Kids will have fun making this beautiful and easy-to-make crayon resist art project this winter. This Crayon Art for Kids feautres pretty candles and a warm firelight glow bewind them; it is a fun winter craft for kids to make during December and January. This project can be as simple or complicated as your child wants making it perfect for toddler, preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, and 2nd grade students.
Crayon Resist Art
The Earth is made of two halves known as the Northern and Southern Hemispheres. If you live in the United States, you are in the Northern Hemisphere. Winter in the Northern Hemisphere begins on December 21 or 22nd. It is known as the Winter Solstice. Prior to the Winter Solstice the days become progressively shorter and the nights longer. Less daylight lends itself to more time indoors, being together. Winter can be a wonderful time spent together! Put on some comfy clothing, grab the art supplies, and get creative as a family!
Try making this crayon art for kids with your family this winter! This activity is perfect for children and adults of all ages! You and your kids will be delighted to see the candles appear like magic from the paper! Try making this art with your kindergartners, grade1, preschoolers, and grade 2 as well. There is no wrong way to create this winter scene! Have fun with it! Enjoy the process and the time spent together creating beautiful candle art.
Crayon resist watercolor
To make this fun winter art project for kids you only need a few simple materials you probably already have on hand:
- White cardstock or thick construction paper
- White crayons
- Paint brushes
To create a beautiful winter candle lit scene:
- Grab your white cardstock or thick construction paper and white crayons.
- Begin to draw multiple vertical lines across the paper. If you find it too difficult to see your lines on white paper, move to a light-colored paper such a pink or blue.
- Draw the vertical lines at varying heights. Add some lines at the same height.
- For the lines that are the same height, add an oval to the top to connect them. They are now one candle.
- Each of the other lines will be candles that appear behind the whole candles. Add part of an oval at the top, stopping at the edge of the candle “in front”.
- Add a vertical line to create the wick and a flame to each candle.
Crayon art for kids
- Add water to your watercolor palette.
- Use your paint brush to apply watercolors in a circular motion to the paper. This will give the illusion of bouncing candlelight! Try using colors in a warm palette of yellow, orange and red.
- Continue painting in a circular motion until all the candles and paper are covered.
Winter art project for kids
Hang or lay your paper flat to dry. Repeat the process many times because it is so fun!
Winter science activities for preschoolers
Looking for more fun winter science projects for kids? We’ve got lots of fun ideas for you to try!
- Super Cool Snow Volcano Science Experiment
- Melting Snowman Winter Science Experiment
- Snowman Eruptions – Simple Winter Science Experiments
- Melting Snowman Slime Recipe
- Easy Exploding Snowman – Winter Science Experiment
- Snowman Measuring Snowfall – Winter STEM Activity
- Erupting Snow Winter Science Experiment
- How to Make Frost in a Can Winter Science Experiment
Snowman Activities for Kids
- S is for Snowman Theme
- Easy Circle Sticker Snowman Craft
- Plastic Cup Snowman Craft
- EASY Glue Snowman Crafts for Preschoolers
- YUM! How to Make Snow Ice Cream with just 2 ingredients!
- 100 Winter Crafts and Activities for Kids
- Winter Solstice Candles
- Paper Roll Snowflakes
- Clay and Spice Ornaments
- Making historic SNOW CANDY!
- Squirt Gun Snow Painting
- Snow Dough for Kids
- Amazingly EASY Puffy Snow Paint Recipe
- LOTS of Snowflake Crafts A to Z
- Cute Snow globe Craft for Kids
Looking for snowman worksheets and educational snowman activity ideas? You will love these resources!
- Build-a-Snowman Winter CVC Words Activity
- Snowman Addition Clip Cards
- Snowman Counting Cards
- Free Snowman Worksheet Pack with LOTS of pages
- Winter Counting Worksheets
- Free Winter Writing Prompts PDF
- Multiplication Snowman Activity
- Snowman Printables Winter letter Find
- Snowman Tracing Letters A to Z
- Snowflake Winter Compound Words
- Build a Snowman Sequencing Worksheets
- Snowman Printables Counting Book
- Winter Worksheets for Preschoolers
- Snowman Word Family Spinners
- Snowman Math Craft for practicing addition and subtraction
- Winter Telling Time Worksheets
- Snowflake Dab the Letter
- Snowman Activities for Preschool – Count to 10
- Cute Snowman Shape Puzzles
- Free Snowman Coloring Pages