Holy cow this is cool! Help kids explore science with this fun-to-make milk science experiment that results in beautifully colored notecards for writing notes! Use this milk science activity to make a beautiful milk craft for preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, and 2nd grade students.
Marbled Note Cards
My daughter looks just like my husband, but her personality and interests are mine all the way. She is always game for anything that has to do with mixing, creating or concocting. One of her newest interest is writing notes. Now that she can sound words out she is always leaving us little notes and giving notes to her friends and teachers. It is so cute and excellent for having keepsakes from her childhood. I decided that we would try something new that combined all of her interests, which is when we came up with using science to create art that she can give and these Marble Notecards Created With Science were made.
Neither one of us was sure if it would turn out, but to my surprise it turned out better than either of us expected! This process is full of science and amazement and the result is gorgeous! We are both proud and excited of how these note cards turned out.
Milk Science Experiment
Gather your materials; they should all be things you have laying around your house!
- Food Coloring
- Dish Soap
- Blank Notecards or Cardstock
- Plate with a lip
We started with a dinner plate. We used this not only for it’s size but because it has a definite lip on the side to keep the milk in place.
We poured milk onto the plate until it completely filled the center.
Next we put drops of food coloring in random spots around the milk. We used 2-3 colors. We did two different rounds with matching colors. The first was green, blue and teal. The second was yellow, red and orange. I wanted to keep the colors similar because I think if non-matching colors mixed it would just turn brown. If you’re looking for brown colors that would be great, but we wanted bright colors.
The next step is the fun, science part. We put a few drops of dish soap into the center of the plate. The dish soap mixed with the milk created motion which basically stirred the food coloring through the milk. The milk being a thick liquid ensured that the colors didn’t mix too quickly or completely, it created a marble effect with the colors.
We watched the motion for a few moments in amazement and awe. It was a sight to see for sure.
When the movement slowed down we took our blank note cards and pressed them down into the liquid. We made sure all of the note card was covered, or most of it, but didn’t let the cards stay in the milk for too long. I didn’t want the paper to saturate so much that it became weak, just enough to get color on the card.
Milk Art Project
Milk Craft for Kids
This is such a fun project that is useful too!
Winter Activities for Kids
Looking for more fun winter crafts and winter activities for kids of all ages? Don’t miss these winter activity ideas!
- Kids will love making this super cute circle snowman craft!
- This easy-to-make Puffy Snow Paint is amazing! It has the best texture, dries promptly and completely, and makes the cutest little snowman crafts.
- Tons of fun snowflake crafts for kids of all ages
- Now you have a reason to get excited when it snows! Your whole family will enjoy this super-easy-to-make Snow Ice Cream recipe. YUMMY!
- Find lots more engaging winter themed ideas in these January Activities for Kids
- Silly melting snowman slime
- Come take a peak at how these glue snowman suncatcher craft turns out! Such a fun, simple idea with stunning results!
- Try this epic winter science experiment making a snow volcano
- Make this beautiful keepsake snowman handprint ornament
- You’ve got to try this easy, DIY Snow globe craft for kids
- Super cute, count-to-10 Snowman Craft for Preschoolers
Looking for snowman worksheets and educational snowman activity ideas? You will love these resources!
- Build-a-Snowman Winter CVC Words Activity
- Snowman Addition Clip Cards
- Snowman Counting Cards
- Free Snowman Worksheet Pack with LOTS of pages
- Sneak in some fun winter learning with these super cute, Free snow globe letter find snow worksheets
- Winter Counting Worksheets
- Free Winter Writing Prompts PDF
- Multiplication Snowman Activity
- Snowman Printables Winter letter Find
- Snowman Tracing Letters A to Z
- Snowflake Winter Compound Words
- Build a Snowman Sequencing Worksheets
- Snowman Printables Counting Book
- Winter Worksheets for Preschoolers
- Free printable shape puzzles for winter
- Snowman Word Family Spinners
- Snowman Math Craft for practicing addition and subtraction
- Winter Telling Time Worksheets
- Snowflake Dab the Letter
- Snowman Activities for Preschool – Count to 10
- Cute Snowman Shape Puzzles
- Free Snowman Coloring Pages
- Build a Snowman with these Beginning Sounds Snowman Printable