Sneak in some fun winter math with this hands-on snowman counting activity! This simple counting activity for January is both educational and fun! Use this snowman activity for preschoolers, toddler, preschool, pre-k, and kindergarten age students!
Snowman Counting Activity
Make learning fun with toddlers, preschoolers, and kindergartners by incorporating a fun winter theme during December, January, and February. This snowman counting activity is a great for practicing counting in a visual way. We like to use this winter activity as a snowman math activity for young kids. Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – you will love this cute counting butons on a snowman idea.
- A tray like this or a tray with 3 loose small cups/bowls
- Cotton pads
- Black felt
- Black and orange marker
- White marker or Tipex pen
Simply add the cotton wool to the tray in the shape of a snowman. Draw the face using the markers. Cut some hats(I cut 10) from the felt and number them(I used a Tipex pen for this).
Snowman activity for preschoolers
Ready to play and learn? Picking up the buttons work on fine motor skills. Placing the buttons onto the right spot works on hand eye coordination. Your child will need to be able to recognize numbers and count it out for this activity. For younger children, only work with number 1-3 or use dots rather than the written number. Increase the number of hats(and numbers) as your child develops.
Snowman counting game
Let your child choose a hat(or, you could add a dice to the game and roll it to determine what number hat to take), count out how many buttons you need according to the number on the hat, and add it to the snowman.
After your older child added lots of buttons, you can reverse the game and take away the next hat you choose. Working on subtraction too.
Extend the activity more by only adding blue buttons, then red buttons etc. This way, you work on visual discrimination skills(sorting) too!
A fun, educational activity for you preschooler or kindergartner! Frosty the Snowman, lalalalalalala….
Snowman Activities for Kids
- S is for Snowman Theme
- Easy Circle Sticker Snowman Craft
- Plastic Cup Snowman Craft
- EASY Glue Snowman Crafts for Preschoolers
- YUM! How to Make Snow Ice Cream with just 2 ingredients!
- 100 Winter Crafts and Activities for Kids
- Making historic SNOW CANDY!
- Squirt Gun Snow Painting
- Snow Dough for Kids
- Amazingly EASY Puffy Snow Paint Recipe
- LOTS of Snowflake Crafts A to Z
- Super Cool Snow Volcano Science Experiment
- Melting Snowman Slime Recipe
- Cute Snow globe Craft for Kids
Looking for snowman worksheets and educational snowman activity ideas? You will love these resources!
- Build-a-Snowman Winter CVC Words Activity
- Snowman Addition Clip Cards
- Snowman Counting Cards
- Free Snowman Worksheet Pack with LOTS of pages
- Winter Counting Worksheets
- Free Winter Writing Prompts PDF
- Multiplication Snowman Activity
- Snowman Printables Winter letter Find
- Snowman Tracing Letters A to Z
- Snowflake Winter Compound Words
- Build a Snowman Sequencing Worksheets
- Snowman Printables Counting Book
- Winter Worksheets for Preschoolers
- Snowman Word Family Spinners
- Snowman Math Craft for practicing addition and subtraction
- Winter Telling Time Worksheets
- Snowflake Dab the Letter
- Snowman Activities for Preschool – Count to 10
- Cute Snowman Shape Puzzles
- Free Snowman Coloring Pages
Leave a Reply