Children are always fascinated by animals and their homes. This animal homes for kids is a fun, no-prep animal activity to add to your school day as part of a zoology course, animals for kids lesson, or just for fun! This animals and their homes for kindergarten, preschool, toddler, pre-k, and first grade students is simple to play. Simply print pdf file for animal habitats for kids game and you are ready to use these FREE printable science clip cards.
Animal Homes for Kids
Teach kids about animals and their homes with free printable clip cards. Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – you will love these low prep animal activities for toddlers, preschoolers, kindergartners, and grade 1 students. This animals and their homes for kindergarten is perfect for a science center teaching kids about animal homes for kids, summer learning, extra practice learning about animals for kids, activitiy for students who finish quickly, animals theme, or enrichment for your current science curriculum about animal habitats for kids.
Animals and their homes for kindergarten
Animals and their Homes
One early math (and literacy) skill we can encourage is the ability to match and classify objects. Being able to match and classify means that children are learning to describe relationships between objects, places or people. Sometimes it means looking closely to determine whether something IS a match, or it might mean deciding why something is NOT a match.
For example, an elephant is big and doesn’t have wings so it’s going to need some space and it won’t be able to live in the sky. Even if a child has never seen an elephant before or has never read a picture book with an elephant in it, they’ll still be able to reason this out (unless they’re thinking of Dumbo)! Much of our future knowledge is based on prior knowledge which is why reading to young children is so important. It’s stories like The Ugly Duckling that teach children how much ducks like ponds!
Sometimes our ability to match and classify needs prior knowledge. For example, if we look at a crab we could assume it might like the desert because it’s got everything it needs to dig awesome holes. So, this is when real life experiences, books and discussions become important. While there might be crabs in deserts (I’m not a desert expert), hanging out around the rock pools at the beach seems much more likely!
Animal Habitats for Kids
Print off the pages in color on card stock or use a laminator for durability. Simply cut the clip cards apart and store in a galloon size ziplock bag for easy storage.
Now find some little pegs, paper clips, clothespins, or other small objects for students to mark their answers and you are ready to play!
Printable Pictures of Animals and their Homes
This fun activty is better than a animals and their homes worksheetsb, because it is in color and is reusable!
Ask your child to look at the animal and the 3 habitat options. Have them name the animal (they might need help) and chat about what the animal looks like and how well they might be able to survive in the different habitats.
Now mark the habitat your child believes is best suited to the animal. If any questions get raised, do an internet search if possible to encourage your child to look for answers to their own questions.
- duck lives in the pond
- butterfly lives among bushes and flowers
- crab lives in the ocean
- camel lives in the desert
- alligator lives in the swamp
- fish lives in the ocean
- frog lives in the pond
- cow lives in the pasture fields
- bear lives in a cave
- jellyfish lives in the ocean
- elphant lives in the savannah or grassland
- ram lives on the mountain / cliff
Matching Animals to their Habitats
Use this animal homes printable as a springboard to learn more about animals for kids:
- look them up on national geographic
- read a nonfiction book from the library
- visit the animal at the zoo (take one of our zoo scavenger hunts to make it extra fun and educational)
- write an animal report
- Are you My Mother? Matching Mom & Baby Farm Animals
- Animal Homes Clip Cards
- Farm Animals and their Homes Flip Book
- Nocturnal Animal Game for Kids
- Zoo Animal Reports
- Free Zoo Animals Worksheet – several leverls to choose from toddler, prek, elementary and middle school
- Jello Animal Cell Project
- Animal Habitats Activity with Animal Cookies
- Silly Animals and their Habitats Activity
- Animal Habitats Worksheets to complete with circle stickers
- Biomes Coloring Pages
- Animal Cookie Matching Activity
- Jello Animal Cells Project
- Silly Puzzles Animal Habitat Activity
- Nocturnal Animals Printables
- Endangered Animals Worksheets
- Forest Animals Themed Worksheets
- Arctic Animals Themed Worksheets
- Desert Animals Themed Worksheets
- Pond Worksheets for Kids
- Turkey Life Cycle Worksheets
- Life Cycle of Salmon Worksheets
- Life Cycle of an Ant
- Free Bat Life Cycle Worksheets
- Ladybug Life Cycle Worksheets
- Hatching Butterflies with Free Butterfly Printable worksheet and observation journal
- Life Cycles for Kids – a growing collection with over 20 different animals to explore from penguins to sunflowers, salmon, butterfly, and more!
- Animal Habitat Game
Animal Printables for Kids
We have lots of fun, hands on activities to teach kids about animals! Whether you are completing a zoology lesson , supplementing your homeschool science lesson, or just learning about your child’s favorite animals, we’ve got some fantastic resources filled with cute clipart and engaging activities:
- Free Animal Classifications for Kids Cootie Catchers
- Zoo Scavenger Hunt (includes simple picture clues for Pre k and more complex animal classification, biomes, endangered threat, etc for older elementary age students
- Animal Classification Worksheets to cut & paste
- Free Hibernation Printables
- Shark for Kids Printble Reader
- Endangered Animals Worksheet
- Ocean Animals for Kids – over 240 pages organized into 7 lessons to study aquatic animals using easy-to-understand text, hands-on science experiments, fun worksheets, and more with K-8th grade students.
- Animal Habitat Worksheets – Do a Dot Printable
- Jungle Writing Prompts Worksheets for kids
Animals for Kids
Sneak in some additional learning activities featuring these amazing animals with these clever resources:
- Zoo Animals Color by Number
- Count to 10 Zoo Animals Reader
- Animal Homes for Kids Clip Cards
- I Spy Animals Worskheet
- Jungle Animal Coloring Pages
- Biomes Coloring Pages
- Preschool Animals Theme
- Animal Activities for Preschoolers with Animal Cookies
- Beginning Sounds Animal Cards
- Uppercase Tracing Letters with Animals A-Z
- Printable Animal Masks
- Animal I Spy
- Count and Cover Zoo Animals with Cheerios
- 100 Amazing Zoo Animal Crafts
Animals and their homes worksheets
Before you grab your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All material provided on this blog is copyright protected.