If you are working on reading compound words for kids, these super cute free winter compound words printables will be a great addition to your school day! There are several compound word activities in this set including snowflake compound word puzzles and cute compound word worksheets. Simply download pdf file with winter printables to make practicing compound words fun for kindergarten, first grade, and 2nd grade students.
Compound Words for Kids
Reading strategies and tricks are an essential part of learning to read. Tricks like knowing that some words break down into smaller words can make a big difference between a confident reader and a struggling reader. These winter themed Compound Words Printables are sure to make learning about compound words fun for kindergartners, grade 1, and grade 2 students. The set includes both free compound word worksheet and cute Snowflake Puzzles to reinforce the idea that some words are made up of two smaller words. If we can read the smaller words, we can read the big word. It is also helpful for spelling. If we can spell the smaller words, we can spell the big word!
Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – this winter literacy activity is engaging and a great way to make learning fun! Use this as extra practice, winter literacy center, snow theme, winter theme, or supplement to your homeschool language arts curriculum.
Winter compound words
Compound word activities
There are two sets of puzzles – the smaller ones and bigger ones. The smaller ones are two words that make up the compound word (such as dog and house). The larger puzzle is the compound word.
Print all of the puzzles on cardstock so they can stand up to more use.
The smaller puzzles are meant to be printed double-sided. On the back, the compound word will be made when the puzzle is matched correctly. Make sure to print where the page flips on the short end.
Compound words exercises
The first step is to find two sides of the snowflake that make one real word.
These puzzles are self-correcting. If you print them double sided, the back of the puzzles will produce the compound word.
Compound words game
Once all the puzzle halves are matched, it’s time to match them to the compound word.
Compound Word Puzzles
Pan + cake turns into Pancake!
Compound Words Worksheet
If you want to include writing or spelling, don’t forget to print out the recording sheet! After matching up the puzzles, your kids can write down the words they have made. This making compounds words with pictures includes cute clipart for kids.
Compound Word Activities
For more practice learning compound words for kids, try these fun compound word ideas for early learners!
- Learning Compound Words with Block – a fun compound words activities
- Compound Word Puzzles – print the free set in color or black and white (self-checking)
- Apple Compound Words for kids Worksheets
- Clip it Free Compound Word Cards
- 5 Free Compound Word Activities – including picture cards, worksheets, puzzles, and more!
- Winter Compound Word Activities – free printable set includes compound word worksheets and snowflake puzzles
- Free printable Compound Words for Kids printable readers
Snowman Activities for Kids
- S is for Snowman Theme
- Easy Circle Sticker Snowman Craft
- Plastic Cup Snowman Craft
- EASY Glue Snowman Crafts for Preschoolers
- YUM! How to Make Snow Ice Cream with just 2 ingredients!
- 100 Winter Crafts and Activities for Kids
- Making historic SNOW CANDY!
- Squirt Gun Snow Painting
- Snow Dough for Kids
- Amazingly EASY Puffy Snow Paint Recipe
- LOTS of Snowflake Crafts A to Z
- Super Cool Snow Volcano Science Experiment
- Melting Snowman Slime Recipe
- Cute Snow globe Craft for Kids
Looking for snowman worksheets and educational snowman activity ideas? You will love these resources!
- Build-a-Snowman Winter CVC Words Activity
- Snowman Addition Clip Cards
- Snowman Counting Cards
- Free Snowman Worksheet Pack with LOTS of pages
- Winter Counting Worksheets
- Free Winter Writing Prompts PDF
- Multiplication Snowman Activity
- Snowman Printables Winter letter Find
- Snowman Tracing Letters A to Z
- Snowflake Winter Compound Words
- Build a Snowman Sequencing Worksheets
- Snowman Printables Counting Book
- Winter Worksheets for Preschoolers
- Snowman Word Family Spinners
- Snowman Math Craft for practicing addition and subtraction
- Winter Telling Time Worksheets
- Snowflake Dab the Letter
- Snowman Activities for Preschool – Count to 10
- Cute Snowman Shape Puzzles
- Free Snowman Coloring Pages
Compound Words Snowflake Puzzles
Before you grab your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All material provided on this blog is copyright protected.