If you are working on reading compound words, these fun Compound Words Snowflake Puzzles will be a great addition to your school day! Match the compound words and write down the results!
Compound Words Snowflake Puzzles
Reading strategies and tricks are an essential part of learning to read. Tricks like knowing that some words break down into smaller words can make a big difference between a confident reader and a struggling reader. These Compound Words Snowflake Puzzles work on enforcing the idea that some words are made up of two smaller words. If we can read the smaller words, we can read the big word.
It is also helpful for spelling. If we can spell the smaller words, we can spell the big word!
There are two sets of puzzles – the smaller ones and bigger ones. The smaller ones are two words that make up the compound word (such as dog and house). The larger puzzle is the compound word.
Print all of the puzzles on cardstock so they can stand up to more use.
The smaller puzzles are meant to be printed double-sided. On the back, the compound word will be made when the puzzle is matched correctly. Make sure to print where the page flips on the short end.
The first step is to find two sides of the snowflake that make one real word.
These puzzles are self-correcting. If you print them double sided, the back of the puzzles will produce the compound word.
Once all the puzzle halves are matched, it’s time to match them to the compound word.
Pan + cake turns into Pancake!
If you want to include writing or spelling, don’t forget to print out the recording sheet! After matching up the puzzles, your kids can write down the words they have made.
For more practice with compound words try:
- Compound Words Clip Cards
- Hands on Compound Words with Blocks
- FREE Compound Words Little Reader
- Cute Compound Word Puzzles
More FREE Winter Printables
- Free Winter Dot Marker Printables
- Snowman Sequencing Worksheets
- Winter Spin a Fraction
- Arctic Animals Pack
- Printable Winter Roll a Silly Sentence
- Fun Winter Color by Number
- Snowman Worksheets
- Math: Winter Addition Mats
- Skip Counting Winter Puzzles
- Winter Count to 10 Pack
- Hundreds Chart Winter Coloring
Don’t miss all our free printable worksheets for kindergarten and kindergarten activites with 300,000+ different ideas to make learning FUN! Or sneak in some seasonal kids activities to make the most of these precious early years!
Have other children you are homeschooling? You will want to check out our pre k worksheets, first grade worksheets, and free alphabet printables. Plus find our history for kids and easy science experiments for kids or all our free printable worksheets for kids.
Download Compound Words Snowflake Puzzles
Before you download your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All downloadable material provided on this blog is copyright protected.