Good reading habits start young. Most children enjoy being transported into the world a book opens up for them. However, reading for pleasure can easily be pushed aside with school and extracurricular activities. Some children find themselves having trouble with reading comprehension or struggle with vocabulary which can make reading more challenging.
Becoming a good reader is more than just opening a book and for 20 minutes at a time.
While it does instill good reading habits to encourage reading for a particular length of time, a child should be reading for understanding as well. So when you child sits down to read, hand her a highlighter or download these bookmarks, so she can quickly and easily keep track of vocabulary words to look up or questions from the reading.
The reading log will help her keep track of what and how long she is reading at a time.
FREE Reading Log and Bookmarks
Steps to Setting Good Reading Habits
- Set a timer for the length of time you and your child have agreed upon.
- Set a time of day that works best for your child to read consistently
- Choose books for pleasure together to start off on the right foot.
- Make sure your child has a comfortable spot for reading that is not prone to distractions.
- Provide her accountability by printing out the reading log and using it daily.
- Provide the bookmarks for questions or vocabulary if needed.
- Discuss what your child is reading with her on a regular basis.
Questions to Ask Your Child for a Book Discussion
- What did you think of the choices the characters made?
- What do you think will happen next?
- How does the book describe the main character?
- How does the book describe the scene?
- What is the theme of the story?
- What is the conflict in the story?
- How do the characters resolve the conflict?
- Do you agree with how the characters reacted in the book?
Begin good reading habits today and download these bookmarks and the reading log to help get your child off to a good start!
- 50 Books for Kindergartners to Read by Themselves
- 45 Must Read Books for Kindergartners (Read Aloud)
- 100 Books for 1st Graders to Read Themselves
- Favorite 1st Grade Read Aloud Picture Books
- 17+ 1st Grade Read Aloud Chapter Books you won’t want to miss!
- Top 25 Chapter Book Series for 1st-3rd Grade
- Best 2nd Grade Reading List
- 2nd Grade Read Aloud Chapter Books
- 3rd Grade Reading List
- 4th Grade Book List
- 5th Grade Reading List
- Historical Fiction for Kids
Other FREE Reading Logs
Download FREE Reading Log and Bookmarks
Before you download your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All downloadable material provided on this blog is copyright protected.