Nothing says summer like going camping and having a big bonfire roasting marshmallows, telling stories, and creating memories as a family using camp fire games. Kids of all ages will enjoy these campfire games! Your family is going to have fun, get closer, and create priceless memories playing these no-prep campfire games for kids!
Camping is a fun activity for families where you get to unplug, slow down, and spend quality time together. One of my favorite parts about camping is the evening campfire. But unless you have lots to talk about or a musician in the family who wants to play their guitar, younger kids may get bored staring at the campfire for a couple hours. Our family likes to play games around the campfire. These campfire games don’t require light, preparation, or anything. Plus these bonfire games are a great way to get to know each other more and create fun memories together. From preschoolers to kindergartners, elementary students in grade 1, grade 2, grade 3, grade 4, grade 5, and grade 6 to middle school and high schoolers – everyone will love these fun campfire games. These games to play around a campfire require no prep, materials, or skills.
Campfire Games for Kids
Without further ado, here are 10 campfire games for families:
Where in world is our family?
This is a great game to help relive past vacations so no one forgets the fun times you’ve had together. The person gives 3 clues about the vacation spot and then other family members get a chance to guess where it is.
“It’s the milk chocolate ride, smells sweet, amazing rose gardens” Answer – Hershey, PA
Add to the Story
One person starts a story then the next person adds to it and so on. It makes for some really funny stories.
“Once up on a time there was a boy walking through the forest when he saw a glowing blue flower.” PASS
If you still have some light why not play I spy in this unique environment. One person says I spy something green. Others try to guess based on these simple clues. Whoever guesses it goes next.
This is a great game for elementary age kids to work on alphabet letters and sounds. Being a Disney loving family we tend to play it like this, but you could play it around any topic or theme
Disney Characters – “A is for Anastasia, B is for Belle, C is for Cheshire Cat, D is for Dumbo, etc.”
Mom’s Silly Stories
It could be Dad or kid too, but in our family it is Mommy who tells great stories. My kid love giving me characters, setting, etc. and then I make up a story that includes these things. They love this!
That makes me think of ….
This is a great game to see what your kids are thinking about and get to know them better. To start say anything and then someone else blurts out what that word makes them think of and it keeps going and going.
Pizza makes me think of Pepperoni makes me think of Mom [’s pizza eggs] makes me think of love , etc.
This is a great opportunity to tell some family history stories. Tell kids the story of how you & your spouse met, a silly story about you growing up, your children’s birth stories, a favorite memory, etc.
Where in the US is Carmen San Diego?
This is a fun clue game to help kids practice some geography to mix this learning and fun game.
“Carmen San Diego is in a very large state that is sunny almost all the time and has a famous zoo”
Instead of making pictures out of clouds in the sky, why not make pictures out of the stars. This game works well when you are out far enough to really see the stars and have old enough children that can stay up late when it is completely dark.
This is my favorite thing we do around the campfire. We do it at least once every camping trip, usually right before the kid go to bed. We each take turns going around and saying 3-5 things we love about a member of our family. It is such a great way to love and encourage each other. My kids look forward to this every year!
Plus don’t forget to make S’mores, sing songs around the campfire, allow time to chat, star gaze, and bring a card game or two to play at the table with a lantern. Which of these campfire game choices will you play first?
Don’t miss our tips for Camping with Kids. Everything you need to plan a successful camping trip with babies, toddlers or kids of all ages. These are tips from a family that spent over 5 weeks tent camping in one year with an 18 month, 4 year old, and 7 year old child.
