If you are looking for a winter activity for kindergarten to help your child work on matching beginning sounds, you will love this cute, free printable mitten matching game. This winter theme reading readiness activity for preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, and first grade students works on phonemic awareness, initial sounds, and letter recognition. This low-prep activity is better than a beginning sounds worksheet as it is a fun, hands-on beginning sound activities that can be repeated over and over again!
Mitten Matching Game
Help kids practice identifying the sounds letters make in words with this super cute, free printable Mitten Matching Game. As preschoolers, kindergartners, and grade 1 students listen for the initial sound in words, they will match it with the mitten featuring the alphabet letter that makes the same phonetic sound. This beginning sounds activities is perfect for parents, teacher, and homeschoolers to make learning fun during December, January and February. Use this winter activity for kindergartners as extra practice, winter literacy center in your classroom, or supplement to your homeschool phonics curriculum.
Beginning Sounds Games
Winter activity for kindergarten
Print out each of the pages in this pack on cardstock. I suggest laminating them for durability. Then, cut the cards apart. I prefer to use a paper cutter. It makes it so much quicker and easier to cut.
In the end, you will end up with fifty-two mitten cards.
If you’d like, you can cut the mittens out instead of just cutting on the black lines. However, that will make prepping this activity take a bit longer.
Winter literacy activities for preschoolers
This activity is designed to help your young learners focus on beginning sounds and letter recognition. Each mitten features a letter or an image. There is an image for each letter of the alphabet. There are two images for each vowel – one long and one short.
Separate the image cards from the letter cards. Have your preschooler name each image paying close attention to the beginning sound.
Once they’ve identified the beginning sound, can they find the letter that represents that sound?
To make this activity self-correcting, place small stickers on the back of each pair of mittens. Then, your child can turn the cards over to see if they have correctly matched the image and the letter.
Prefer a no-prep worksheet to work on your letters? Try these free printable alphabet worksheets
FREE Winter Printables
Looking for more fun and FREE winter printables to make learning fun this January? Check out these resources:
- This is such a cute Winter Syllable Activty for Kids
- Looking for more rhyming activities? Kids will have fun practicing with these Hot Chocolate and Marshmallow Rhyming Puzzles.
- This winter, your young learners can work on rhyming words with this set of winter rhymes for preschoolers.
- One of our most popular winter printable – Trace & Erase: Snowman Letter Practice
- Work on letter recognition with these clever Snow Globe Letter FInd Worksheets
- Kids can spend some time this winter focusing on the things they’re thankful for with this winter gratitude journal for kids.
- Work on early reading skills with these Snowman Word Family Spinners
- Kids will have fun practicing a variety of math and literacy skills with these Free Snowman Worksheets
- Young learners will practice ordering events with this set of The Mitten story sequence activities.
- Adorable Snowman Counting Book to help kids practice counting from 1-10
- Practice counting to 100 with these Winter Hudnreds Chart Coloring Pages revealing winter scenes as they color by number.
- Kids will hardly realize they are practicing math while they make these Snowman Math Crafts
- Plus don’t miss this fun printable lesson where you will learn All About Fish, Sharks facts for Kids, and amazing rays!
- Free ABC Letter Find Printable
- Printable Alphabet Craft – Just print the pages, color, cut, and paste to work on fine motor skills and letter awareness.
- A to Z Printable Alphabet Hats – learn vocabulary, introduce beginning sounds, and more
- Free ABC Letter Find Printable
- Alphabet Mini Book Printable – low prep, fold and go alphabet book for each letter
- A to Z Letter Find – each alphabet letter has a different theme with recognition letter
- ABC Coloring Pages are shaped like the letter for extra fun! Put them together to make acute letter book.
- Lowercase Letters Cards can be used with playdough or dry erase markers. Plus they are great for learning new vocabulary of fruit and vegetables from A to Z
- Simple Alphabet Playdough Mats or Interactive Alphabet Playdough Mats– strengthen fine motor skills while forming letters out of play doh
- Alphabet Do a Dot Printable – make upper and lowercase letters with bingo dauber
- Popsicle Stick Alphabet Mats
- Duplo Alphabet Mats
- Alphabet Worksheets to practice a variety of skills!
First Grade Printables
If you have a 1st grader and you are looking for more fun, hands on grade 1 worksheets, games and activities to make learning fun – you will love these resources!
- Over 5000+ pages of 1st grade Worksheets
- 100 Books 1st Graders can Read Themselves with free 1st grade reading books pdf
- Lots of fun Chapter Books for 1st Graders wth free printable list
- Free Book Report Template to print and use with any book
- Free Cut and Paste Worksheets make learning FUN!
- Solar System Worksheets Pack
- Free Sight Words Printable List
- 1st Grade Word Search Printable
- Free Printable 1st grade math worksheets to print and practice
- Gumball Math Worksheets to practice addition & subtraction
- EPIC, Life-size Human Body Project with free printable template
- 1st Grade Reading Games – Reading the Easy Way 1st Grade
- Fun, hands-on Counting Coins Games
- Over 500 pages of FREE Kindergarten Writing Prompts
- Cut and Paste Sentence Scramble Worksheets
- Princess Color by Sight Word Worksheets
- Free Telling Time Puzzles make learning to use a clock FUN
- HUGE 250+ page Unit with activities, experiments, information, and Ocean Animal Worksheets
- Discover 16 amazing places around the world with these Country worksheets Study
- Crack the Code Worksheets for practicing math while having fun
- Learn about Animal printables with these free printable cootie catchers
- Fun, hands-on History Lessons for kids
- Lots of 1st Grade Science Projects
- Over 1+ million pages of Free Printable Worksheets
Winter worksheets for kindergarten
By using resources from my site you agree to the following:
- You may print as many copies as you ‘d like to use in your classroom, home, or public library.
- Please share by linking to this page. This product may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, 4sShared, Mediafire, email, etc.)
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!