY Glue Snowman Crafts for Preschoolers
- YUM! How to Make Snow Ice Cream with just 2 ingredients!
- 100 Winter Crafts and Activities for Kids
- Making historic SNOW CANDY!
- Squirt Gun Snow Painting
- Snow Dough for Kids
- Amazingly EASY Puffy Snow Paint Recipe
- LOTS of Snowflake Crafts A to Z
- Cute Snow globe Craft for Kids
Looking for snowman worksheets and educational snowman activity ideas? You will love these resources!
- Build-a-Snowman Winter CVC Words Activity
- Snowman Addition Clip Cards
- Snowman Counting Cards
- Free Snowman Worksheet Pack with LOTS of pages
- Winter Counting Worksheets
- Free Winter Writing Prompts PDF
- Multiplication Snowman Activity
- Snowman Printables Winter letter Find
- Snowman Tracing Letters A to Z
- Snowflake Winter Compound Words
- Build a Snowman Sequencing Worksheets
- Snowman Printables Counting Book
- Winter Worksheets for Preschoolers
- Snowman Word Family Spinners
- Snowman Math Craft for practicing addition and subtraction
- Winter Telling Time Worksheets
- Snowflake Dab the Letter
- Snowman Activities for Preschool – Count to 10
- Cute Snowman Shape Puzzles
- Free Snowman Coloring Pages