Is your child working on learning the sounds letters make to distinguish what alphabet letter a word starts with? These free printable Letter Sound Cards are a handy phonemic awareness activity for preschool, pre-k, and kindergarten age kids. These alphabet sound cards is great for teaching phonics and beginning sounds so children will be ready to read! Use these with magnetic letters as an alphabet activity.
Letter Sound Cards
The alphabet. It’s the foundation for teaching children to read. Without a firm grasp of the alphabet, children will struggle as they learn to read. As parents and teachers, our job is to find ways that engage our children and help them learn their letters in a fun engaging way. This alphabet activity is a fun, hands on activity for helping preschoolers and kindergartners work on letter recognition, beginning sounds, and letter recognition. Simply print the Letter Sound Cards and pull out any letter manipulatives you have on hand for an engaging letter activity that is fun!
Alphabet Sound Cards
Free Printable Letter Sound Cards
There is very little prep-work for this phonics activity, and if you print them on cardstock and laminate the cards, they will last a long time.
Set out the cards, a cookie tray, and magnetic alphabet letters. YOu are ready for this fun literacy activity.
Printable letter sound cards
Before I sat my three-year-olds down with me, I made sure I had every letter of the alphabet out. My little ones do great sitting down and doing activities with me, but if I’m digging for letters or getting materials together I’ve lost them.
I put four of the letter sounds cards on the cookie sheet and then placed six letters next to them. I pointed to each picture and they would tell me what is was. Next, I asked them what letter the picture started with. They then would locate the magnetic letter and finally place it in the square on the task card.
For our last step, we would “read” the word. I would say the word as I ran my finger under it. Then I would have each of my little ones “read” the word while I guided their finger under the word.
- Vocabulary – As the children are looking at the pictures and saying the words, they are building vocabulary. Some of the pictures like “cat” will be familiar to them. Others like igloo, x-ray, or jellyfish may be new for them. This
- Speech – My little girl has struggled with her speech. This activity gives me a wonderful opportunity for her to practice saying specific words. It is even great for her twin brother, who speaks very well for his age. But like most three-year-olds, there are words that he doesn’t pronounce correctly. Again, as we are “reading” words he gets to practice saying them correctly.
- Beginning Sounds – Obviously, as the children are saying the words and finding the letters that it starts with they are practicing beginning sounds.
- Letter Recognition – Since our little ones our having to find the magnetic letters to place on the task cards, they are working on letter recognition.
Looking for more free alphabet printables? You will love these free printable alphabet worksheets, alphabet crafts, and alphabet activities to make learning fun with young learners~
- Find the Letter Worksheets from A to Z
- Cut & Paste Alphabet Worksheets
- Fun Alphabet Dot to Dot
- Hands on Alphabet Playdough mats
- Alphabet Handwriting Worksheets (A to Z)
- Do a Dot Printable Letter Find Worksheets
- Letter Flashcards
- Free ABC Letter Find Printable
- Duplo Alphabet Mats
- Phonics Alphabet Coloring Pages
- Free Printable Letter Crafts (includes both upper and lowercase letter options)
- Super cute Alphabet Hats are great for students learning their ABCs.
- Bingo Dauber Find the Letter Printables – simple worksheets that use do a dot markers to practice making upper and lowercase letters
Looking for more fun, creative ways you can begin homeschooling for free? We have over 1,000,000 pages of FREE pre k worksheets, kindergarten worksheets, grade 1 worksheets, second grade worksheets and more for K12. Plus see our history lesson plans, free math games, english worksheets, sight words activities, alphabet worksheets, and cvc word games for kids of all ages!
Letter sound cards printable
Before you download your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- All downloadable material provided on this blog is copyright protected.