Try this fun and easy Crystal Egg Geodes Experiment for a fun, yet simple science experiment that engages children in learning the steps of the scientific method. This eggshell geode science fair project is perfect for toddler, preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, and 2nd grade students. All you need are a few simple materials for this egg science experment that will help get kids excited about science!
One of the things that I adore about this science experiment for kids is that it is you cannot mess it up. If your child does not see their desired results simply analyze what you think may have caused the results, record what was observed, ask questions, then reconstruct and test your Egg geode experiment hypothesis. This egg geode experiment is perfect for toddlers, preschoolers, kindergartners, grade 1, and grade 2 students. This egg science project will create a variety of different crystals all of which will hold a certain WOW factor!
Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – this spring activities for preschoolers science is such a fun activity for learning about crystals. Use it with these free printable The Scientific Method Worksheets to teach about the scientific method for kids.
Egg geode experiment hypothesis
All you need to try this fun geode science experiment are a few simple materials you may already have on hand:
Items Needed for Egg Geodes:
- Rock Salt
- Sea Salt
- Food Coloring
- Clear Plastic Containers
Egg geode experiment
When setting up your experiment the first thing you are going to want to consider is where you are going to place your eggs once they are cracked. I know that seems silly, but trust me, it can be very frustrating to crack your eggs in half only to have the little hands that are helping you shatter that shell. Even if it is a learning experience for them, it will save your sanity to have a designated spot determined before you start.
Also this experiment will take 3-7 days so make sure that this spot can be easily observed, but not easily gotten into. Borax and alum are both chemicals so you want to make sure that you are able to control when and how your child interacts with this experiment.
Crystal egg geodes experiment
You won’t believe how SIMPLE this is! When cracking your eggs for your geodes you are going to want to use a butter knife and start by gently tapping along the edge. Once you have a small crack in the edge of your egg use your butter knife in a sawing motion until it has cut the egg completely in half. While this is messy it is insanely easy!
Egg Science Experiment
Once your eggs are sawed in half you are going to want to heat up some water to not quite boiling and pour it into your containers for mixing. In the first cup (blue) we put 1/2 cup of hot water, and 1/2 cup of borax. This dissolved quickly.
Egg Science Project
In the second container (green) we simply did 1/2 cup of hot water and 1/4 cup of borax. This also dissolved simply. Repeat this for however many substances your family would like to test out.
Spring Science Experiment
Then we placed our eggs into our solutions and waited for the liquid to evaporate. This took approximately 7 days, which did feel like forever.
**Even though I am touching the crystals in these pictures to show you how the crystals turned out please remember that these are chemicals that your children should NOT touch**
Geode science fair project
Our egg geodes created two different styles of crystals. The green container which had less borax created a sugar like crystal.
Egg geode science fair project
The blue container which had more borax created a chunky and shiny crystal. The blue container’s liquid also evaporated much quicker than the green container
Simply stunning if you ask me!
- Easy Floating Egg Experiment
- Amazing Egg in a Bottle Science Experiment
- Fun Egg Drop Project
- EASY Egg geode experiment for kids of all ages!
- Outrageously cool Bouncy Egg Experiment
- Egg Experiment – Silly Spring Activities for Kids
Check out these outrageously FUN spring science experiments for kids:
- Beautiful Chromatography Flowers made with science!
- Amazing Food Coloring Flower Experiment Worksheet where you can turn a flower into two seperate colors!
- Have you tried making butter experiment
- Colorful Jelly Bean Experiment exploring difusion and color matching with a simple activity for kids
- You’ve got to try this simple Color Changing Slime
- Simply Rainbow Density Experiment for springtime
- How Big is a Raindrop – try this raindrop experiment to find out!
- You’ve got to try this Lego Balloon Car
- EASY Egg geode experiment for kids of all ages!
- Make a popsicle stick catapult
- Colorful Polymer Chemistry Experiment
- MUST try capillary action experiment
- Lego DIY Zipline for your backyard
- How to Make a Weather Vane the EASY way
- Pop Rocks Experiment kids will LOVE!
Spring Crafts for Kids
- Super cute Printable Name Flower Craft
- Simple Windsock Craft for kids
- Bleeding Tissue Paper Rainy Day Crafts for Kids
- EASY ink pad spring crafts for toddlers
- EDIBLE, Peeps Playdough Recipe
- Fun-to-Make and lovely painted flower craft preschool
- Make your own yummy milk Rainbow Toast
- This spin art Flower Craft for kids is almost as beautiful as they are fun to make
- Simple Sunflower Crafts that are bright, cheery, and simple to make
- This flower activity for preschoolers changes things up to use flowers to create art
- Plant a Number Line to 10 Math activity for pre-k and kindergarten
- Show off these pretty flower suncatcher craft
- 100 Flower Crafts from A to Z
- Umbrella Handprint Craft
- Silly Grass Head Craft
- Handprint Spring flower art projects
- Rainbow Hand Art Projects for St Patricks Day
- Looking for more fun color activities for kids don’t miss these 37 Colorful Activities for Kids
- Super clever, bubble wrap rain craft
- Wow! Over 100 Spring Crafts for Kids
- Dandelion flower craft project
- Stunning, Easy Stained Glass Art for Kids
- Kids will go nuts over this painting with cars rainbow project
- Amazing Bubble Painting process art project for kids
Looking for some fun, educational spring theme ideas to make learning fun this April and May? Check out these fun resources:
- Cute, free printable Flower Shape Craft for kids
- Flower Rhyming Words Worksheet
- Sunflower Alphabet Matching
- Flower Mazes – Free Printable Sight Word Worksheets
- Pretty Flower Name of Number Puzzles
- F is for Flower Handprint Craft
- Flower Parts of a plant flip book
- Count to 20 Spring Playdough Mats
- Rainbow Shape Playdough Mats
- Spring Do a Dot Printables
- Flower Letter Matching Printable
- Grow a Plant Sequencing Worksheets
- Fun Spring Flower SIght Word Game
- Spring Jelly Bean Egg One to One Correspondence Activities
- Super cute Carrot Shape Playdough Mats for Spring
- Count the Bunny Number Flashcards
- Rainbow Color Matching Game
- Practice adding numbers with this free printable Spring Addition Matching Game
- Planting Carrots CVC Words Activity
- Fruit Loop Rainbow Printables Ten Frame Math Activity
- Umbrella Color Sorting Activity with Fruit Loops
- Practice making shapes with these flower playdough mats
- Spring Flower Counting Games for Preschoolers
- Grab these cute Spring Printables Sudoku Puzzles for kids
- Seed Find the Letter Worksheets
- Umbrella ABC Matching Game
- Frog Alphabet Game Matching Printable
- Kite Beginning Sound Activities printable craft for spring
- Print and GO Spring Scavenger Hunt
- Spring Step by Step Drawings
- Practice reading with this Spring sight word cut and paste reader
- Worm Worksheets Pack
- Spring Telling Time Worksheets
- Digraphy Activity to improve reading and spelling skills with these spring puzzles
- Cute Blubird Soring Blends Activity for first and second graders.
- LOTS of fun PLANTS arts and crafts for preschool and kindergartners