Holy cow this is cool! Help kids explore science with this fun-to-make milk science experiment that results in beautifully colored notecards for writing notes! Use this milk science activity to make a beautiful milk craft for preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, and 2nd grade students.
Marbled Note Cards
My daughter looks just like my husband, but her personality and interests are mine all the way. She is always game for anything that has to do with mixing, creating or concocting. One of her newest interest is writing notes. Now that she can sound words out she is always leaving us little notes and giving notes to her friends and teachers. It is so cute and excellent for having keepsakes from her childhood. I decided that we would try something new that combined all of her interests, which is when we came up with using science to create art that she can give and these Marble Notecards Created With Science were made.
Neither one of us was sure if it would turn out, but to my surprise it turned out better than either of us expected! This process is full of science and amazement and the result is gorgeous! We are both proud and excited of how these note cards turned out.
Milk Science Experiment
Gather your materials; they should all be things you have laying around your house!
- Food Coloring
- Dish Soap
- Blank Notecards or Cardstock
- Plate with a lip
We started with a dinner plate. We used this not only for it’s size but because it has a definite lip on the side to keep the milk in place.
We poured milk onto the plate until it completely filled the center.
Next we put drops of food coloring in random spots around the milk. We used 2-3 colors. We did two different rounds with matching colors. The first was green, blue and teal. The second was yellow, red and orange. I wanted to keep the colors similar because I think if non-matching colors mixed it would just turn brown. If you’re looking for brown colors that would be great, but we wanted bright colors.
The next step is the fun, science part. We put a few drops of dish soap into the center of the plate. The dish soap mixed with the milk created motion which basically stirred the food coloring through the milk. The milk being a thick liquid ensured that the colors didn’t mix too quickly or completely, it created a marble effect with the colors.
We watched the motion for a few moments in amazement and awe. It was a sight to see for sure.
When the movement slowed down we took our blank note cards and pressed them down into the liquid. We made sure all of the note card was covered, or most of it, but didn’t let the cards stay in the milk for too long. I didn’t want the paper to saturate so much that it became weak, just enough to get color on the card.
Milk Art Project
Milk Craft for Kids
This is such a fun project that is useful too!
- S is for Snowman Ideas for a week-long theme
- Easy Circle Sticker Snowman Craft
- Plastic Snowman Cup Craft
- EASY Glue Snowman Craft
- Adorable Keepsake Snowman Handprint Ornament
- Amazingly EASY Puffy Snow Paint Recipe
- LOTS of Snowflake Crafts A to Z
- Cute, DIY Snow globes for Kids
- Paper Plate Snowman Wreath
- Construction Paper Snowman Wreath Craft for Kids this Winter
- Suncatcher Snowman Craft for Preschoolers
- Snowy Owl Babies Art for kids to make with a fork or this owl paper bag puppet
- Simple and Beautiful Winter Crayon Resist Art
- 100 Winter Crafts for Kids
- Simple Foil Icicle Craft for Preschoolers
- Snow Textured Paint project for kids
- EPIC Snow Paint Idea for winter
- Snow Shaving Cream Activities for kids
- Tissue Paper Snowflakes Craft
- Easy Hot Chocolate Craft
- Sticky Yarn Snowflake Craft Preschool
- Felt Snowflake Art Project for Kids
- Colorful Chromatography Snowflake Craft for Kids
- Paint Swatch Tree Winter Craft for Preschoolers
- Winter Snow Slime Recipe Activity for Kids
- How Do you Make EASY Snow Clay for Christmas Ornament Crafts
- FUN Snowman Launcher – Winter Activities for Preschoolers
- Melting Snowman Slime Recipe and Activity
- Making historic Snow Candy (with 2 recipes!)
- Squirt Gun Snow Painting
- YUM! How to Make Snow Ice Cream with just 2 ingredients!
- Chilly Snow Dough Antarctica Activities for preschoolers
- 30+ January Activities for Kids
- Bauble Christmas Ornament Craft with FREE Printables
- Snowman Handmade Greeting Cards Winter Craft for Kids
Looking for more fun winter science projects for kids? We’ve got lots of fun ideas for you to try!
- Super Cool Snow Volcano Science Experiment
- Winter Melting Snowman Experiment
- Snowman Eruptions with Simple Snowman Science Winter Experiment for kids
- Melting Snowman Slime Recipe
- Easy Exploding Snowman – Winter Science Experiment
- Snowman Measuring Snowfall – Winter STEM Activity
- Winter Marble Notecards created with science
- Erupting Snow Winter Science Experiment
- How to Make Frost in a can- Winter Science Experiment
Looking for snowman worksheets and educational snowman activity ideas? You will love these resources!
- Snowman Tracing Letters A to Z
- Free Winter Writing Prompts PDF, preschool winter pre-writing worksheets, or these snowman writing prompts
- Snowman Printables Winter letter Find
- Build a Snowman Sequencing Worksheets
- Snowman Word Family Spinners
- Free Snowman Coloring Pages
- Snowman Beginning Sounds
- Winter Color by Letter
- Build-a-Snowman Winter CVC Words Activity
- Snowman Parts of Speech Winter Worksheets
- Arctic Animals Kindergarten Sight Words Game
- Hot Chocolate Game or Mitten Beginning Sounds Game
- Hot Cocoa Winter Rhyming Words Puzzles, winter rhyming words activity, or these hat winter themed rhyming words puzzles
- Snowflake Winter Compound Words Printables and Activities
- Self-Correcting Winter Boots Alphabet Game
- Mitten Blend Puzzles – Winter Activities for Kindergarten
- Winter Syllables Printable Activity
- Penguin Sight Word Worksheets
- Winter Math Telling Time Worksheets and Activities
- Snowman Addition Clip Cards
- Multiplication Snowman Activity
- Winter Snowballs Odd and Even Games Printable
- Snowman Counting Task Cards Activity
- Snowman Math Craft or this build a snowman math for practicing addition and subtraction
- Snowman Activities for Preschool – Count to 10
- Super cute Winter Counting Worksheets for preschoolers
- Hands-on Snowman Counting Activity for young learners
- Snowman Mulitiplication Puzzles
- Free Printable Snowman Counting Book
- Cute Snowman Shape Puzzles
- Winter Math Activity with Snap Cube Pattern Cards
- Hot Chocolate Math – Addition and Subtraction Fact Families
- Addition Mitten Math Matching game for Kindergartners
- Fraction Snowflakes Activity
- Winter Colors – Penguin Matching Game or this Mitten Match Game
- Mitten Winter Playdough Mats
- Penguin Printable Math Clip Cards for counting to 20
- Winter Math – Skip counting puzzles
- Hundreds Chart Winter Color by Number or these more simple winter color by number worksheets
- Snowman Worksheets working on place value
- Polar Animals Skip Counting Workshsets
- Snowman Worksheet pack with lots of pages of math, literacy, and more for 3-8 years-olds.
- Check out even more ideas in this Winter Theme
- Penguin Activities for Penguin Awareness Day on January 20th
- Simple Winter Coloring Pages
- Winter Worksheets for Preschoolers
- Don’t miss these fantastic Winter Read Alouds, fun Winter Picture Books, or these Winter Books for Preschoolers
- Roll and Dab Winter Activity Sheets or these winter printables to learn color words with bingo markers
- Winter Worksheets for Kindergarten and Preschoolers
- Arctic Animals Worksheets -huge pack with math and literacy skills for toddler, pre-k, kindergarten, and first graders
- Winter Birds Worksheet for working on letters, counting, addition, and more! (huge pack!)
- Penguin Life Cycle WOrksheet Pages
- Sequencing How to Build a Snowman Worksheets