- Looking for even more road trip activities? Try these road trip printables pdf
- Didn’t have time to print anything? No worries! Try these NO PREP Fun Car Games
- Over 60 Roadtrip Ideas for Kids
- Be inspired by our Revolutionary War Roadtrip
- Grab 20+ Printable Roadtrip Games
- Bring a magnetic board and our Shape Patterns Printables
- Illinois Vacation Ideas and Fieldtrips
- Fun, no prep CAMPFIRE GAMES
- Lots of tips for camping with kids plus C is for camping printables and a camping scavenger hunt
- Take along these fun summer activity sheets
- Prepare for your trip with these roadtrip worksheets
- Taking a plane during your travels? Dont’ miss these tips for flying with kids
- Print off som free coloring pages including these vacation coloring pages
- My kids love doing i spy worksheets in the car like these animal i spy printables, pirate i spy worksheets, and US States I Spy Worksheets
- And if your trip takes you to the most magical place on Earth… don’t miss our HUGE archive of Disney World Planning Tips
Fun things to do in the summer
- Outrageous Leak Proof Bag Science Experiments, Heat Sensitivie Color Changing Slime Recipe
- Summer Science Experiments and 100 Exciting Year-Round Science Experiments , How to Make a Newton’s Cradle Science Expeirment, Edible Peanut Butter Playdough, fun-to-make DIY Foosball Table, White Baking Soda Clay
- Easy Sand Volcano with NO clean-up, Mind-Blowing Magnetic Slime, Strawberry Scented Jello Playdough Recipe
- LOTS of Fun Sidewalk Chalk Games, simple Popsicle Stick Catapult project for kids, vibrant Sidewalk Chalk Paint
- Epic Squirt Gun Painting, Van Gogh Starry Night Aluminum Foil Art Project, or watermelon slime
- 107 Epic Summer Activities for Kids, 100 animal crafts, I Spy DIY Bottles are quick, easy and FUN!
- I Spy DIY Bottles are quick and easy, our favorite Ice Cream Edible Playdough,
- Lego Squishy Circuits Electricity Science Experiments, blow GIANT bubbles with this Homemade Bubble Solution
- Puffy watermelon slime, make your own pvc marshmallow gun, grow a grass house
- Bubble Painting by blowing bubbles, shaving cream butterfly crafts, 25 fun water balloon games, pretty pasta mosaic art, color changeing capillary action experiment with flowers, fun balloon rocket experiment for preschool, bee pollination experiment with jello, how to make a weather vane, Pipe cleaner constellation activities
- How to make a fairy jar,, playdough ice cream math activities for preschoolers, ten frame marshmallow template, alphabet watermelon printable activity, easy Rubber Band Powered Car, paint stick Solar System Project for Kids
- Lots of FUN 4th of july activities, delphinium flower craft, name craft camping crafts for preschoolers, lemonade summer playdough recipe, colorful capillary action experiment, and life size human body project
- Or hang out inside with this fun indoor scavenger hunt printable activity
Summer Printable Activities
- Pool trace numbers 1-20, Sun Summer Tracing Worksheets, Mazes Sight Words Worksheets pdf, Free Summer Worksheets for Kindergarten, Cute Summer Worksheets for Preschoolers, free summer lego challenge cards pdf, free numer coloring pages,
- Counting watermelon activity sheets, or skip counting puzzles, surfboard opposites games printable
- Simple Beach Coloring Pages, free printable summer activity sheets, Seashell Alphabet Matching, pool Summer Worksheets for Preschool, smore free camping math worksheets, Smore complete sentence games, squish painting sun craft, potato stamped bumble bee craft, sandcastle number tracing practice, free summer bookmarks printable
- Water Gun Parts of Speach Game, playdough watermelon seed counting activity, Summertime Dot Art Printables, free printable Beach Worksheets, cute flip flop Letter Matching, free bubble math worksheets, hands-on strawberry rhyming Activity, alphabt printable picture puzzles, free ladybug life cycle worksheet
- Summer Tracing Worksheets for preschoolers, garden Kindergarten sight Word Activities, pail and shovel Matching Letter Game, free summer playdough mats, summer addition puzzles, free summer scavenger hunt, build a sundae place value game, free i spy beach printable, mosquito worksheets, summer color by number
- Firefly preschool counting worksheets, free camping worksheets preschool, I Spy Pirate Game, Crab summer math worksheets, free ice cream math worksheets, free printable summer tracing worksheets, or summer word searches,