January is such a cold, dreary month. Christmas is over, so the fun of the cold weather is diminished….unless you bring out some fun snowman activities. These cute, Free Snowman Addition Within 10 Clip Cards brighten up dreary days and bring in a little fun to practicing math facts. And these adorable snowmen are the perfect way to practice all the combinations of getting to 10.
Addition Practice for Kids
- Addition Tic-Tac-Toe Game
- Butterfly Spring Addition Mats
- Spring Addition Puzzles
- Baseball Addition within 5 Activity
- Ladybug Addition Game
- Princess Addition Flashcards
- Gumball Addition Worksheets
- Addition Mini Book
- Deck of Cards Addition
Snowman Addition Within 10 Clip Cards
Why Should My Kids Know This:
Knowing all the ways to get to ten is one way people do mental math. My oldest is extremely good at math and can solve problems quickly in his head. When I ask him how he solved, most the time he uses a getting to 10 strategy.
Let’s say he is adding 46 + 9. This is what the conversation in his head will look like.
How do I get to 50….add four (getting to 10 rule).
Well, I added four, so now I have to take away four from 9. And that is 5.
50 + 5 = 55.
These clip cards require very little prep-work.
- First, print off the cards on card stock paper.
- Next, cut out and then laminate.
- Finally, gather up clothes pins.
Now they are ready to use.
The goal of these clip cards is to help children be able to recognize all the equations that equal 10. Each clip card has three equations, but only one equation is true.
With this clip card, the children have a ten frame with five dots. All the equation start with five and the children must figure out how many they need to add to the five to get to ten.
Some children, like my oldest when he was little, will look at the ten frames and know automatically that when you add five you will get to 10. They will find the equation that says 5 + 5 = 10 and clip it.
Others though may need a little extra help. They might see this clip card and have no idea how to get to 10. Allow them to draw dots on the ten frames. They will see that they had to draw eight dots. So now they know that 2 + 8 = 10.
Winter Activities for Kids
Looking for more fun, creative ways you can begin homeschooling for free? See our history lesson plans, free math games, english worksheets, sight words activities, alphabet worksheets, and cvc word games for kids of all ages!
Winter Books for Kids
Download Snowman Addition Within 10
By downloading from my site you agree to the following:
- This is for personal use only (teachers please see my TPT store)
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Day Designs.
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!